• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

P90x vs Power Rack

martz

So my cousin has fallen victim to the P90x program and I'm trying to convert him to lifting weights like you know, a man! Sorry ladies of ausBB, I mean, like a real "person" :p

He's not fat and he's quite strong for the limited amount of lifting experience he has so I thought the P90x is not benefiting him much. I could be wrong though as I'm quite noob to all this weight lifting stuff.

Ever since I bought a power rack (just recently), I've been trying to convert him and get him to my place once a week for a full body intensive workout! He says once a week is not enough, but I say it is enough depending on the intensity of the workout (I've seen lots of opinions on this topic, some people say a week, some say 48hrs, some say wait till soreness goes away then wait 48hrs etc.). He then says that you should do weights every second day, and do it every day if you want to lose weight. I asked him if that's what Mr.P90x told him, and he said yeah. Dunno, I think it has brainwashed him.

So what are your opinions/suggestions guys? what should I do? How do I save my cousin :)

Last edited:
Not sure if troll or not....

What sort of program are you doing at the moment? You may need to save yourself before saving your cousin...

Hang on, hang on, I have read responses on these forums regarding P90x. See exhibit 'A' The consensus wasn't good and now it is?

I thought this was just another one of those infomercial rip off programs. Like I said in OP, I'm noob so correct me if I'm wrong. I always thought that lifting heavy using barbells etc doing squats, bench press, dead lift etc. is the way to go.

What sort of program are you doing at the moment? You may need to save yourself before saving your cousin...

I'm still working it out but at the moment I'm doing dead lifts, squats, bench press, lat pull down/chinups, bent over barbell row, seated rows, dumbbell shoulder press. That's about all I do at the moment, I mix it up. Because I'm new, I'm just trying everything out, see what works for me.

Do I need saving?

Last edited:
I'm still working it out but at the moment I'm doing dead lifts, squats, bench press, lat pull down/chinups, bent over barbell row, seated rows, dumbbell shoulder press. That's about all I do at the moment, I mix it up. Because I'm new, I'm just trying everything out, see what works for me.

Do I need saving?

Yes starting strength will save you. Google it.

Yes starting strength will save you. Google it.

hmmm, I remember reading a post by one of the PTC guys slamming that program, or was it the SL5x5, or was it both, ahh I forget now :) Can't remember where I read that post. So anyway, lets forget about me, and talk P90x. I think P90x needs more saving than I do :eek:

hmmm, I remember reading a post by one of the PTC guys slamming that program, or was it the SL5x5, or was it both, ahh I forget now :) Can't remember where I read that post. So anyway, lets forget about me, and talk P90x. I think P90x needs more saving than I do :eek:

Negative you got big problems if your just doing lots of exercises to work out whats right for you. I am going to make it my mission to get you doing some kind of programme. Pm me your email and prepare to ne bombarded by an inbox full of strength info.

I refuse to stand idly by while that $3000 worth of gear you bought isn't getting used to full potential. Your already up against it brother, wife, kids, life sundry bullshit you need to start training smart asap show these young guns how it done.

a lot of the guys on here will slam SS. it's a good program to build a foundation of strength with, but it's not the only way to skin the cat.

i started with it and got good results with it.

P90x..... well,

I have done it. before I started weights, it is good for getting fit as hell. It does kick your ass.

If you are looking to pit on size, It's a waste of time. Too much cardio type stuff in it.

P90x..... well,

I have done it. before I started weights, it is good for getting fit as hell. It does kick your ass.

If you are looking to pit on size, It's a waste of time. Too much cardio type stuff in it.

Cmon bradsky you can't not come to this thread and suggest a body part split. Cmon bro bring some bb to the table. Lets derail this thing into bb vs strength its where every thread on this forum ends up eventually lol.

Negative you got big problems if your just doing lots of exercises to work out whats right for you. I am going to make it my mission to get you doing some kind of programme. Pm me your email and prepare to ne bombarded by an inbox full of strength info.

I refuse to stand idly by while that $3000 worth of gear you bought isn't getting used to full potential. Your already up against it brother, wife, kids, life sundry bullshit you need to start training smart asap show these young guns how it done.

lol no worries, but it says you just started weight training, why should I trust you! :p

Oh and I just sent you pm with e-mail, show me what you got bro :cool:

AT the risk of getting flamed... whats wrong with P90x?

Nothing if your goal is fat loss
People shit on it online because it doesn't fit with their goal of squatting 1000lb and drinking loads of milk
p90x, zumba, crossfit etc are great for fat loss

Starting strength is great, but for me once a week didn't feel like I was taking advantage of my body's ability to recover enough.

I did a program similar to the PTC beginner program recommended by Markos (I think?) and I would highly recommend that. I got to 100kg bench within a few months. His point of SS being written for footballers who are already strong made sense to me.

Listen to your own body too. If you do the PTC type (or SS) and ur getting nailed and not getting stronger, stop & try another.

P90x is crossfit.

It works I'f u want to lose weight and cut.

But if u see the people on those infomercials their muscles are thin and wirey.

None have the full muscle bellies as there is no real progressive resistance on p90x and most is bodyweight circuit training.

Once again its up to yourself which direction u are headed in physique.

Every overweight person sees p90x and dreams of that body. They don't realize 90% of that is probably the paleo diet. :banghead:

They try it for 3 weeks and give up.

cheers Trent

not just fat loss, general fitness, and yes, you will end up wirey (if you do it forever).

it is 7 days a week and most days are hard as fk.

but it is pretty gay, and full of bs advice, and no technique.

wouldn't recommend.

I still do the ab routine sometimes for a change

You will increase fitness & muscular endurance with P90x but you'll never get STRONG.

It really does depend on the person's goals but I'd still say that if one of the goals is to look good naked than getting strong & not having a totally retarded diet should be the primary focus.