• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Powerlifting feds

wingman

Super M0derator
Whats the point of powerlifting feds? Why are there multiple?

Why can't there be none, and just be real world, country and state records based on what has been lifted in your location previously?

There could still be a drug tested and nontested division, weight divisions, gender division of course.

Oh dear, cue shitfight.

You need a fed to keep records, set rules and standards, organise comps, etc.

Once there was only one in Oz, then there were some disagreements and then we had two or three, now there has been another disagreement and there is four (or five if you include Proraw).

Last edited:
You've obviously read Henrys write up...

Who would run your organisation? Where would the equipment come from? Who would run comps? Who would set what equipment is allowed? What if I wanted to squat in 2 ply, not single like the IPF?

A lot of work (in most cases) goes into the running of comps, and as its volunteer work, not many people put their hands up to do it, and teh ones that do, generally can't do their job.

You have different kinds of feds
Untested
Tested
Raw (belt)
Raw (belt and wraps)
RAW (no supportive gear)
Raw (with odd lifts like military press and barbell curl)
Single ply
Double ply
Multi ply
Monolifts
Squat stands
Different depth allowances / touch times

Theres only one "fed" for afl or nrl, why does this sport need to be different?

This is what i think stops some people competing in PL. Played footy pretty much my whole life. Each league has hundreds of players and the competition is strong both within and between teams. When I first found about powerlifting i was real keen to compete. Then I looked up some of the competitions and there are often 1 or 2 people in a division. Turned me off competing straight away.

Its bigger than Australia. The split actually started in the early 80s when you had two American offshoots from the IPF. After drug testing was introduced, only the IPF went down that road as it was affiliated with the International Olympic Committee (powerlifting is a World Games sport).

What is now the WPC has been around for so many years that WPC-style powerlifting has evolved as almost a different sport to IPF-style powerlifting. Not saying one is better than the other - it's just different. IPF has chosen to go down a road to try and emulate IWF weightlifting - WADA, less weight classes, less age divisions, IOC affiliation. WPC has let things evolve with the lifters desire to push the envelope on the actual weights lifted, which is why they have more equipment choices, monolift, etc.

Then you've got all the various shades that have developed in between.

Different people have a preference for the different styles of powerlifting - just like some people are rugby union and some are rugby league. To an outsider who grew up with Aussie rules, union and league look like the same sport, but they obviously are not.

Assuming you could get past the international politics and the historical split specific to Australia, you couldn't have a sporting organisation which ran a non-tested and properly tested division in Australia. A proper drug testing program with out of comp testing relies on Federal funding. The Australian Sports Commission won't do this for a sporting body that has a non-tested division. It's as simple as that.

Name another sport in Australia which has a single governing body and runds tested and untested divisions? There isn't one. The closest parallel to powerlifting is boxing - multiple federations with different rules, different rankings, different titles, different records.

It is interesting when you consider that AFL and it's rules are based on esthetics more than measures, I mean; it's "in the back" unless you are flying high to take a spekky, I love footy!

Theres only one "fed" for afl or nrl, why does this sport need to be different?

afl
nrl
aussie rules
soccer
gridiron
etc,

different "codes" because people like to kick a ball different,......why is there not one football...???

people like also like to lift shit different

afl
nrl
aussie rules
soccer
gridiron
etc,

different "codes" because people like to kick a ball different,......why is there not one football...???

Funny.
But power thugs all use the bar bell.

It is interesting when you consider that AFL and it's rules are based on esthetics more than measures, I mean; it's "in the back" unless you are flying high to take a spekky, I love footy!

That's not quite right. First you can't use your hands to push yourself up to go for the mark. Second you have to be going for the ball. You can't just jump in someone's back.

That's not quite right. First you can't use your hands to push yourself up to go for the mark. Second you have to be going for the ball. You can't just jump in someone's back.

Just kidding around knackers, I do love footy, I'm reflecting on the irony.
The decisions are confusing at best and I've played and watched this great game all my life.
It's getting faster and the players are getting smaller, they look like little kids these days, wait I'm getting older.

afl
nrl
aussie rules
soccer
gridiron
etc,

Yeah but they are different sports and also have more than a handful of people in each fed.

The problems of the numbers of feds would be non existent if there were large numbers of people to compete and support each fed but there isn't.

But it is on its way up

Agree and that's great but more is needed. For a sport that has nation wide Feds it's needs to be much bigger.

The thing is footy teams in small country towns of a few thousand people often have budgets of $200,000 just for player payments. Not even including the other costs of running a footy club. The total of all the powerlifting Feds in Aus probably don't even have that much cash to spend.

Money and participation is what is needed. Another example is good country footy players often get $1000 a game just to play often more. Winners of PL comps deserve decent cash prizes as incentives.

I am not having a go at you sicky and think your are doing a great job and you probably know everything I just said anyway. Lol.