• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Question on Chest

im sorry for asking a stupid question... As im only new to this, and after hearing things like inner, outer, upper and lower pec, i only assumed that this was the case.... Had i known that this was ignorant and that i had been hearing wrong info for those periods, i would not have asked such a question...

My bad, ill just use what little enthusiasm i have left after being totally pulled apart by someone who is in the know, telling me how dumb i must clearly be for asking a question i should clearly have know better about...

labz some of the guys come across hard and blunt but most mean well. Just dont take it to heart. Ive met some in real life and they are top blokes :)

This discussion about if their are any differences in the way to work a muscle doesn't mean nothing if your not in the gym in the first place like 90% of the population. :)

i get that, and understand that it came across probably not how it was intended... but to have this said is pretty un-reasonable.

"The level of ignorance in ths thread is stunning, Oliver and Andy aside.

To the guy who proudly announced this thread as his own, can you please produce an anatomy chart that shows upper pec, lower pec, inner pec, outer pec or any other fucking pec you can think of

Read the article below, even though the author use many exercises, including incline and dips, not once does he mention upper or lower pecs.

How can this be?

Because they dont fucking exist."

some of us are new to this, and dont have all the answers, some of us have only been doing this for a little while, so yes, we may have some dumb questions, but cast your mind back to when you had no real idea, and tell me you didnt ask the same questions?

maybe just remember not all of us have the answers or have been doing this all our lives, or do it for work, im in a gym for 3 hrs a week... thats all...

Because not everyone's willing to listen and learn like you are. They're too tied down with bro science and dogma thinking that a piece of musculature that makes up maybe 3% of the bodies overal mass requires 5-6 difference exercises.

If Markos didn't cut in we'd just have to listen to more rants about how cousin ben who can bench 200 brought up his chest with decline flies, and because that's a much easier solution than putting 40kg on their bench and eating you can bet 4-5 members will do it and piss their time and money into the wind.

Okay Einstein.

You cant isolate "parts" of a muscle and change their shape.....only God can

I specifically said you cant isolate one part of the muscle.. what I said was that using different exercises you can provide more stimulation to a part of the muscle for example the upper chest can be stimulated using wide reverse grip bench or inclines more so than in other exercises such as flat bench. There are studies for this.

Yes genetics has alot to do with it and possibly play a bigger role than exercise selection. I dont know if concentration curls work the peak more, I havent seen any studies that show it.

Does any of this matter to most of you guys who train deadlift squat and bench? No. Is it going to make you stronger in any way? Most likely no. But from a bodybuilding perspective symmetry and full, even muscular development is important, even for those who lift more for aesthetic reasons.

I just love it how you have a closed mind and how its your way or the highway. Typical Guru attitude. Is arnold and 99% of bodybuilders both natural and those on performance enhancing drugs ass clowns for doing inclines?

yeah, fair enough... As said, it seemed a bit brutal at first read... But in the scheme of things, it probably needed to be said for those like me to learn more about it.

DO NOT SHOOT THE MESSENGER!
Im in the middle of an assignment, and come across this..... Yes Markos, I know you love text books :p.
This is out of my strength training and anatomy text book.

IMG_0273.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

IMG_0275.jpg

Markos is just crotchety cause he is old.

But he is also right, probably because he is old.

Love Arnies esteem issues where he has to always flex his right for photos.

whats the group of muscle below the chest, in that last image, the 4 muscles on the ribs? im so keen to develop some of them...

Thats what the picture is showing, but I'm honestly not sure how much and if there are better exercises.
I can tell you though, if your at 20% its not going to matter.

1) The pic shows the whole muscle belly being used in the flat bench press. Who would have thought?

2) The text book should be disregarded anyway as the person who designed it obviously thinks its okay to prop up your legs with a leg extension whilst benching

3) the decline is dangerous and shit for reasons already discussed.

Im not endorsing it, Markos just asked to show him.
Here you have a text book effectively saying that:
close grip hits your inner pec
incline hits the top
decline hit the bottom.

Isolating parts of a muscle.

This is what I believe most PT's would have read. I got it with my course.

Last edited:
1) The pic shows the whole muscle belly being used in the flat bench press. Who would have thought?

2) The text book should be disregarded anyway as the person who designed it obviously thinks its okay to prop up your legs with a leg extension whilst benching

3) the decline is dangerous and shit for reasons already discussed.

Maybe my monitor is wrong but to me it looks like it shows close grip bench works more inner (indicated by the red on the inner part), decline works more lower (again indicated by red on lower part), incline working more upper (again with the red)..

Also the guy is using the leg hold on the decline bench, maybe you can decline without it but i've never seen anyone decline bench without their legs in the leg ext thing.

The picture isnt accurate in terms of bar length as it doesnt have an inner knurl.

Look. The conventional barbell bench press will work the entire muscle belly enough for 95% of people, for the rest there's dips. Get your bench as high as you can, overhead, row and chin, pick your favourite tricep exercise and eat a lot and pretty much all of your problems will be solved.

If your 'upper pecs' are bigger thats an issue between you, your parents and your God and is pretty much irrelevant to most people who just wanna turn heads at the beach.

I agree with you 100%.
Im just putting out some information, because it does exist. Whether you, Markos, or even myself agree with it.