• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Peaking

This whole "I can bust pr's anytime" sentiment is all well and good in theory but even the world's best lifters use progressive resistance and peaking before competitions. I doubt Coan went "oh hell, might try 20 reps squats tonight, fuck training for the rest of the week."

To be blunt, I think its stupid. Another band wagon idea from the messiah...

Difference is he was an elite level lifter going for records, not just a PB. This thread is about what you do, not what is best for everyone (well thats what i thought).

Do you train to Peak?

Can you perform to 99% of your capacity, 100% of the time?

I'm unsure if many conditioned athletes would able to decide a few days prior to a contest to register..go in it and hit a PR. For somebody like myself (a beginner in terms of weightlifting) most gains are done by simply getting better at a movement. As you become intermediate, advanced...and even more converted..elite...hitting a PR with minimal prep is difficult.

Do you train to Peak?

Can you perform to 99% of your capacity, 100% of the time?

This is to be a civil conversation Gentlemen (and Eje lol).

This can apply to Powerlifting. Do you only PB at comp?
This can apply to Bodybuilding. Do you run at 6% bf all the time?

Discuss. Nicely!

I guess it depends on how you define "Peaking"..?

I define peaking as being at 100% optimal performance.

Most training models; smolov, sheiko, concurrent/conjugated/linear periodisation (inlduing 5/3/1), block training, etc all have some defined peak to them. whether they are small session peaks per week, a monthly peak, a peak per block, etc..

That is not to say that you cannot go 100%.. 100% could easily be defined as a rate of percieved exertion(RPE). following any of the models above you should still be going at 100% some time during training..
although if following sheiko properly you might not get there.. if cut the rest periods you will for sure.. :)

Could i hit new PB's during mid cycle.. hell yes.. i do all the time..

But do i train to peak?
Hell Yes.. i train to compete.. i want to peak when i compete.. simple

A swimmer going in 4 events with heats, semis and finals will be screwed and outside PBs if they don't taper before an event. I'm not sure that it works the same with a powerlifter. Having said that, you obviously want to be at the peak of your powers...

I just like lifting heavy shit and getting abs ... I can hit within 10kg of my 1rm's any time any day anywhere....

Not strong enough yet to worry about peaking as such but having said that I train using the Westside template so I am doing a max effort (which is a 1rm each week for the squat and bench) each week but I try not to miss a weight in training but damn me I have got to try and keep up with Damir lol so I often end up missing a weight so I guess I am almost going to 100% each time

If your competing in a powerlifting comp (as a few of us on here do) why would you not tailor your training the competition?

If you train to be able to hit 90% of your max anytime anywhere then thats cool.

Personally I wouldn't be happy with leaving 10% on the platform.

I'd much rather hit whatever i need to in training to make sure I hit 110% of my max on comp day.

Bart Cummings, Sir Alex Ferguson (and a few other you can think of) share a common secret about 'peaking' their charges after 100's of years of combined experience.

That is: they cannot perform at 100% for an entire season, lest their season end very prematurely.

So instead, they perform at an elite level, for much of the their seasons, and peak at the most important point.

Therefore, I'd say they peak for somwhere around only 5-10% of their performances?

If your competing in a powerlifting comp (as a few of us on here do) why would you not tailor your training the competition?

If you train to be able to hit 90% of your max anytime anywhere then thats cool.

I'd much rather hit whatever i need to in training to make sure I hit 110% of my max on comp day.

NPR i don't know u, but I like u

Bart Cummings, Sir Alex Ferguson (and a few other you can think of) share a common secret about 'peaking' their charges after 100's of years of combined experience.

That is: they cannot perform at 100% for an entire season, lest their season end very prematurely.

So instead, they perform at an elite level, for much of the their seasons, and peak at the most important point.

Therefore, I'd say they peak for somwhere around only 5-10% of their performances?

Precisely.

There is no sport on the planet where the athletes are expected or trained to perform 100% "anytime, anyplace, anywhere" (damn catchy slogan though). It's neither humanly possible nor it is a good strategy. They should peak when it matters, to win games that matter.

I do powerlifting and I aim to be 100% when it counts (competition day).

austy said:
This can apply to Powerlifting. Do you only PB at comp?

If you mean a 1RM PB in the 3 competition lifts, then yes. If you mean a Personal Best, then I aim to have a PB in some thing every session. Last night I had a PB in Military Press for 3x3. Some other night, I might get a GHR PB. Every training cycle, I aim for a 3x5 PB in the 3 main lifts by the end.

not really a secret and is a method adopted in almost every sport there is

A big +1 from me here!!

The russian programs i have been following have a definate peaking cycle at the end and they are magic. Works amazingly.
Throughtout the 4 week cycles u get beaten down pretty bad to the extent that you would fail an 90% lift through pure fatigue.
Then for the peaking cycle this volume drops enough to counter the fatigue while maintaining enough not to detrain. The week before a comp you do hardly anything. I always get to comps think oh no im not prepared ive hardly lifted lately. And low and behold the last warmup and first attempts all feel like u have a rocket up ur ass!
I have PB'd every comp since starting this style and always suprise myself on the day.
Proper peaking is magic.