• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Post workout supplements to aid muscle recovery

Oilucy

Just wondering what everyone is using to assist sore muscles?
On the whole I generally take minimal supplements but I do have creatine pre-workout and a protein shake post workout. Have just started taking BCAA's pre workout too but so far havent noticed any real difference (its been about a week - is that too soon?)
I generally do a one hour weights program and quite often a 5 km run (mostly split so that I do say weights before work and run in my lunch break as opposed to at the same time).
Basically my whole body aches after a weights session!

To be really honest you dont even need the protein shake. Creatine and any vitamins that you may not be getting enough of in your diet ( zinc, vit D3, Vit C etc. ) are really all you need to actually supplement.

If you eat the right macro breakdown and get sufficient protein intake everyday supps are a waste of money.

I have cut away all supps apart from caffeine preworkout and several vitamins that i have deficiencies in ( supported by blood work so i know i need them ) and the rest comes from diet and my results have actually improved due to the deficiencies being sorted out... despite the lack of any protein supps, bcaa`s etc.

All comes down to convenience, if you can eat the right foods theres no need for supps, if you are busy and cant eat right then they may have a place in your diet.

If your body aches after a weight session look into you training and amount of food you are eating, also how hydrated you are. Get this sorted before you look into any supps to help.

On the whole I generally take minimal supplements but I do have creatine pre-workout and a protein shake post workout. Have just started taking BCAA's pre workout too but so far havent noticed any real difference (its been about a week - is that too soon?)
I generally do a one hour weights program and quite often a 5 km run (mostly split so that I do say weights before work and run in my lunch break as opposed to at the same time).

You wouldn't expect to notice any difference with BCAAs. You would have already been getting plenty of BCAAs in the food you eat anyway.

No legal supplements are going to make a difference to soreness.

Soreness is just an indicator that your body is not conditioned to what you are doing. Do it more often and you won't keep getting sore.

Sounds like you need to go and get yourself some "more frequency"

Should help

I do a weights session 5 times a week and in addition to the weights I do a 5km run generally at least 3 times a week.
I literally cant fit in any more sessions as I work full time and have small children. As it is there are days that I go to the gym at 4:30am so that my husband is still at home with the children enabling me to escape...
I'm definately adequately hydrated and would drink a min of 3 litres of water every day.
In regards to diet, I eat healithy though I dont eat a lot of meat hence the reason I have a protein shake.

Soreness is good, embrace it knowing that you have trained hard. :)

I don't think BCAA's will make much difference to soreness, I have used them and not used them(not using them atm) and noted no difference.

Only supplement I am using atm is WPI. And some vitamins and fish oil.

Tried BCAA's glutamine and noted no difference.

Still have some Creatine at home but currently not using it. Not using any preworkout either.

BCAAs are a nice way to get some added aminos (I use them for that) but they won't make any difference to recovery really.

What the guys said...if you are not used to a particular exercise or training program, you will feel sore...once you adapt, that will pass.

When you change it up, you will probably feel soreness again.

Best thing for it is to listen to your body ... eat well, hydrate and rest up.

Given the first two seem covered, maybe rest up a bit more. Maybe try skipping a run session or a gym session per week. You do train a lot (8 sessions all up) and it is quite possible you are OVER TRAINING.

Maybe do 3-4 gym sessions and make it quality time. 5-6 sessions TOTAL per week is ok.

I think you are doing too much, frankly.

5 sessions a week? But how is it split up?
If you hit your body parts one a day eg-chest, back, legs, shoulders, arms, there's 7 days a break.. That seems to have people sore after every session.. If you upper, lower, legs, push, pull or something it's only 3-4 days between, generally results in less soreness...
If you already do that, then fucks me, maybe you have a tumour?

I'd agree with CCM try to rest more it will let you properly reap the benefits of your training. Also shakes are not necessary you can have chicken, fish, cottage cheese etc the list is long, diet is key you need to hit your calories and macros. Magnesium helps with soreness, if your joints are sore whack in oils and gluvosameine. I gave converted to one shake a day and that's before I sleep.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Well just did a killer leg session and tried something new.

Had a Hamburger with the works and a can of Mothers straight after the workout:eek:

Not my usual diet so will see how that goes:rolleyes:

I'd agree with CCM try to rest more it will let you properly reap the benefits of your training. Also shakes are not necessary you can have chicken, fish, cottage cheese etc the list is long, diet is key you need to hit your calories and macros. Magnesium helps with soreness, if your joints are sore whack in oils and gluvosameine. I gave converted to one shake a day and that's before I sleep.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Yep I do same. I have a shake before bed if I still haven't hit my macros. Also seems to help me sleep better.

Magnesium is great although I have noticed it also helps with sleep but only helps muscle soreness a bit.

I love having a shake before bed!
I don't split my weights routine at all so I actually do a full body routine in one go. I do this tues lunchtime followed by a 5km run after work, wed 5km run, thurs weights before work and 5km run at lunchtime, Fri I have off, sat is generally 5km run and Sunday weights only.