• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Olympic bar/weight hole diameters

jj80

With your normal 'small hole' weights from elite fitness/rebel sport etc, I found it's possible to get different hole diameters and especially different bar diameters. I have one 7 foot bar at the moment gathering rust cause it's 26mm or so and all my weights are 25mm.

I'm after some olympic weights at the moment and looking to buy second hand. Do I have to be careful for the same thing?

I've read olympic bars are all 1 inch, does that mean the weights are all 50.8mm? Should I therefore avoid 50mm weights? Don't want to buy a set of second hand weights then an ABC 50.8mm bar and find I've just blown $600 on a bar that won't be useful.

Get the weights to suit the bar. All standard bars are same diameter, 50 point something. Any that are less are rubbish you shouldnt have anyways.

With a cheap oly bar you should be fine with all oly plates except sometimes competition plates which are made to finer tolerances than the cheap bars but you shouldn't have to worry about that.

If your plates are cheap they'll likely have a 51 or 52mm opening
Abc bar has a 50mm sleeve, expensive plates will be in the 50.2 to 50.8mm range and may not fit on a china bar (you can always file down bar/plates if need be though

If your plates are cheap they'll likely have a 51 or 52mm opening
Abc bar has a 50mm sleeve, expensive plates will be in the 50.2 to 50.8mm range and may not fit on a china bar (you can always file down bar/plates if need be though

I want to see someone file an eleiko plate down to fit on a cheap china bar. Lol.

Lol Minh would have a heart attack

The guys at Ron Birch's gym in Ballina apparently had to do this for an OPO comp as the plates wouldn't fit on their Mastodon bar

Thanks! Now I just have to resist the temptation of buying 4 x red 25kg bumper plates so I can pretend the olympics is occurring in my basement when I lift :p

BTW any suggestions for micro home made calibration weights, and where to get some accurate scales? All my weights are like +/- 0.1kg to 1kg (yeah, I got a 21kg plate :/)

As in how to make up like a 500g plate?
Got to Bunnings an buy a bagful of washers with a 50mm+ opening, some metal glue then put together what weights you want