• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Nutrition Certificates?

ready_to_learn

Hey Guys,

I have been a user over at the american body building website for quite some time, and thought I would look if there is an Australian Equivilent!

So here goes my question.

I am very interested in Nutrition, and was wondering if any nutritionists here know which certificates/courses would be good to study - and that may have some accreditation when looking for jobs.

I am young, still at university doing Law and IT, but want to do something in nutrition as on the side.

I have also wondered about this.
Without doing dietetics it seems that there isn't a whole lot of certificates covering nutrition but i would love to be proven wrong.

I know there is a human nutrition certificate but not sure how good it is or whether I am better off getting cert 4 in nutrition

Me and christain finished/graduated last week from advanced diploma..

Depends what you really want? Such as sports nutrition, wellbeing, general health, working in the field, want to gain own knowledge etc.

I have learnt more out of college than at college I think...

Just remember it's like studying religion not IT lol

Anyone wanting to study formal qualifications i would reccomend at least a bachelor degree in dietetics/ nutritional medicine/health science.

Thanks for that, I was looking at the advanced diploma in Nutrition.

I personally wouldnt do it, you will learna bout how to eat meat once a day and consume 24 slices of bread.. and how soy is good.

All my knowledge has come from external research because of my own interest in the subject.

Nutritional medicine at a bachelor level may be different... However on a certificate level unless you have the power do go and study more then what is handed to you, you will get nothing out of it.

GF is an APD mainly clinical rather than exercise/sports related (although, she's doing medicine now). A few of her friends at uni are now working for sports teams and/or AIS. So yeah, I'd go for the Masters course offered at USYD (if in Sydney). Seems quite well organised and a lot of research is required.

If you don't like doing research I'd avoid doing this or any health field. You need to research a lot to ensure you're up to current best practice.

Problem is best practice is defined by what area you want to look into.. So much is conflicting.

At the end of the day its like religion... And especially if you are in it for the sports side it comes down to more anecdotal evidence then double blind placebo studies...

At the end of the day look at why you are doing something, also if louis simmons was to give you advice on lifting and eating would you take it... Or go to the guy with the Phd in sports science and nutrition?

Problem is best practice is defined by what area you want to look into.. So much is conflicting.

At the end of the day its like religion... And especially if you are in it for the sports side it comes down to more anecdotal evidence then double blind placebo studies...

At the end of the day look at why you are doing something, also if louis simmons was to give you advice on lifting and eating would you take it... Or go to the guy with the Phd in sports science and nutrition?

That is true. There is conflicting evidence with almost every study released. Got to make your own decisions based of it.

I'd say that actual evidence is always more reliable than anecdotal evidence. If a study was done on a new tree root that increased muscle mass, when done under double blind situations, there was no effect on the body over the placebo and/or proven drug that increases muscle mass. But anecdotal evidence said it was effective. I wouldn't buy, nor recommend that product. A lot of stuff that bodybuilders/powerlifters apparently do (I say apparently because there is a lot of bullshit around supplements as admitting steroid use is a no no) is not something that is done within other fitness circles (professional athletes, football players etc.) due to lack of evidence.

There is little evidence around many supplements because there is a lack of funding for research. The research that is done, is generally funded by the company that makes the supplement, or by people with dubious accreditation (a lot of 'research' on bodybuilding.com for example).

In regards to Louis or a PhD. I'd take the advice of someone who can either back it up with evidence, or if there is none available, anecdotal unbiased evidence (sponsorships for example, I'll not take that as a reliable source lol).

But hey, I'm scrawny as a stick. I can't back any nutritional advice up with experience. That's why I rely on academic research when possible. It's also why I avoid most supplements. It's also hard to disprove someone when they say "I take x and I got huge" because we can never test if they would have stayed small without it. So unless the product is a total scam, if someone is happy to pay and feels like they get benefits. Then go for it.

Last edited:
Bodybuilding supplements are a known scam though...

Products are always designed to be bought by idiots. That is how the world goes around.. However what you are forgetting to realize is that the drug u mentioned is also a product designed to make money, if it failed 1,000 double blind lacebo tests but 3 showed lsight improvmeent over placebo (perhaps a dud control group) then we have a winner sir!

Somewhere in the middle is the real truth. If you listen to the powers that be milk and butter will kill you, cholesterol will kill you and we all need to buy copious amounts of grain and packaged food...

Bodybuilding supplements are a known scam though...

Products are always designed to be bought by idiots. That is how the world goes around.. However what you are forgetting to realize is that the drug u mentioned is also a product designed to make money, if it failed 1,000 double blind lacebo tests but 3 showed lsight improvmeent over placebo (perhaps a dud control group) then we have a winner sir!

Somewhere in the middle is the real truth. If you listen to the powers that be milk and butter will kill you, cholesterol will kill you and we all need to buy copious amounts of grain and packaged food...

Totally agree!! Somewhere in the middle..

Just think of myostatin inhibitors and other nitrous oxide related supps for instance.. There are some good products out there but many are dodgy as.. Even some of the good ones don't really align with the clincial research in regards to dosage, etc.. the informed people are always better off..

Thanks for the insight!

Definately looking at doing either a certificate/dip or a masters.

Really love the nutrition side, and the sports nutrition too!

You guys would have learn't alot too in regards to nutrition on your course too! Most courses have subjects where you feel like you waste time!