• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

My worst nightmare

PTC

Over in the strength section, Sherro just mentioned that him buying a squat suit is my worst nightmare.

Its not. Here it is.

As some of you know, I have thousands of bodybuilding magazines, dating back to the 1960's. The lat mag I got on a regular basis was Muscle Media.

I have issues of Muscle & Fitness, Muscle & Power, Flex, MuscleMag, Ironman, Muscle Digest, Planet Muscle, Muscular Development and boxes of Aussie and Pommie magazines that you guys never heard of.

Every few years I get an issue to flick through. This month I bought Ironman. It had Arnold on the cover, a story on Nathan Wallace, a CAPO lifter and excellent bodybuilder and a great article on cortisol.

It also had splashed on the cover - MASS BUILDING MIRACLE - 20 REP SQUAT PROGRAM.

Well, I simply had to get. I first heard of the 20 rep squat program from Ironman in the 70's. The founder of the magazine, Peary Rader is credited as the guy who came up with it, along with C.J Hise.

It is the basis of my beginners program, slight mods. I like high rep SLDL.

Anyway, I start reading, and its great, this crap mag is finally talking sense, putting all the dumb young bodybuilders straight. High rep squats and milk make you big today just like yesterday. I feel a little vindicated, most of todays generation needs to read it on glossy paper for it to be real.

Then I hear earth moving and some groans. I look around, nothing. I keep reading, more noises. Its not till I finish the article and sit there stunned that I realise what that noise was. It was Peary and C.J turning in there grave.

This douche bag writer has obviously realized that kids today arent goint to follow a full body workout performed 2-3 times a week, with milk as the staple.

So he "modifies" (destroys) the program by making it, are you sitting down, a 4 day split, adding leg extensions, crunches, calf raises, flyes, laterals.....I cant go on.

the reason this program worked in the first place was because it eliminated fluff and focused on the 4-6 core movements, allowing the lifter to recover.

Now they tell us milk will make you fat, so instead, take all the supplements we advertise here in our magazine instead, we have moved on from milk.

It nearly made me cry.

The only reason this guy has a job is because Ironman told the truth back in the day when Weider was writing fiction.

This article is actually a crime.

Good read markos, I've never really taken the magazine articles too seriously, they're a paid magazine so they sell whatever they can! Sometimes they come up with interesting ideas but skew it...so you have to go back to the original source to find the truely useful information. Wouldn't mind reading some of your old mags markos.

In both gyms I've worked at so far I've talked to several young blokes doing some funky split routine when they can only bench 40kg, or can overhead 30kg but never squat. What's interesting is that they don't even have a split routine, they don't have a written-down routine or journal where they record progression. So even if splits really were ideal for them, they're not progressing, it's the same weight for 1-2 months, then they take a couple of weeks off, come back to it, etc.

Yes I tried to set them straight. One guy had no routine, I taught him squat, deadlift, overhead press, wrote it all down, made an appointment for him to work with me in a couple of days. He asked "but what about this muscle?"
"That is worked by the overhead press."
"And that muscle?"
"By the deadlift."
"But my abs?"
"Remember the bracing? What do you think is harder, doing crunches, or bracing your abs while squatting 60kg?"
He seemed a bit bewildered by the idea that a few exercises could work his whole body.

Will it work? Will they set aside the broscience and do something effective? Probably not, but I have to try :)

What else am I going to do with my gym shifts, eye off the cardio bunnies and polish the machines? Pffft.

Peary and Mabel had their hands full with the Hoffman / wieder circus.

Back then they were using half milk half whipping cream
Posted via Mobile Device

And that was full cream raw milk baby!

No obesity problems back then, you do the math.
Posted via Mobile Device

They gotta sell the supps somehow. 10 pages of articles 90 pages of adverts.

I stopped reading em when i found out back in 2000 that the pros like dorian/kevin levrone etc dont write their own articles its some pencil pusher doing it for em with product placements thrown in every few paragraphs.

bro'ing up "squats and milk".....they should be burnt at the stake!

I hope that mag is now clearing the dags off your ass Markos

I really was amazed how much the information has deteriorated.

Berry Demey told me he never did an article for Weider on how he trained. During comp season, all the pros are required to do shoots. They have thousands of pics taken.

For the rest of the year, the mags run these pics with articles about how such and such trains a certain muscle group.

I know all this, have done for over 20 years, but every couple of years I get an issue to see where its at.

It cant possibly go any lower now.

Heres some pics of Berry

berry-demey.jpg

3547575000_54fefefab2.jpg
449972913_52cc49cb98_m.jpg

spaceball.gif