• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

power shrugs vs normal shrugs

When l do shrugs (once a year :|) l like a normal shrug with a 2ish second pause at the top. Probably dont listen to me though as my traps are the same size as an eight year old girl.

Depends on what your doing mate...as a "growth" exercise a normal shrug will be better...for a power movement, or deveolping explosive power...a power shrug will be better...

This prob belongs in the strength section really...

As Joel said it depends on your goals.

I never noticed much trap growth until I gave power shrugs a go. Seem to notice them getting bigger within weeks of adding them in.

I love powershrugs.

you could do them both, start with a few sets of power, then finish with some high rep strict shrugs.

the guy from Choas & pain says that your wasting your time shrugging with anything less then 180kg. And that guy has massive traps

Last edited:
Yeah ripp and Bill Starr suggest you should eventually be doing sets of 5 with about 50kg over your 1rm deadlift.

I have only just got within 100kg of my max deadlift and its still doing the job very well. Looking to work these hard for a while.

Im assuming you would need to use straps for these? Or is my grip just weak because l doubt l could hold my 1rm deadlift for a 5 count of anything.

Im assuming you would need to use straps for these? Or is my grip just weak because l doubt l could hold my 1rm deadlift for a 5 count of anything.

Yep straps and double overhand. Power shrugs wont work well with mixed grip. Even with straps your grip gets a workout on these.