• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Olympic Weight Plates

morgan000

Does anyone know where I can get olympic weight plates for a decent size? I'm in Sydney for pick up or can order online. I've found a store which sells it for $2.80 a kg. Thats the rubber one which is what I need. Is that a good price? Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

I've been looking at the Muscle Motion set at Gym Direct - they seem to have good packages with fractional plates and olympic barbells

Muscle Motion 150kg Bumper Weights set

Urban fitness is probably the cheapest at $540 for a set of 150kg set, however they are significantly wider than the Muscle Motion/Iron Edge bumpers which are closer to the IWF standards

UFS BUMPER PLATE SET (150kg)

Urban also do a elite set which seems well priced @ $990 for the steel disc style of bumper over the ring insert

BUMPERS 140kg SET BRAND NEW CROSSFIT USE WHOLESALE PRICE | Gym & Fitness | Gumtree Australia Botany Bay Area - Botany | 1028973655

I'm also interested in peoples opinions as a lot of the feedback seems to be from VIC members rather than NSW

Would love to buy from Iron Edge but just have a tough time justifying the postage as well as any sort of warranty issues with an interstate vendor

if you can get bumper plates at $2.80 then no need to shop around, that is crazy cheap, I got some force USA ones at $4 a kg and was happy with that price, most shops sell bumpers at $6kg

the $2.80 a kg isn't for bumper plates, its for the rubber olympic plates. While we're on the topic, what is the difference between bumper plates and rubber plates and why such a big price difference?

the $2.80 a kg isn't for bumper plates, its for the rubber olympic plates. While we're on the topic, what is the difference between bumper plates and rubber plates and why such a big price difference?

Bumpers are typically solid rubber and designed to withstand being dropped from a height.

Rubber coated are just standard metal plate just coated with rubber to be a little less noisy when they hit something or each other

can you get these all the time? let me know if you can and i'll organise a pick up when i'm in the area in the next week or two.

I have about 280 kilo plates to get rid of. Ring me on the number displayed in the Gumtree aasto organise pick up next week or when you are going to be in area. Cheers.

Just thought to update this thread as Muscle Driver AU has updated their website to include their Pendlay Elite range of bumpers (black and coloured)

Weight Sets (Bar and Bumpers)

Their 185kg Black Elite set (Pairs of 25, 20, 15, 10 bumpers / 5, 2.5, 2, 1.5, 1, 0.5 rubber plates + Pendlay HD Bushing 15/20kg barbell) is going for $1,699.00 which is a great price for elite bumpers vs economy bumpers (elites have different center rings)

IMO, this would be the best bang-for-buck set for anyone looking to buy with the 'buy once, buy right' mindset

Last edited:
I went and purchased the $2.80 per kg rubber olympic weight plates from fitnessandsport.com.au. Couldn't find anywhere that was cheaper, even ppl selling second hand plates wanted more than that price. I agree with the buy once buy right thing however my gym is outside under a pergola so the dew in the morning gets a bit of surface rust on my equipment. If it was all indoors I would definitely pay a good price for good equipment. In all honesty I'll probably go back and by a few more bits n pieces. I thought it was interesting that when I went there, there was an anytime fitness rep in there buying merchandise.

Just thought to add this to this thread for future reference

I'm from Sydney so the goal was to get all local gear to save on shipping as well as being able to deal with any warranty issues

Im planning to pick up a set of;

Pendlay Elite Colour bumpers + a NextGen HD bushing barbell (the cheaper one) from Muscle Driver AU - Gosford - approx $2,000

Pendlay Colored Elite Bumpers / NB Bar 185kg Set

Thinking to disregard the Pendlay bar alltogether and just go with a cheaper Muscle Motion Needle Bearing Bar due to it being kept outdoors (read below)

Muscle Motion Needle Bearing Bar - $200

http://www.gymdirect.com.au/item/220cm-Olympic-Barbell_Needle-Bearing_Rated-600kg/969.htm

Squat stand - Muscle Driver AU - Gosford $279

MDUSA Econ Squat Stand

OR

Squat Stand w/ spotter bars and chinup bar - Cyber-Market Seven Hills - $495

HD1 Crossfit Rack with Chinup Bar and Spotter Bars | HD1 | Cyberfit Gym Equipment

Storage rack - Muscle motion from Gym Direct - $120

Weight Plate Rack (Olympic size) MOPR

20pk of 15mm gym mats from Cyber-market in Seven Hills - $560

Rubber Floor Tile 1m x 1m Black - pack of 20 | FLT1M20 | Cyberfit Gym Equipment

One concern i have is that i will be keeping this set up outdoors, under a pergola - so although it will be out of direct sunlight and rain, it will be subject to the milder elements of moisture, frost and night-sweat - i am concerned with such pricy gear (to me) i would have a huge cry if the bumper center-rings and barbell sleeves were to rust due to being kept outside

I have spoken to the guys at Muscle driver AU, they've advised that the center rings may experience some dis-coloration but will not rust to the point that it will inhibit the function of the bumpers and bar eg. rough surfaces causing scratching on the storage rack and barbell sleeves

Would it be as simple as to keep these loosely covered when not in use, or should i go for a less-expensive set so not to be devastated when my small investment goes on that rust time

Anyone with experience with these products as well as anyone who keeps their gear outdoors, would love to hear from you

Cheers,
Dan

Last edited:
Couldn't you bring the bar inside when you're done with it? They don't really take up a lot of space.

I like the options you have there. That HD1 rack looks good now that I've seen a photo.

yeh cheers for that, will def keep the bar indoors if i end up going with the Pendlay bar

my phobia is that the center-rings of the bumpers will rust which will cause them to dig into my bar during movement/drops which will end up causing the bar to rust also

I emailed Muscle Driver AU and they said under a pergola they should rust, just slightly discolour, i've gone back to them to ask if they will warrant them if they do end up rusting/affecting performance as they have a lifetime warranty on their bars

really excited as i almost have enough cash to go out an grab the gear, just don't want to risk wrecking pricy gear by having it outdoors