• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Power rack!

G

Genises

Power Rack Squat Cage Stands w Lat Pulldown Home Gym - Online Shopping with FactoryFast Australia

Heya, i'd really like some opinions on this rack before I decide to sell my current cyberfit one (pic attached) What do you guys think, am I upgrading or is it not worth it?

20140517_194010.jpg

The power rack looks fine but the lat pull-down attachment doesn't look very sturdy to me. However looks can be deceiving, so trying it (the lat bit) would be good. Otherwise, just focus on using it for some heavy duty in the rack movements.

Fadi.

I hate the idea of racking a bar straight onto a metal bolt thing like that, I see on your rack it looks like you've covered them in tape. I'm also never sure why power racks are so deep, surely it could be half as deep and be just as useful without taking up as much space? It would also make it stronger, in particular the safety pins.

I'm also never sure why power racks are so deep, surely it could be half as deep and be just as useful without taking up as much space? It would also make it stronger, in particular the safety pins.
The reason power racks are as deep as they are is so they cater for a variety of crucial movements. One movement in particular that hardly anyone knows about is the jerk balance or jerk recovery movement. I hope that answers your curiosity Sir.

Fadi.

The reason power racks are as deep as they are is so they cater for a variety of crucial movements. One movement in particular that hardly anyone knows about is the jerk balance or jerk recovery movement. I hope that answers your curiosity Sir.

Fadi.

I've never done any jerk recoveries, mostly because I've never been around a rack tall enough. But when power racks are used in weightlifting they usually seem to be very shallow, like the ZKC ones

1zJze5Y.jpg

... But when power racks are used in weightlifting they usually seem to be very shallow, like the ZKC ones

1zJze5Y.jpg
I've never seen such a shallow rack before, but then again, I'm talking Olympic weightlifting (power rack) a la 1982. Things may have changed since then, but most definitely a deep rack would be needed for a proper execution of a jerk recovery.

Fadi.

In terms of sturdiness, it says it's rated to handle 800 pounds on the pulley system, that sounds insanely high to me, isn't that a weirdly high number for pulleys?

"*Barbell hooks: 272 kg (600 lbs)
*Barbell safeties: 363 kg (800 lbs)
*High and low pulleys: 363 kg (800 lbs)"

Power Rack Squat Cage Stands w Lat Pulldown Home Gym - Online Shopping with FactoryFast Australia

Heya, i'd really like some opinions on this rack before I decide to sell my current cyberfit one (pic attached) What do you guys think, am I upgrading or is it not worth it?

/QUOTE]

The cyberfit is a better rack.

The chin bar is better, the bar hooks are better, the safeties can be removed. Fucked if id swap my cyberfit for that thing.

Only negative with with the cyberfit is the rear horizontal brace which means you squat from front safeties instead of rear. If that's a concern cause you want to do heavy walkouts for pl comps turn around when you squat.

The reason power racks are as deep as they are is so they cater for a variety of crucial movements. One movement in particular that hardly anyone knows about is the jerk balance or jerk recovery movement. I hope that answers your curiosity Sir

Fadi.

Hi fadi,
For the jerk balance would these be done in a custom made rack for the height? I never thought of doing these in a rack. I'm in the process of making my own rack and now thinking maybe I should have made it a bit higher for these exercises.
Cheers

In terms of sturdiness, it says it's rated to handle 800 pounds on the pulley system, that sounds insanely high to me, isn't that a weirdly high number for pulleys?

"*Barbell hooks: 272 kg (600 lbs)
*Barbell safeties: 363 kg (800 lbs)
*High and low pulleys: 363 kg (800 lbs)"

I would question them on what gauge steel is used in the main rack. They claim "Heavy gauge steel for maximum toughness"
They should be able to tell you the thickness of the rack. You don't want a rack that's only 1.6mm wall thickness. Don't rely on their statement of heavy gauge.
Cheers

I don't understand why you want to buy a new one.

But then again I don't really understand most of what goes on here.

Now I'm confused that rack in the op is definitely not a cyberfit rack

20140517_194148.jpg

Nah man, it is a cyberfit rack

Anyone know what kind of weights my cyberfit one can handle?

I don't understand why you want to buy a new one.

But then again I don't really understand most of what goes on here.

I'm not sure how much weight my current rack can take, i dunno if im starting to lift too heavy for it to still be safe.

Last edited:
20140517_194148.jpg

Nah man, it is a cyberfit rack

Anyone know what kind of weights my cyberfit one can handle?

I'm not sure how much weight my current rack can take, i dunno if im starting to lift too heavy for it to still be safe.

Shit that's old school cyberfit. Man I wouldn't be to worried that rack will be fine, I wouldn't sweat on it unless you are rep ping sets of 200kg squats.

how do you normally bail out, do you just sit back on the pins or do the proper bail out and dump the whole load from height?

nah, if ever i bail on squats it's at the bottom, you really reckon it could take that kind of weight?! that's great! :) thanks :)

Hi fadi,
For the jerk balance would these be done in a custom made rack for the height? I never thought of doing these in a rack. I'm in the process of making my own rack and now thinking maybe I should have made it a bit higher for these exercises.
Cheers
I haven't really seen what is termed to be a small or low rack, but then again I haven't been to a gym in years (I've got my own at home). All you need to do to insure that you've got the right height, would be to grab a bar with (say) a full size weight disk and hold it overhead with locked arms...as long as you've got some room between the top of the weight disks and the upper portion of the rack then all is good, ..otherwise it's back to some modification in cutting and re-welding or bolting.

Fadi.