• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Personal Trainer advice

Sydking

ok, So im sure a few of you have seen the thread i made about Getting training sorted with my girlfriend.

Had no luck....SoooOoooo

She went and saw a PT through a reccomendation from someone on another BB fourm.

First consult was today and the info she gave her left we wondering a bit.

1) Missus gave her Dexa scan results of recent and PT stated NOT to follow the MACRO breakdown given

She was told to have 2000 cal per day for a few weeks and go from there.

Fair enough. Everyone is diffrent and ajustments up or down need to be made.

She said not to bother with counting cals for now and the PT is goign to give her a full day to day meal plan made up of 2000 cals and to just follow that for now.

2) i had her doing the Begginer BB .

squats,bench,MP, Deads, Curls every second day.

Now the PT said that this was too much on the bulking side of things and she will have to give her another weights plan as is takes time to build up the the BB progam listed

Now that sounds like crap to me.

I didnet argue to much as obviously my plan for her on the begginer BB and strict macros didnet work.

Sydking...I think different things work for different people?

God, to lose weight I tried everything. Atkins, South Beach, WW, Fat burning pills, workout DVD's, I walked every night, attempting to stick to calorie controlled meals, shake only diets...

Ahhh the list goes on.

And all of the above, work. For some of the people, some of the time?

But something has to 'click' within your gf for her to be successful at anything?

After all the money I spent on fads and pills and shakes...I just got bigger and bigger.

It wasn't until I stripped my life right back and went back to basics and was fully committed to my health and myself, that anything worked for me.

I ate more protein, limited my carbs and increased my incidental exercise. (i.e. riding my retro bike, walking, using the scooter etc)

90% of weight loss, is all about what you stick in your mouth - full stop. The end.

exercise is important, for bone strength and cardiovascular health and to tone as you lose the weight. But the most important thing will be her diet. By far.

And thinking back, I didn't count calories, I didn't cut out food groups. I just made sure I ate healthily, largely unprocessed food. Lots of protein and veg, some fruit, some carbs, some grains...but I minimised them. Cut back on portion and just moved my arse.

The exercise I built up, over time. And I've been able to lose 70+kg in 14 months.

It's only NOW I'm starting weight training to build muscle and help tone and I still have a little weight left to lose.

The PT is probably right in her methods, to ensure your gf concentrates on her diet more than anything else.

But really, in the end, no amount of good advice or conflicting advice matters - your gf has got to want this, for herself.

And once she does, everything else will fall into place and happen for her.

imo...a PT is unecessary and expensive, at this stage in your gf's journey. She needs to learn how to eat to nourish her body and achieve consistent weight loss. Everything else is secondary.

But that's just my opinion.

I do wish her the very best of luck though :)

Weight loss is the main goal

2000 is way to much!
Stick to your compound lift plan, calories maxed at 1500 40/30/30 p/c/f and find a new trainer that will teach her form and how to train herself progressively moving forward.
Cheers
Kaz

2000 is way to much!
Stick to your compound lift plan, calories maxed at 1500 40/30/30 p/c/f and find a new trainer that will teach her form and how to train herself progressively moving forward.
Cheers
Kaz

They are the exact cals and macros i had her on. But getting her to eat them and stick to them is antoher problem all together.

Im intresting to she how this goes in the next month so i will keep this updated on her progress.

deep how do you know 2000 cals is too much? You have no idea how much she weighs right now? What her BMI is? Or anything else about her for that matter?

Loosely speaking, my original calorie intake for weight loss was 2250cals a day.

I was a BIG girl and obviously as time progressed, I dropped that number as the scales reflected the weight loss. But I never followed it strictly, I just ate well. Minimised my portions and went for it. I roughly know the calories of most foods anyway, but I never measured or counted as such. It would have done my head in. But some people have better success if they do?

Sydking, I did skim through the last thread briefly and I seem to recall your gf has quite a bit of weight to lose? I'm also sure you're knowledgable enough to work out what her calorie intake should be for weight loss mode, to confirm she's eating enough.

But you can't do it for her. She needs to stick to it and want it. I do recall my resolve kicking in during week one after a 6kg weight loss, I thought...I can do this damnit!

And it's been a long road. And some weeks you lose nothing, and a week later you'll drop 4kg - it's all swings and roundabouts ;)

But I think the only reason it clicked for me, was that for the first time I wasn't concentrating on the scale, I just wanted to feel well and healthy.

I took up yoga, I did tai chi, I bought my retro bike, I purchased a scooter...and all of my everyday activities became movement orientated. I still do all of these things today, 70+kgs lighter....and I can say, with great happiness, I am MUCH better at yoga these days lol But I still class swimming, biking and scootering as my incidental exercise - I don't rack it up to be counted as purposeful cardio. My HIIT workouts cover that (10 minute workouts are easy enough to jam in and easy enough to achieve with minimal pain)

Anyway, I'm sure it's hard trying to help someone you love. So kudos to you!

And I hope something clicks for her soon to make her want this, as much as you seem to want it for her :)

Sydking...I think different things work for different people?

God, to lose weight I tried everything. Atkins, South Beach, WW, Fat burning pills, workout DVD's, I walked every night, attempting to stick to calorie controlled meals, shake only diets...

Ahhh the list goes on.

And all of the above, work. For some of the people, some of the time?

But something has to 'click' within your gf for her to be successful at anything?

After all the money I spent on fads and pills and shakes...I just got bigger and bigger.

It wasn't until I stripped my life right back and went back to basics and was fully committed to my health and myself, that anything worked for me.

I ate more protein, limited my carbs and increased my incidental exercise. (i.e. riding my retro bike, walking, using the scooter etc)

90% of weight loss, is all about what you stick in your mouth - full stop. The end.

exercise is important, for bone strength and cardiovascular health and to tone as you lose the weight. But the most important thing will be her diet. By far.

And thinking back, I didn't count calories, I didn't cut out food groups. I just made sure I ate healthily, largely unprocessed food. Lots of protein and veg, some fruit, some carbs, some grains...but I minimised them. Cut back on portion and just moved my arse.

The exercise I built up, over time. And I've been able to lose 70+kg in 14 months.

It's only NOW I'm starting weight training to build muscle and help tone and I still have a little weight left to lose.

The PT is probably right in her methods, to ensure your gf concentrates on her diet more than anything else.

But really, in the end, no amount of good advice or conflicting advice matters - your gf has got to want this, for herself.

And once she does, everything else will fall into place and happen for her.

imo...a PT is unecessary and expensive, at this stage in your gf's journey. She needs to learn how to eat to nourish her body and achieve consistent weight loss. Everything else is secondary.

But that's just my opinion.

I do wish her the very best of luck though :)

I aslo argued that a PT was a waste of time and money, Ive taken the time and trained her and set calories and helped with meals ect.

But as she said its much harder with someone in a relationship so mabey the outside help will give her the mind frame and motivation.

One thing for sure its not easy to tell the ones you love that they cant have any Ice cream :)

BUt i agree, Something needs to click and passion and commitment will come from that.

i warned her that this will all be a waste of time if shes not going to stick to it.

Ive tried everything i can think off to no avail. So im intrested to see how this goes.

Last edited:
I aslo argued that a PT was a waste of time and money, Ive taken the time and trained her and set calories and helped with meals ect.

But as she said its much harder with someone in a relationship so mabey the outside help will give her the mind frame and motivation.

One thing for sure its not easy to tell the ones you love that they cant have any Ice cream :)

BUt i agress, Something needs to click and passion and commitment will come from that.

i warned her that this will all be a waste of time if shes not going to stick to it.

Ive tried everything i can think off to no avail. So im intrested to see how this goes.

Aww you're a good man Syd lol

But even with all of your knowledge and help - she knows you love her, regardless. So why try harder? Sometimes an outsider is important to offer perspective and assist with motivation?

I know some people have success with this anyway. Some of my closest friends are PT's and this is how they generate their income afterall lol

But it will be all about her diet. And it should never be up to you to say no to ice cream anyway lol (tooooo hardddd)

Your gf needs to be the one to say to you "No more shit in the house, no chips, no ice cream, no chocolate - I mean it!" and if you love her, you'll do as she asks :p

That's determination to succeed my friend...and I'm sure she'll get there, one way or another :)

deep how do you know 2000 cals is too much? You have no idea how much she weighs right now? What her BMI is? Or anything else about her for that matter?

Loosely speaking, my original calorie intake for weight loss was 2250cals a day.

I was a BIG girl and obviously as time progressed, I dropped that number as the scales reflected the weight loss. But I never followed it strictly, I just ate well. Minimised my portions and went for it. I roughly know the calories of most foods anyway, but I never measured or counted as such. It would have done my head in. But some people have better success if they do?

Sydking, I did skim through the last thread briefly and I seem to recall your gf has quite a bit of weight to lose? I'm also sure you're knowledgable enough to work out what her calorie intake should be for weight loss mode, to confirm she's eating enough.

But you can't do it for her. She needs to stick to it and want it. I do recall my resolve kicking in during week one after a 6kg weight loss, I thought...I can do this damnit!

And it's been a long road. And some weeks you lose nothing, and a week later you'll drop 4kg - it's all swings and roundabouts ;)

But I think the only reason it clicked for me, was that for the first time I wasn't concentrating on the scale, I just wanted to feel well and healthy.

I took up yoga, I did tai chi, I bought my retro bike, I purchased a scooter...and all of my everyday activities became movement orientated. I still do all of these things today, 70+kgs lighter....and I can say, with great happiness, I am MUCH better at yoga these days lol But I still class swimming, biking and scootering as my incidental exercise - I don't rack it up to be counted as purposeful cardio. My HIIT workouts cover that (10 minute workouts are easy enough to jam in and easy enough to achieve with minimal pain)

Anyway, I'm sure it's hard trying to help someone you love. So kudos to you!

And I hope something clicks for her soon to make her want this, as much as you seem to want it for her :)

The last cals that i had set for her were based on the DEXA scan. This is said to be the most accurate way. Though like the PT said to her. Thats in theroy from a machine. But Dosnet mean it will suit that individual.

I adgee with that to a degree aswell. But she was never consitant with it.

i think some initial weight loss will the the motivator, As so many tired and failed attemps dont do to well for the motivation.

She does have a bit to loose, Her scan results were

BF = 45.5 % 92KG total weight

and her macros were set as 1600 per day, 120 P 160 C 53 F

Only thing i did was swap the carbs and protien around.

I hate the term weight loss. Bring her to me, I'll make her loose 5kg of weight in one day, I promise. If I can't, I'll give you $500.

Fat loss on the other hand is a different issue entirely.

It's not rocket science. Cals in vs cals out.
Lift weight to build muscle mass, which will increase her BMR, which will increase cals burnt at rest.

I hate the term weight loss. Bring her to me, I'll make her loose 5kg of weight in one day, I promise. If I can't, I'll give you $500.

Fat loss on the other hand is a different issue entirely.

It's not rocket science. Cals in vs cals out.
Lift weight to build muscle mass, which will increase her BMR, which will increase cals burnt at rest.

Now put the oh so simple cals in vs cals out into ones day to day life.

Belive me mate ive tried it all with her.

Its def made me learn you can only help someone so much. Rest is up to them.

Yes, my bad.. Fat loss is much more appropriate.

Only someone who's never been overweight can say it's as simple as cal's in vs cals out. lol

I think intellectually, every fat or overweight person on earth knows that - but we've typically conditioned ourselves to overeat and overindulge over a period of years, if not a lifetime. It's a difficult thing to put into practice.

And none of us overeat just because we love food. There's always a reason we're abusing our bodies. And it is...abuse.

But no one can lose fat for you - that's the gift you have to give yourself :)

I have been severely overweight and to me it is as simple as cals in vs cals out. The first thing you have to ask yourself is why am I eating? To me the truth is your fat because you ate it. As soon as you stop making excuses to why you ate it or in my case at the moment why you dont eat more you will progress. I have been stuck in both positions. The last couple of weeks I have been losing weight when I am trying to gain muscle. I have to ask myself why dont I eat more and make a change. It really is up to you and does come down to cals in vs cals out. Sticky is spot on with the term "weight loss" as well. I tell people who want to lose weight I can chop one of there arms off if they like theres a good 6 or 7 kg right there.

lol boxing

I don't think anyone wants to be amputated? :)

You're right, Sticky's right - it's energy in/energy out - but it's harder for some to apply and stick to. Simple as that. No matter the reason, the issue behind fat gain in the first place and the reason they continue to eat? That's a personal issue for each and every person who is overweight or underweight.

I, like everyone else, can only speak from personal experience. My focus was 100% on my health after watching my mother die. It was no longer about the number on the scale. In fact, I don't think I even weighed myself for the first 4 months. It just wasn't as important as the holistic approach I took to my mind, body and soul.

So the result for me, has been incredible - but I still have a way to go.

Rambo's sig is spot on imo.

Think about what it is you want....and do whatever you have to do, to get there.

Simple as that.

But you have to want it.

Being healthier, leaner and fitter has to be more important, than that extra large bowl of ice cream you have every night, or the bag of chips you devour in nano-seconds or the crap you graze on all day long, everyday.

Same can be said for people who are underweight or anorexic - weight itself, is very much a mental thing, stemming from trauma or self doubt or lack of self awareness, or as a way to cope or control, it just manifests as too much weight, or a lack of weight. You're either burying feelings, or starving them.

The key is to find a balance....somewhere in the middle, where food becomes a nutrition source and a pleasurable experience again. Not something you reward yourself with, or punish yourself because of.

Only someone who's never been overweight can say it's as simple as cal's in vs cals out. lol

Incorrect. Science says cals in cals out.

Sure there might be emotional/psychological factors that make it hard to do, which as a coach I've delt with first hand, but it doesn't change the fact...

Eat a deficit, you will become lighter.

2000 is way to much!
Cheers
Kaz

With the information given in this thread how could you know this??

I have been on both sides of the weight loss spectrum. I have been really skinny and also overweight.

The biggest thing i found is without weighing foods out and counting calores at least for a while people have no friggin idea at all how many calories they are taking in. Also they have no idea how many calories they should be eating.

Incorrect. Science says cals in cals out.

Sure there might be emotional/psychological factors that make it hard to do, which as a coach I've delt with first hand, but it doesn't change the fact...

Eat a deficit, you will become lighter.

Yes, you're right Sticky. In theory and practice, that is a scientific fact lol

I have been on both sides of the weight loss spectrum. I have been really skinny and also overweight.

The biggest thing i found is without weighing foods out and counting calores at least for a while people have no friggin idea at all how many calories they are taking in. Also they have no idea how many calories they should be eating.

This is a good point Bazza, initially at least for some people, it can be incredibly useful so they have a guide to know what they're taking in each day.

Last edited by a moderator:
How would you go eating 2000 cals worrth of Tim Tams?

Not really as simple as in v out.