• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Muscle Rest For Growth

morgan7

If you are going to the gym three days a week Monday, Wednesday, Friday and doing mainly compound exercises like is highlighted in the programs mentioned on here. Would it be beneficial to occasionally go the gym on a Tuesday or Thursday if you had the urge and do some isolation/different exercises. Or does this have a negative affect on muscle growth?

I wouldn't either. I would perhaps go on Saturday and perform some calf and ab work..
But that's just me.

Yeah same as shrek. I'd hit Saturday for some abs
Assuming he's already squatting/deading, a specific ab day is probably over doing it in my opinion.

Heavy gut-busting compounds 3 days a week is enough mate, your body needs its recovery, the way I look at it, fair enough you may feel up to it going and training on the inbetween days, but your next session will suffer, you will find it harder to continually add weight to the bar and your training will eventually stall.

Train hard, rest/recover/eat harder!

Last edited:
Let rest days be rest days.
I did what you mentioned and it can set you back both mentally and physically.
Your body needs time to recover and if you don't give it that time you won't be able to lift big and get big. Thus from this you get upset mentally with yourself and it will deter you from going to gym.

If you are going to the gym three days a week Monday, Wednesday, Friday and doing mainly compound exercises like is highlighted in the programs mentioned on here. Would it be beneficial to occasionally go the gym on a Tuesday or Thursday if you had the urge and do some isolation/different exercises. Or does this have a negative affect on muscle growth?

I have highlighted the most important word in your question. And based on that word I would say go to the gym and answer the call. Of course we can discuss the issue further but I've said enough for now.

Fadi.

I must admit to having that urge.....and actng on it and sneaking into a gym I've got a membershi with. but only train at when i can, late at night for example....
Posted via Mobile Device

Well since school has been winding down and it's now holidays for me I have done a little experiment. I've trained at least 5 - 6 days a week for the past month, doing mostly compound exercises. On usual rest days I would practice snatches and OH squats, clean and press and stuff that I wouldn't normally have time to do. I have even done heavy squat and dead lifts on consecutive days. All I've noticed is I'm never sore, point being is I think if you eat enough and get enough sleep you will be fine for recovery. Also note that my work volume is not that high, I never go above 8 reps and do about 4 - 5 sets for each movement.

How old are you? I honestly believe when your in your teens you can get away with that as long as your diet is alright. If I did that now I would crumble. Just keep mixing it up... You body does need good quality rest to grow so keep that in mind too.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks everyone, rest certainly has its place for the body to recover
especially when trying to increase weights. But if you got your diet
in cheak and your body feels up to it, sounds like it wouldnt be a problem
just not every week.

Shiiiiiiiiit, I just realised it was a newbie Morgan who did the OP. I thought it was the original Morgan. The other day when I read original Morgan's post here (post #6) I thought wtf???? He's asking a question in the OP and then answering it like he knows the answer anyway? Why ask the question in the first place?

All these Daves are confusing and rotting my brain....having a bad carryover to other members as well it seems.

I need to lift my game.

unhappygorilla.jpg

If you want to do some extra supplement work just do it after your main sessions...

Assuming he's already squatting/deading, a specific ab day is probably over doing it in my opinion.

Heavy gut-busting compounds 3 days a week is enough mate, your body needs its recovery, the way I look at it, fair enough you may feel up to it going and training on the inbetween days, but your next session will suffer, you will find it harder to continually add weight to the bar and your training will eventually stall.

Train hard, rest/recover/eat harder!

I agree totally.

If he's doing say Rippetoe's where he's pressing x3 a week going into the gym to do skullcrushers on tuesday is a waste of time/likely going to lead to overuse injuries.

Go read a book or do something else constructive.

I see no problems with training consecutive days as long as you a working a different muscle group and allowing enough rest and recovery.

I see no problems with training consecutive days as long as you a working a different muscle group and allowing enough rest and recovery.
The CNS needs recovery aswell, and the only way to achieve this is to rest completely.

Last edited: