• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rack for new home gym (newbie)

Hi,

I'm considering setting myself up a home gym in my spare room, I definitely want a rack, barbell, weights, dumbbells, and i'm strongly considering a lat pulldown/low row combo as well.

I've got a roughly 3m x 3m room (there is a double door out the front so i do have some extra length available at about 1.2/1.3m wide in the middle), wooden floor - high ceiling, planning to put down 15mm rubber mats from gymdirect or similar (9 of them), plus an extra layer under the weights for deadlifts/dropping dumbbells .... will this be enough to protect the floor?

I'm not a power lifter, nor will i be doing olympic lifts, mainly squats, deadlifts, bench etc for strength and size. (my partial squats maxxed around 180 last time i was putting seriously time in a few months back, nothing huge), 100kg bench press.

My front running options presently are

Gymdirect.

Muscle motion commercial rack package
with thrust bearing oly barbell upgrade, extra weights to around 200kg
(rubber coated oly),dip attachment
Inclinable bench
40kg x2 adjustable rubber spinlock dumbells
22.5, 27.5, 32.5, 37.5 and 42.5 fixed rubber hex dumbbells

Would like leg ext/curl and preacher curl, but can make do with those on an old bench i think.

Seriously considering lat pulldown and low row (i low row the whole stack at my gym, so it's got to be semi decent, want to use for tricep pulldowns, face pulls, seated row, lat pulldowns, cable curls)

or Samsfitness

Powertec rack
Oly barbell + 200kg weights
Iron master bench (plus preacher and leg attachments)
iron master dumbells with upgrade kit (to 50kg each adjustable)
considering iron master or powertec lat attachments, but thinking stand along might suit me better.

I do like the muscle motion rack, would i be able to deadlift inside it though?, because space might be tight to deadlift out the front? ... or are the side supports too high?

I'm also going to grab myself a stationary bike for cardio, maybe a decline situp for another room, medicine ball, couple kettlebells.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated.

I've been thinking i don't need bumpers as i've no intention of doing cleans, will have rubber flooring and rarely if ever drop a deadlift (and its not like i deadlift super heavy), likewise, i'm thinking the couple hundred dollar bar from gymdirect will be good enough for my use.

Force USA Power Rack is a good option. Not the commercial, not the home. It is rated to something like (numbers might not be perfect) 1000lb on the rails, 800lb on the J-Hooks, and a crapload on the pulley tower (which is plate loaded and pretty smooth). I've used one, don't own one, but it is cheap and pretty solid. It'll fit in a 3x3 room as well as most of the racks - you can Deadlift inside it. It's around 2x2 square, so if you face it to the doors, you should have plenty of room to sit a bench in it.

Powertec all the way. My rack has taken a beating over the years and it's still going as strong today as the day I bought it.
There's no substitute for quality ;)