• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

My workout routine..welcome feedback

H

Heavy Reps

Hi guys,

i post my workout routine for some feedback. Welcome any comments.
Every 7-8 weeks I change the combination, routine, so here is the latest

Day 1 - Shoulders & Triceps

Shoulders
Seated dumbell press
warm up set - 8 x 30kgs (weight per dumbell)
set 1 - 6 x 35
set 2 - 6 x 40
set 3 - 6 x 42.5 (limit of weights)

dumbell frontal raises
set 1 - 6 x 15 (weight per dumbell)
set 2 - 6 x 20
set 3 - 6 x 20

side lateral raises (cable or free weight) - weight per dumbell
set 1 - 6 x15
set 2 - 6 x 17.5
set 3 - 6 x 20

will mix dumbell front raises with rear dumbell raises

Triceps

Dips
warm up set - bodyweight (107kg) x 8
set 1 - (bw + 12kg) x 6
set 2 - (bw + 17.5kg) x 6
set 3 - (bw + 20kg) x 6

Tricep cable pushdowns
set 1 - 6 x 80kg
set 2 - 6 x 100kg
set 3 - 6 x 100kg (limit of the rack is 100kg, so cant increase)

Dumbell kickback
set 1 -6 x 15kg
set 2 - 6 x 20kg
set 3 - 6 x 25kg

Day 2 - chest

Benchpress

warm up set 8-10 x 60kg
set 1 - 6 x 120kg
set 2 - 6 x 140kg
set 3 6 x 160kg

flatbench dumbell press
set 1 - 6 x 42.5kg (heavist weight available)
set 2 - 6 x 42.4kg

Incline dumbell press
set 1 - 6 x 42.5kg
set 2 - 6 x 42.5kg

flatbench flyes
set 1 -6 x 17.5kg
set 2 -6 x 22.5kg

cable cross overs
set 1 - 6 x 70kg
set 2 - 6 x 80kg

Day 3 - cardio, traps and abs

traps
barbell shrug
warm up set 6 x 20kg
set 1 - 6 x 80kg
set 2 - 6 x 100kg
set 3 - 6 x 130kg

rowing or cycling for 15-20mins
abs are normally sit ups, and crunches

Day 4 - Back

shoulder width lat pullups
warm up set - 6 x bodyweight (107kg)
set 1 - 6 x bw
set 2 - 6 x (bw + 10kg)
set 3 - 6 x (bw + 15kg)

Lat pulldowns
set 1 - 6 x 70kg
set 2 - 6 x 80kg
set 3 - 6 x 90kg

Hyperextensions
set 1 - 6 x bodyweight (107kg) + 20kg
set 2 - 6 x (bw + 40kg)
set 3 - (6 x bw + 50kg)

Alternate between deadlifts and seated rows

Deadlifts
set 1 - 6 x 80kg
set 2 - 6 x 120kg
set 3 - 6 x 140kg

Seated rows
set 1 - 6 x 80kg
set 2 - 6 x 90kg
set 3 - 6 x 100kg

Day 5 - cardio, forearms and abs

forearms
reverse forearm curls
warm up set - 6 x 15kg
set 1 - 6 x 20kg
set 2 - 6 x 25kg
set 3 - 6 x 30kg

cardio - same as above
abs - same as above

Day 6- biceps and calves

Biceps
barbell curls
warm up set - 6 x 30kg
set 1 - 6 x 40kg
set 2 - 6 x 50kg
set 3 - 6 x 55kg

dumbell curls
set 1 - 6 x 22.5kg (per dumbell)
set 2 - 6 x 25kg
set 3 - 6 x 25kg

hammercurls or concentration curls
as above for dumbell curls

calves
standing calf raises using barbell (smith machine)
warm up set - 6 x 50kg
set 1 - 6 x 100kg
set 2 - 6 x 120kg
set 3 - 6 x 130kg

calve raise using a step and dumbell
set 1 - 6 x 25kg
set 2 - 6 x 30kg
set 3 - 6 x 42.5kg

Day 7 - rest

So there it is. Try and lift as heavy as I can while keeping good form.

I tend not to do too much leg work like squats etc because my legs grow quickly and I find it hard to buy pants if I do because I am also 6'5". My legs tend to get the workout from the cardio in rowing and cycling, with standing cycling used.

Give me your feedback guys.

cheers :)
Heavy reps.

Wow, some big lifts there.

Thinking your dips could be alot stronger though.
And why only 90kg on the lat pulldown if you are doing pull ups with BW+15 ?

Massive bench.
Strong delts too.

Deads look light, is it your body proportions?

You need to get heavier dumbbells !!!

Overall, some pretty good lifts in there, especially the bench.

cheers Hulk.

Dips are on the improve. Had a shoulder injury which was preventing heavier weights. But getting better, so should be increasing that shortly.

Lat pulldowns are limited to 90kg to give me a good squeeze. Generally work the back with the other exercises.

"is it your body proportions"???..what does that mean??

thanks for the feedback

I don't like it. I do not like these small bodypart days only like, forearms" and calves. You're better off using that time to rest or cardio only. What's the problem with doing forerarms with biceps and adding calves on the day when you are doing traps only.
Poor excuse about the legs too. Just buy bigger jeans or get then tailor made. Remember squats make your whole body grow. Other than that there are some strong lifts there.

the reason for the small bodypart days is that by the time you do the other workout days you are pushing close to 45min in the gym...dont want my workouts going over 45 mins..

i have to go the gym to do the cardio for 15-20mins, so might as well work in the parts there.

use to do leg presses and squats..presses of 300kg for reps...but legs grew too big...take your point but dont want to look like a total freak.

You're a strong mofo.
Sounds like you got very good genetics for growth.

Are you assisted?

Fair enough, but if that's what you like to do what feedback exactly are you after? You don't seem to want to change it. Maybe your thread title should read "This is my workout routine and I'm sticking to it".
BTW - A trap and calf routine should not take more than 25-20 mins anyway, also adding forearms with biceps should only add a few minutes to the workout.

Cheers.

hulk.

generally unassisted except bench press and helping to throw the dumbells up sometimes for the shoulders...

I find if I am assisted and know I have the "catcher" there, I generally wont push as hard....so like to train alone on most parts.

shrek,

appreciate the feedback...dont get me wrong, happy for comments...might look at incorporating the parts into a workout...

will have to time it and see how it goes.

any feedback on what people think about the exercises used would be good....do people do different body part groupings....that sort of feedback would be great

Heavy Reps,

Come on...... you know what I mean be "assisted"

If not, you have good natural strength.

Kindred, go start your own thread. A couple of suggestions are: "does anyone have any good recipes for post-childbirth placentas?" or "does anyone have a good chest/back routine?".

Back to the thread:
I agree, those are some serious kg's. Well done! And I thought that it was harder for tall blokes to get big thighs, you must be doing something right. And why don't you want to work out for more than 45 minutes?

oh, you mean that kind of assisted...drug assisted...absolutely not.

heard that it shrinks the nads and can cause all kinds of problems....too scared to touch the stuff with those side effects..

no. Want to be all natural....just like Skip LaCour and Geoff Willett....all natural pro's.

Kindred...have a look at a post I did yesterday...has taken me about 9mths -12mths of serious lifting to get there....as i posted yesterday, I struggled to bench 40kg when i started.....thats why I am in favour of the low reps but pushin maximum weight..

Snookmz....did a post this morning I think, under the heading of cardio or something...and suggested keeping the workout to less than 45mins as cortisol kicks in in larger doses after this time....and kills protein synthesis, which will kill muscle growth.

I think that is why the "pros" break their workouts into morning and afternoon, so they dont get high cortisol levels.

cheers

Last edited:
..and suggested keeping the workout to less than 45mins as cortisol kicks in in larger doses after this time....and kills protein synthesis, which will kill muscle growth.

I think that is why the "pros" break their workouts into morning and afternoon, so they dont get high cortisol levels.

That sounds a bit like dodgy science to me, whereabouts did you read that? I thought the professionals split their routine so that they could get their energy back and do two serious workouts per day. However, you must be doing something right if you're shifting those kg.

I generally work out for 50 minutes to an hour, but that is generally because I'm absolutely knackered by about that time. It is enough to let me hit two muscle groups from three different angles