• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Pendlay Econ V2 Bumpers

Y

yard_ape

The Pendlay bumpers look to be about the cheapest you can get in Australia. Following that I think the economy Iron Edge are next. I haven't used either so will be buying on the net.

Anybody used both and have an opinion either way?

Is it worth paying more for a better set for a home gym? I will mainly be using them for DL and power cleans and have never dropped a bar from overhead - but never say never!

Cheers

We have the Iron Edge economy bumpers at our crossfit gym - which operates 5 classes/day 6 days a week + 2 oly lifting classes for the last 2 years

weights are constantly dropped from various distances, they seem to hold up quite well for the amount of use they are put through, no cracks etc with the exception of the 5kg plates which when used on their own are not designed to be dropped

one of these developed a crack as they are dropped a fair bit at our gym as they are used on their own - even then i wouldn't be buying the full size 2.5/5kg bumpers, i'd be going the smaller weight plates instead of bumpers ie;

5kg Rubber Weight Plates - Iron Edge Fitness Equipment - Train Smarter

never used the Pendlay bumpers, but only have good things to say about the Iron Edge ones - i really like the look of their premium plates

I love my Pendlay Econ v2's; the steel inserts fit perfectly on the ABC BOP220 and the rubber seems very durable with little bounce when dropped.

I believe these bumpers are made in the same factory and rebranded by Rogue (HG) and Troy (VTX).

I am in process of buying bumpers at moment. Had a look at pendlay plates in store today and also some Calibre branded bumpers (which looked identical to the pendlay in every way apart from logo) and was not as impressed by the finish as others have been. The metal sleeve was rough in places and thinner than it appears in pictures. I have used the Iron Edge economy extensively at my gym and really liked them but freight was a killer. After reading a few reviews that the Muscle Motion plates were the same as IE, and looking at the images on their website I would agree, I ended up hitting the button on 150kg set of Muscle Motion plates today, along with their cheap barbell. I plan on getting a ABC bar down the track when I have more play money and will use the cheapy for rack stuff.

In the crossfit section at my Gym they have 20kg IVANKO plates, a majority of them are splitting at the seams and across the middle.

a little over a year old and no where near the use of some gyms.

I am in process of buying bumpers at moment. Had a look at pendlay plates in store today and also some Calibre branded bumpers (which looked identical to the pendlay in every way apart from logo) and was not as impressed by the finish as others have been. The metal sleeve was rough in places and thinner than it appears in pictures. I have used the Iron Edge economy extensively at my gym and really liked them but freight was a killer. After reading a few reviews that the Muscle Motion plates were the same as IE, and looking at the images on their website I would agree, I ended up hitting the button on 150kg set of Muscle Motion plates today, along with their cheap barbell. I plan on getting a ABC bar down the track when I have more play money and will use the cheapy for rack stuff.

I looked at the MM ones yesterday when I picked up some fractional plates from the warehouse.

The steel inserts in the MM plates are nowhere near as nice a finish as the Pendlay V2's.

I looked at the MM ones yesterday when I picked up some fractional plates from the warehouse.

The steel inserts in the MM plates are nowhere near as nice a finish as the Pendlay V2's.

Are you familiar with the IE bumpers? Am I correct in assumption that the MM and IE are _VERY_ similar?

Sorry, I have a bunch of IE equipment, but have never seen the IE bumpers.

The MM plates will serve you well; they definitely have a more convenient bevel than the Pendlay V2 plates. And being colourful is a plus!

From what I can find they are thinner plates too allowing more to be loaded on. I agonised over purchase, as part time employed uni student and parent throwing a tonne down on gym gear wasn't easy :D