• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

New to this looking for helpful advice

Dez1888

Hi I am going to start trying to build muscle, the reason I have started is that I am 30 and really want to look after my body before its too late. my goal is to put on muscle but lose body fat which I understand is not easy. I am very dedicated once I start something.... I see it through and this will be no different.

Now I know some of you guys on here will have heard this many times but I hope you guys could help out again, I would do the same for a beginner if I could help out. I am looking for some sort of meal plan and workout routine as I am a beginner who has lifted weights on and off for years with no real goal other than trying not to be so skinny. So what I am looking for is a workout routine for a beginner wanting to achieve quick results and any plan of what to eat and when. I know this is a lot to ask for but please help me. Some more info below.

I weigh 76kg (167.5 pounds) with about 16% body fat, height is 5'9 or 175cms. I can train every night if needed but it will more often than not be after 6pm.

Any help you guys can give me I would greatly appreciate. I am happy to answer any questions if you have any for me.

Thank you in advance

Dez :)

diet is the key, and probably the hardest to change & maintain...
1st off id cut out all fast food, soft drink, butter, chocolate, alcohol. If youre serious, you will have to at least try this for a month.
make all your own meals/lunches, not only does this save you a fortune, its alot healthier...
as for training.
how fit are you?
what do you have access to ie gym, pool, parks, equipment??
its not easy, as you say. dont expect miracles in week 1, but if you eat right and train smart, the changes will start happening...

as taurus said if you wanna see results you gotta get your diet in check..
google around or check the forum,
work out your BMR/TEE then from there aim to eat at surplus if your looking to bulk

good luck

BMR - 1781.825

Hi Taurus

Thank you very much for your reply!

I have access to a gym close to where I stay and have become a member again just recently so I can go there how ever often I should train which by the majority of peoples opinions should be every 2nd day? Is this correct?

I eat chocolate too often but I am trying to stop that as I know I cant train and do this.....not without the fat stomach anyway and that is one of the main reasons for me to do this. Another problem is not knowing what to eat, how much and when? I have no problem with making my own meals it is better anyway. Does this sound like enough while I am still on light weights as I have started the workout below.

Monday

incline barbell press - 5 sets of 10 reps with 10kg on either side of bar.

Overhead tricep extensions - 5 sets of 10 - 15kg

Tricep dips - 5 sets of 10

Treadmill Tabata - sprint at 20 second intervals with 10 second rest on 5% incline x 8
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today for example my eating so far has been and will be :

8am - 2 scrambled eggs and a banana

10am - 2 tablespoons of natural Greek yogurt with 4 strawberries and 2 handfulls of toby's traditional oats

12:30pm - chicken salad with veg and balsamic vinager

15:30pm - Navel orange, protien shake and a 10 goji berries

17:30pm - omlette with mushrooms, garlic with 3 egg whites

19:00pm - Chicken breast with spices, half a large sweet potato.

21:30pm protein shake.

Any problems with that for a newbie?

Last edited:
All the don't eat this don't eat that stuff is bollocks. What matters if you want to gain muscle is eating more calories than you burn and hitting your minimum daily protein intake (something like 120-150g for yourself). How you make up the rest of your daily calories is up to you, there is nothing inherently wrong with chocolate. Obviously eating a shit load of fruit and veg has health benefits beyond muscle gain.

If I was you, I would choose a beginner program such as this or starting strength, lay a foundation for 6-12 months and then if you really want to, look at cutting your bodyfat down after that.

Frequency of training depends on the program you are doing, most programs have you in the gym 3-4 days per week.

All the don't eat this don't eat that stuff is bollocks. What matters if you want to gain muscle is eating more calories than you burn and hitting your minimum daily protein intake (something like 120-150g for yourself). How you make up the rest of your daily calories is up to you, there is nothing inherently wrong with chocolate. Obviously eating a shit load of fruit and veg has health benefits beyond muscle gain.

If I was you, I would choose a beginner program such as this or starting strength, lay a foundation for 6-12 months and then if you really want to, look at cutting your bodyfat down after that.

Frequency of training depends on the program you are doing, most programs have you in the gym 3-4 days per week.

This too^^
I stand firm on chocolate though! Lol

This^^^^

My advice- Find what work for you and TRAIN, TRAIN...sleep and TRAIN

soak up the advice on here, Theres hours of reading and all the questions have answerd by the gurus are on here.

All the best mate.

If you have a tendency to hold onto body fat it's more important to watch what type of food you eat.

At your age stay away from processed foods and eat a lot and often of the natural high nutrient dense type foods.

The list is long.

A good plan is to stop eating food with sugar in it.
Then, if you like dairy, stop eating the full fat types of milk, cheese and yogurt.

Then, if you like dairy, stop eating the full fat types of milk, cheese and yogurt.
that's what tipped the scales for me (no pun intended :p)
half a tsp of sugar in tea/coffee can be sweet enough..
that extra slice or two of cheese can really make a difference (as do tubs of sour cream :D )

Check this out, and also this website. The Waterbury nutrition+training routine (downloadable from the first link) is pretty full on, and includes some pimping of supplements, but the general template in there is solid, I'd say.

And Lyle McDonald is wise in the ways of body recomposition in particular, hence the site's URL. ;)

Anyway, maybe just some more ideas for you to sift through. The essential principle remains the same, always, of course: calories in vs. calories out.

If you have a tendency to hold onto body fat it's more important to watch what type of food you eat.

At your age stay away from processed foods and eat a lot and often of the natural high nutrient dense type foods.

The list is long.

These types of recommendations are pretty meaningless. Especially without any consideration for the rest of the diet.

Stop eating food with sugar in it?? What no more fruit? Veggies have sugar as well.

Why no full fat dairy? The body needs some fat. What about other foods with high fat, nuts, avocado, fatty fish.

Natural foods? What defines a natural food? What makes it automatically
better? How does your body know you are eating a natural food. There are nutrients in processed foods.

Yes there are nutrients in highly processed food Bazza, they're called 'fuck all'

First thing processed foods can still have plenty of nutrients and some will be lower in nutrients. Processed foods can still be beneficial in a diet.

Just saying natural = good and processed = bad is very simplified and often wrong.

First thing processed foods can still have plenty of nutrients and some will be lower in nutrients. Processed foods can still be beneficial in a diet.

Just saying natural = good and processed = bad is very simplified and often wrong.

I see it Bazza as natural will always be better than processed, always.
So whenever possible, eat natural or as close as possible in this day and and age to natural as you can.

As far as milk goes, I'd go full cream, I miss the days of that nice layer of fatty cream in my bottled milk.

Last edited:
I see it Bazza as natural will always be better than processed, always.
So whenever possible, eat natural or as close as possible in this day and and age to natural as you can.

As far as milk goes, I'd go full cream, I miss the days of that nice layer of fatty cream in my bottled milk.

You are falling for the naturalistic fallacy. That anything natural must be good or better for you. Just beause something is natural doesn't necessarily make it better.

Arsenic is natural. Must be awesome for you.

Protein powder is highly processed and in plenty of situations can be a better choice than drinking 2 liters of milk.

Olive oil, fish oil, canned fruit and tuna, yoghurt, cottage cheese, dark chocolate, pastas and breads ect all processed foods not in their natural state anymore but can all be beneficial in a diet.

You are falling for the naturalistic fallacy. That anything natural must be good or better for you. Just beause something is natural doesn't necessarily make it better.

Arsenic is natural. Must be awesome for you.

Protein powder is highly processed and in plenty of situations can be a better choice than drinking 2 liters of milk.

Olive oil, fish oil, canned fruit and tuna, yoghurt, cottage cheese, dark chocolate, pastas and breads ect all processed foods not in their natural state anymore but can all be beneficial in a diet.
Come on Bazza, I'm pretty sure you know what I mean, let's not get carried away here.

If you're dieting and count calories chocolate and basically anything with a lot of sugar and fat will make it harder cause they are so incredibly 'rich in calories'.

E.g. , compare:
One subway cookie - about 800kJ, about two mouthfuls, keeps you going for about 1 minute before you want another one..
One roast beef 6 inch sub without sauce and cheese = About 1100kJ, slightly more than the cookie but will keep you going for ages.

Lollies, treats, sauces, cheese, fats in general are very calorie dense. And they're fucking addictive and especially hard to resist if they're a habit AND you're hungry. I strongly recommend kicking them completely. Don't touch them.

Come on Bazza, I'm pretty sure you know what I mean, let's not get carried away here.

I know exactly what you mean and the point still stands, just because something is natural doesn't automatically make it good, better for you or even safe.

It's just sounds nice when you tell people they should eat natural foods but it doesn't really mean anything and its not necessarily true.

I know exactly what you mean and the point still stands, just because something is natural doesn't automatically make it good, better for you or even safe.

It's just sounds nice when you tell people they should eat natural foods but it doesn't really mean anything and its not necessarily true.

I just don't know where to start with you Bazza20.

Only to say this.
There is sugar in everything.
Have a look at your previous posting, you're all over the shop

If a bloke is having difficulty losing fat, then reducing what he can will make an instant difference.

I'm not this bloke, neither are you, we are all individuals and although weight training and the methods used can be exactly the same for everyone, diet and how our body processes it, is IMO different, I'm no expert on diet, like I'm no expert about alcoholism but we can share personal experience which is as I said is different for everyone.

I could take you line of thought and say drink two liters of full fat milk (a day) along with everything else, but use protien powder to supplement the nutrient shortfall, that's thinking is just stupidity to me.

I say, cut out the sugar where you can, instead of two spoons of sugar in your 4 cups of coffee, eat grapes, carrot, spinach, meat, instead of two blocks of chocolate, eat one piece and such, because you supplement fish oil and eat avo's consider, low fat dairy, mix it up vary your diet.
I'm saying no more, this is just basic nutrition, FFS