• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Preparing for comp alone - possible?

teans

Hi all,

I'm wanting to compete in a comp (fitness model division) in September. I'm a PT do I have a good idea of the training side of it, and I know a little of the nutrition side of things.

I'd pay for a coach but funds are a little tight at the moment so I'm thinking of just going it alone/asking questions where I need to. Also I figure that it will give me good grounding to be able to coach others in the future.

Has anyone done this successfully before or am I setting myself up for disappointment?

It can be done but the better prepared will have coaches to help with diet, training for symmetry and lean mass, and of course posing practice.
You can go it alone and enter your comp as an experience, and speak to the judges for feedback, it will give you a good run on discipline with diet and training.
If and when I compete I will be doing it without a coach, I have a few girlfriends who are six weeks out.

Last edited:
Thanks so much deep :) yes that is what I hope my first comp will give me, experience and discipline. I didn't think about posing practice, I will look out for some workshops.

Hi all,

I'm wanting to compete in a comp (fitness model division) in September. I'm a PT do I have a good idea of the training side of it, and I know a little of the nutrition side of things.

I'd pay for a coach but funds are a little tight at the moment so I'm thinking of just going it alone/asking questions where I need to. Also I figure that it will give me good grounding to be able to coach others in the future.

Has anyone done this successfully before or am I setting myself up for disappointment?

Hi there.

Welcome.

You are not setting yourself up for disappointment at all. You just need to do your research.

The posing and diet mainly.

Anyone can diet,you need to know when to re-feed, when to drop a few more calories, how to manipulate water on the final days etc..

A LOT of pro bbers never asked anyone to help them , they did it all them selves, even some Mr O's.

Just do your research. You are only setting yourself up for disappointment if you don't believe in yourself.

How badly do you want it, is the question?

Thanks so much deep :) yes that is what I hope my first comp will give me, experience and discipline. I didn't think about posing practice, I will look out for some workshops.

A few gyms run the workshops, they are reasonably inexpensive but invaluable.
What city you in?

If your friendly with your local supplement store that's generally a good place to start, they are usually owned by past competitors/champions and would be able to point you in the right direction....

Just look out for people with no idea trying to con you in to buy more supplements.

If your near Erina/Newcastle or Maitland hit up Mark at EHS (Past NABBA Mr Australia), otherwise just sus out your local store and if they have any experience in competing.

Not necessarily ,

Like i said, you need to do your research. Go to shows, watch videos, practise practise practise.

Again,

How bad do you want it..?

I just think you should give it your best darn shot. You will learn heaps and also what Jchen says, do your research to the best of your ability.

Just remember the best way to learn how to do something is to bloody well do it.

good luck
G

Chances are you will meet people at the show who will give you tips for future comps or offer to help out next time. You'll probably nail it anyway.

Best of luck Tina.

I have never done a comp before but I am planning to next year....and I would not do a show without someone at least watching my progress and helping me with posing...

1. You can never look at yourself in the mirror and give yourself true feedback to where your at in your diet...you'll either think your better than you are or worse....you need someone to look at you each week...go through some poses and check how your going...

2. Posing...I dont think this is something you can learn on your own again...again you cant give yourself true feedback on how your doing things...if your posing isnt right then your not going to be showing off all your hard work as best as possible...

So I would really try and get someone in the know to look how your going each week (this may not cost anything) and also try and get someone to run through poses with you at some point...again this may not cost you a thing...

For me I would want to be totally prepared and confident when stepping on stage...if your not confident this will show and you will not perform aswell...

This is just my 2c...everyone has there diff ideas on the matter!

Good luck! :)

OK I have never competed but know many people who have, some have gone along some have had personal training on contest prep help throughout and others have had someone help out on a weekly of fortnightly basis.

The ones who went it alone did not perform as well on their first comps as the others who had some form of help.

At a minimum i would think you need someone to monitor your diet and progress as well as posing on a weekly or fortnightly basis, also someone who indipendant and will give some honest feedback.

There is no point surrounding yourself with people who keep pumping up your tyres say how awesome you are progressing leading into a show, you need someone who will give honest feedback so you know exactly what you need to work on.

Then once you had competed once or twice you can start doing more yourself as you have built that experience and know what it is about and expected of you and how your progressing.

Just my take, best of luck...

Thanks everyone :) Very helpful.

jchen - I want this badly!

deep - I'm in Brisbane.

I've ended up securing sponsorship with a supplement store local to my work so I'm happy with that. I also feel it wants to make me work harder because of it! I'm starting to research diet etc so I hope I will have it right, but as Rambo said the only way to learn is to do it!

I will see if I can find some sort of diet help.

I'm getting excited now!

Last edited:
Thanks everyone :) Very helpful.

jchen - I want this badly!

deep - I'm in Brisbane.

I've ended up securing sponsorship with a supplement store local to my work so I'm happy with that. I also feel it wants to make me work harder because of it! I'm starting to research diet etc so I hope I will have it right, but as Rambo said the only way to learn is to do it!

I will see if I can find some sort of diet help.

I'm getting excited now!
I have a sample diet that my girlfriends use, if you would like to see it anytime I can email, just needs macro adjustment:)
It will give you an idea anyhow....

I have a sample diet that my girlfriends use, if you would like to see it anytime I can email, just needs macro adjustment:)
It will give you an idea anyhow....

That would be fantastic! Any help/ideas I can get is great. I will PM you my email :)

I don't have enough posts to PM yet :( If you could email it to tina_m at live dot come dot au that would be helpful :)