• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

new to power lifting

pskies

Hi, my current weight is at 69/70kg and I'm 5'11. B.F of around 10%/11%.

I am looking to get into Power Lifting as I am more interested in power to weight ratio.
My current 1 rep max averages around 88 to 90kg (clean rep with no spot) and I can comfortably set (3x10) at 65/70kg depending on my energy levels.

My goal is to reach a 100kg as a max bench. Anything over that and I would be stoked.

My questions would be what techniques and programs would people recommend to me and how much protein and meals should I be eating daily so that I can maintain steady progress and gains?

As you can tell from my height and weight I fall in the ectomorph category so weight gain can be a struggle. Benching high above my body weight would give me a lot of confidence :)

Thanks

If you live near Frankston, Go and have a look at PTC at frankston. Markos the guy who runs it is on here as PTC, Even though it is not a powerlifting gym he would be able to help you out.

What are you doing now, both in terms of programming and eating, and what it is about it that you think isn't working?
How long have you been doing this?
How much has your weight or body composition changed in that time?
How much has your strength improved in that time?

If you live near Frankston, Go and have a look at PTC at frankston. Markos the guy who runs it is on here as PTC, Even though it is not a powerlifting gym he would be able to help you out.

Cheers for the advice. I'm already a member at a local gym but I'll look into it.

What are you doing now, both in terms of programming and eating, and what it is about it that you think isn't working?
How long have you been doing this?
How much has your weight or body composition changed in that time?
How much has your strength improved in that time?

I'm training 4 days a week. Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri (I cant train legs at the mo coz of a knee injury) But I do bench Mon and thurs.

Daily I eat - Breakfast: 2 Slices of toast with baked beans & an egg + a Protein Shake
Snack: Can of Tuna and or protein bar
Lunch: A roll with ham/cheese etc
Snack: Can of tuna and or protein bar
Dinner: Pasta dishes or chicken or steak with veggies followed by a protein shake.

I've been training for 1RM for about 5 - 6 weeks. Since I've started taking it seriously my bench strength has gone from 60kg to 70 for reps and 80 to 88/90 for 1RM but I've been at this for a couple weeks now and am finding it hard to shake.
As for body weight, I've gained around 2/2.5kgs. I float between 69/70kg

I'm training 4 days a week. Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri (I cant train legs at the mo coz of a knee injury) But I do bench Mon and thurs.

Daily I eat - Breakfast: 2 Slices of toast with baked beans & an egg + a Protein Shake
Snack: Can of Tuna and or protein bar
Lunch: A roll with ham/cheese etc
Snack: Can of tuna and or protein bar
Dinner: Pasta dishes or chicken or steak with veggies followed by a protein shake.

I've been training for 1RM for about 5 - 6 weeks. Since I've started taking it seriously my bench strength has gone from 60kg to 70 for reps and 80 to 88/90 for 1RM but I've been at this for a couple weeks now and am finding it hard to shake.
As for body weight, I've gained around 2/2.5kgs. I float between 69/70kg

First, you're not a hard gaining ectomorph, you just don't eat enough for someone who is 70kg and 10% bodyfat at almost 6 foot. Cans of tuna and protein shakes have **** all calories in them.

Second, 5-6 weeks of training isn't much time to start worrying about anything.

Third, 4 days a week of just upper body sounds like it might be a poorly thought program. Post up your program and there'll be plenty of suggestions on how to improve it.

Fourth, powerlifting =/= bench press. Powerlifting = squat, bench and deadlift. You may or may not be able to squat or deadlift depending on exactly what is wrong with your knees, I don't know, but squatting and deadlifting is what will drive you to gain mass, and will assist your development in bench press.

Last edited:
First, you're not a hard gaining ectomorph, you just don't eat enough for someone who is 70kg and 10% bodyfat at almost 6 foot. Cans of tuna and protein shakes have **** all calories in them.

Second, 5-6 weeks of training isn't much time to start worrying about anything.

Third, 4 days a week of just upper body sounds like it might be a poorly thought program. Post up your program and there'll be plenty of suggestions on how to improve it.

Fourth, powerlifting =/= bench press. Powerlifting = squat, bench and deadlift. You may or may not be able to squat or deadlift depending on exactly what is wrong with your knees, I don't know, but squatting and deadlifting is what will drive you to gain mass, and will assist your development in bench press.

It's taken me a while to get to 69/70kg. When I first joined a gym I was 56kg. It's been within this year that I'm trying to take it to the next level.

I'll def take you on your higher calories advice, I guess my focus has been getting at least 200g of protein a day.

Yeah i know 5-6 weeks isn't all that long but I'm pretty determined to get where I want to get to so i guess I get hard on myself

I'll be able to get back into squatting and leg work in a couple weeks so I guess I'm using the time I would spend on legs on abs and upper body.

My program is
Mon - Chest/some tri's
Tues - Shoulders/back
Thurs - Triceps
Fri - Abs/Bi's

Cheers for the advice

Know it well.

Fellas, this is the place where little Daryl and Jack were training back in August 2009.

Both were benching 60kg. Jack still is, Daryl is now benching 115kg paused at PTC, thats 20kg above the WR he's going to break in 3 weeks at the National Powerlifting Titles.

Go to PTC, mate. I'm a trainer, and I would recommend PTC to you even if you lived next door and had thousands of bucks to chuck at me. For a skinny guy who wants to be big and lift big, PTC is the way to go.

Know it well.

Fellas, this is the place where little Daryl and Jack were training back in August 2009.

Both were benching 60kg. Jack still is, Daryl is now benching 115kg paused at PTC, thats 20kg above the WR he's going to break in 3 weeks at the National Powerlifting Titles.

I noticed on you're website that do workout design and nutrition plans? I would be interested in getting this done as I am hearing positive things about you.
Cheers

Do it mate.

Markos is the real deal and you will not look back if you go and train at PTC. I'm contemplating moving to Melbourne just so I can go train at PTC. ;)

Cheers,
Mike