• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Money or life?

Mate, it will depend on what you think you can do in the future. You are young, but you have to ask yourself what you think you can do in the future to make up for the opportunity cost of now. I'll shed some light on my own situation, I started life as a welder and then one day I gave it away to move into hospitality, I then worked my way up the ladder into management of a large, high turnover business with a lot of responsibility, about 35 employees etc, good money etc. I than woke up one day and said to my wife that I hated this life and wanted/needed a change, I always wanted to do uni and gain a career in big business. We sat down and talked it out, I have 2 kids and money simply is bloody important, not just for life style but for my children's future. So I asked myself honestly, if I do this, if I leave this job/life style I worked so hard for, will i succeed in my new one? My honest answer to myself was yes, yes I can do this and make up for the few years of less money etc. We moved to what I call paradise and I now work 2 part-time jobs whilst doing Uni, my wife went back to work to help support me as she also trusts that I will make this work. I can honestly say it hasn't been smooth sailing, money is not flowing like it was before, but I spend way more time with my kids and wife than ever before and love it. I think you need to be honest with yourself and ask yourself if you think you can make a go at starting again somewhere new. If you honestly think you can, than go for it mate, I'm 31 and feel young enough to start again, you are 24, I think you can do it mate. Life is not all about money, it is important yes, but it is also about experiencing new things. I think you know the answer in your heart mate, my experience is opportunities come to those who seek them, this opportunity may be a great way for you to seek even greater opportunities.
Good luck with your decision mate.

I'v thought about a fair bit over the years, when I was younger (16-18) I was more leaning towards life. However due to my personality (or lack of it) that didn't really workout, so now i'm more about making money and saving it. If I change my mind later in life, at least i'll have plenty of money and not stuck in a dead shit job.

I think I have come to realize that maybe the office/city enviroment isnt for me

Theres you answer haha. Say you do stay in your current job, how long do you really think you will last before you have had enough & want to go again..

I'v thought about a fair bit over the years, when I was younger (16-18) I was more leaning towards life. However due to my personality (or lack of it) that didn't really workout, so now i'm more about making money and saving it. If I change my mind later in life, at least i'll have plenty of money and not stuck in a dead shit job.

That makes 2 of us lol

mate go lifestyle. although having said that i work in the valley at a club and its shit knowing your mates are having a good time while your working. it is a good atmosphere though... but def go lifestyle bro

I worked with a guy who is doing very well in his career...high level position in finance, earning around $200k I'd say. He told me about a role he had with some other company a few years back...he said the hours he worked meant he basically didn't see his daughter at all during the week for about a whole year (she was 11 or 12 at that time I think he said).

That conversation i had with the guy was around 5 years ago, but i still remember it very clearly. It paid off for the guy in one sense i.e. he climbed the ladder and is now doing well career/salary wise....but i think it was a poor decision....I wouldn't have done it. Family is everything...you have to make time to shape your kid's character...help them with their emotional growth.

These days every person is busy in his life and looking for the money. But is very dangerous for us that we prefer the money on life and have no spare time to do the exercise and workout to live a healthy life.

dont see whyu cant

1. work a good job earning good money
2. Still live life (travelling/friday/sat night going out and meet people)
3. Work out..

Just gotta balance it properly. It takes some time but eventually it works out well..

Yep, agreed......i think the guy i was referring to, his ambition and ego got in the way of family life. He could still have done very well in his career and still make time for his family, but he wanted more and more out of his career. Bit selfish in some ways.

Everybody has different personalities and goals.

Some people enjoy family life and lifestyle and some others would rather challenge themselves in other ways and feel significant and a sense of achievement by becoming financially sucessful in this game of life.

If you look at elite pro poker players or stock market players who are doing very well sucessfully, spending plenty of time "at work", how could you argue that they don't love what they do?
Yes, it is selfish, but that's what they love doing.

There is no right or wrong, it's what you want to do.

If you have a family, and then suddenly decide you want to become a golf pro and then basically abandon your family because you're practicing 12 hours a day, that would be wrong.

I don't think it's wrong to want money.
I grew up very poor and had an strong sense in me that I would one day be rich since I was about 5 years old, thought about it all the time for some reason.
Finally got there now, so time to work on other goals, like family and lesure.

Honestly i'm just too boring of a person to be the party/going out type. I go out somewhere and have nothing I want to say/do. Unless the people i'm with lift, thats about the only time I could find something to say, even then.

I can talk about other things, but with lifters it's a lot better.

Normally I start talking about lifting relate things with other people and get wtf looks haha

Honestly i'm just too boring of a person to be the party/going out type. I go out somewhere and have nothing I want to say/do. Unless the people i'm with lift, thats about the only time I could find something to say, even then.

This is totally another subject...but not being rude or anything but you need to sort this out and make yourself go out and make friends...pretty sad your life is only about lifting....I could maybe understand if you were training for the Mr.O or something...but mate you only live once...is this really a good way of living your life....no...

I don't think there is anything wrong if most/all of his friends/people he hangs out with are lifters.

If that is who he is that is who he is. Why change that?

This is totally another subject...but not being rude or anything but you need to sort this out and make yourself go out and make friends...pretty sad your life is only about lifting....I could maybe understand if you were training for the Mr.O or something...but mate you only live once...is this really a good way of living your life....no...

I think he may have been exaggerating a little bit. At least I hope so.

Its not that I don't have friends/know people, or that I don't have any other interest but weightlifting (I have plenty of other stuff). Its just when I go out I don't enjoy it at all, probably because I have nothing to say/do. I much prefer going to work, or the gym or tafe then going to a party. Hence why I say i'm too boring of a person to be the lift style out going type.

Its not that I don't have friends/know people, or that I don't have any other interest but weightlifting (I have plenty of other stuff). Its just when I go out I don't enjoy it at all, probably because I have nothing to say/do. I much prefer going to work, or the gym or tafe then going to a party. Hence why I say i'm too boring of a person to be the lift style out going type.

You like smaller gatherings 1-5 people who you know rather than larger gatherings such as parties, clubs, bars etc?

You like smaller gatherings 1-5 people who you know rather than larger gatherings such as parties, clubs, bars etc?

Yeah, providing those 1-5 people share some similar interests to me. I just find it really hard to talk/socialize with people who's idea of fun is getting drunk every weekend.