• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

PA raw Nationals - Melbourne

This is a Nationals, but you can only set official WRs in the IPF at international events (eg Oceania, Commonweatlh, Worlds etc). Bunch of other requirements too. That said, IPF world records are pretty hard to break and an Australian hasn't had one for a long time AFAIK...except unofficial Masters records (Wim).

and for Raw deadlifts the lack talc shouldn't make that much difference, as most of the people within range of deadlifts are used to lifting in suits, so should have a stonger lockout than they can get off the ground to make up for the increased friction.
That's my theory anyway.

and an Australian hasn't had one for a long time AFAIK...except unofficial Masters records (Wim).

I need to correct myself.

Wim's records are official
Max Bristow (Masters3) and Katrina Robertson (Open Women's deadlift in 90+kg class) also hold IPF world records.

But to give people an idea of what it will take for an Australian to set an IPF world record, with new World Record qualification level for the new classes: as a sub-junior (under 18) 93kg lifter you will need SQ 315, BP 220, DL 320, TL 815 just to qualify.:eek:

this years nationals will be an international meet
few lifters from the USA competition and NZ mb oceania nations?

so WR can be set there

results from PA raw nationals

David Jame best lifter 105kg div 712.5 kg total.

other divisions, 74kg 520kg won, 83kg div 577.5kg, 93kg 690kg, 120kg 660kg, 120+ 675kg

Was an awesome day, a number of records were set and there were heaps of quality lifters. Good work to the forum members who competed, off the top of my head it was Dancelot, Austy, and Strong Enough, and Spritcha was a ref. (sorry of I missed anyone.) Was nice meeting everyone and putting faces to the names.

Oh and my GF won her weight class :D ;)

I'll let others post results, there are a few vids coming too, right new I need some sleep, only got five hours last night.

Was good to meet you Tudor :) I had a fantastic day - the vibe in the room, support from other lifters, and overall atmosphere was great. Finishing the day with dinner as a group is a great way to cap it all off.

Bodyweight of 91kg (and a bit), I made the following lifts:

SQ 120 pass /125 pass /130 fail (made the lift, racked prior to command)
BP 72.5 pass / 75 pass / 77.5 fail (let the bar rest of my chest, no tightness)
DL 165 pass / 170 pass / 180 pass

Got PB's in all three lifts. Many thanks to Minh for his help (and for forcing me to compete). And a big thanks to power lifter and physio, Chris Seville, for helping me out with some issues I had with my shoulder/arm after squats.

Looking forward to the novice comp in 16 weeks.

Results of ausbb members please

Just saw Aarons results, well done big fella, now keep building on that

How did Dancer go

I went 147.5/112.5/180 for 440 @96.3kg.

Pretty disappointed as I only went 4 from 9, only getting in my bench and dead openers. But my primary goal was to come back and compete after a long break, which I did, and I got through unscathed after spending the previous year getting over some annoying injures. And now I know what I need to work on to redeem myself next time. That's what competing is all about.

Great meeting some new faces today, TGM, Hirdy, Matt Middleton and a few others. Some great lifting and a brilliantly run event. Went like clockwork. And the live stream seemed to go well. It meant some of my family members could watch from home.

Thanks for asking, Markos. I didn't do very well today, as planned. The cutting weight really fucked with my strength, and it didn't help that I've been sick for the last few days, due to some throat bug I got from a girl :D Normally I'd just eat big and shrug it off after a day or so, but because of restricted diet for cutting weight, it just kept going and really killed my fitness.

Still, I managed to just edge out another guy (I think by 2.5 or 5kg) to get the bronze medal in the 83kg class with this 3rd deadlift attempt at 202.5kg (unofficial longest deadlift ever lol)

[YOUTUBE]ChlWeMqo8vU[/YOUTUBE]

The 200kg 2nd attempt was similar at the start, but a bit faster up. Basically I only got the bar up to mid-shin, thought I'd quit there but somehow said fuck it I'd never give up, and kept it going. At the start, I couldn't even breathe as the throat bug meant not much air got to my chest. The support I received from people there was phenomenal. I think that's why I could fight the bar.

My total was only 452.5kg (SQ 157.5/165x/165x BP 92.5/95x/95x DL 192.5/200/202.5) but I still got PBs in bench, deadlift and total. Way lower than planned though... After the 1st squat, I knew I had nothing. Less than a week earlier, I was doing SQ 155 2x2 and bench (paused) at 92.5 2x2 easily. By the time the deadlifts came, I just wanted to lie down and sleep. Had zero energy left.

Learned so much about comp prep today though, including chewing gums and spitting in cups to make weight. :D Next comp I'll compete at whatever bodyweight I'm at during training. I can't wait for that, am pretty fired up now!

I have videos of a titanic battle between Matt Middleton and Scott Hill in the 93kg, and will upload them tomorrow. Best one of the day.

Dave Jame squatting and deadlifting were major highlights. 270 SQ and 302.5 DL, both national records. He just missed 275 SQ and 307.5 DL. He'll get a bigger squat next Raw comp. He's just not used to raw squatting yet (never squatted raw more than 240kg in training).

Nathan Baxter was quite a showman. His banters with the judges were very enjoyable. Massive man, massive bench.

Dom Cadden, a 65kg lifter who looks like a pocket sized bodybuilder, totalled over 530kg. Insane.

Nghiep Luu at 68kg opened his deadlift at 240kg, and only because of a hand injury that he couldn't lift any higher. That's him just getting back to lifting, as his best was 240kg for 3x5 in training.

Dimi won best female lifter.

Jacinta Read is a 52kg class young female lifter who was very unlucky to bomb the squat on depth (not used to squatting raw). If she had that, she would have a 2xBW squat, 1.5xBW bench and over 2.5xBW deadlift. Someone to watch in the future.

Tudor (TGM) was there for 12 hours helping with videos, spotting and loading. Great guy!

Too many other awesome lifters and things to list here, and my brain is fried now. I'll post more tomorrow. A very well run competition!

Last edited:
Oh yeah just remember a few more:

Amir Fazali, new lifter to PA, won the 83kg class with a 585kg total or thereabout, and a record setting/breaking deadlift of 262.5kg. I think he squatted 200kg too. Very strong guy. I think he runs Adonis Athletes, a strength gym in Sydney.

A very young fella, 16 year old 60kg class lifter, did superbly well. I think he got a 175 or 180kg deadlift, either at or close to 3xBW. Squatted 140+ too, from memory.