• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

recommendations/opinions on my macros

Kranky

Grandpa
would like some input on my macro goals that I am aiming to meet each day

I'm 92 kilo (guessing/estimating 26% bf) 5'10

Currently thinking after reading many posts here that I may be aiming too low

Its hard to say whether or not it good because regardless of what calculator you use, every body is different. I personally would spend 2 weeks tracking everything you normally eat and track your weight each day at the same time to establish maintenance, surplus, or deficit. It does seem a bit low but it should be a fairly big deficit at 92kg. How much training you do will play a big role also. remember eat maximum for maximum results.

Looks about right

thanks

Its hard to say whether or not it good because regardless of what calculator you use, every body is different. I personally would spend 2 weeks tracking everything you normally eat and track your weight each day at the same time to establish maintenance, surplus, or deficit. It does seem a bit low but it should be a fairly big deficit at 92kg. How much training you do will play a big role also. remember eat maximum for maximum results.

I see your point,I was probably more wondering about the macro makeup rather than the overall calorie figure

Protein is fine, fats could be lower and carbs could be higher, but thats my personal preference. Higher fat ratio diets seem to be a bit easier to adhere to.

2,000kcal a day might be a little low, it depends on your activity level.
10-12* your body weight in pounds is certainly a good starting point. You'll know pretty fast if it's too low or high. Make small adjustments, 250kcal a week.

Personally, I'd increase the protein significantly up to around 200g a day. Going on your 2,000kcal a day plan, this would give you 800kcal in protein. The remainder 1,200kcal I'd split evenly between fats and carbs, making 67g of fats and 150g of carbs.

Making shit simple, that's essentially a 360g chuck steak served up with 5 and a half, 5" sweet potatoes (750g) along with 4-5 protein shakes through the day
If you find yourself getting hungry, switch to a leaner cut of meat and simply drink less shakes. I went for chuck because of laziness more than anything

2,000kcal a day might be a little low, it depends on your activity level.
10-12* your body weight in pounds is certainly a good starting point. You'll know pretty fast if it's too low or high. Make small adjustments, 250kcal a week.

Personally, I'd increase the protein significantly up to around 200g a day. Going on your 2,000kcal a day plan, this would give you 800kcal in protein. The remainder 1,200kcal I'd split evenly between fats and carbs, making 67g of fats and 150g of carbs.

Making shit simple, that's essentially a 360g chuck steak served up with 5 and a half, 5" sweet potatoes (750g) along with 4-5 protein shakes through the day
If you find yourself getting hungry, switch to a leaner cut of meat and simply drink less shakes. I went for chuck because of laziness more than anything

200g protein recommended for optimal growth or personal preference?

Personally I would set up like this. I do also think 2000cal is probably a bit low for the same reasons.
If he is about 25% bf at 92kg that would be about 68kg of ffm.

150-160p aprox 2.3kg protein per kg ffm
60-65f .7g of fat per kg of current weight
210-215c remainder cal filled with carbs

It really does come down to personal preference. The best ratio is the one you can stick to long term. I would aim for about 500g fat loss a week. Thats 18 weeks to get to about 10% bf on your calculated bf of 23%

200g protein recommended for optimal growth or personal preference?

Personally I would set up like this. I do also think 2000cal is probably a bit low for the same reasons.
If he is about 25% bf at 92kg that would be about 68kg of ffm.

150-160p aprox 2.3kg protein per kg ffm
60-65f .7g of fat per kg of current weight
210-215c remainder cal filled with carbs

It really does come down to personal preference. The best ratio is the one you can stick to long term. I would aim for about 500g fat loss a week. Thats 18 weeks to get to about 10% bf on your calculated bf of 23%

I think 1.5g/lb of lean mass is about right. Plenty to hedge your bets with. Sure you can "get away" with less but as I've explained before I'd rather fill up on meat than any other food type. The dude has about 150lb of lean mass so my recommendation was on the low side of this, 225g would be better imo.

The rest was based on keeping hunger at bay. I find for a lot of people, lots of carbs causes insulin spikes and troughs which can cause more hunger. As it stand currently, 3/4 of a kilo of sweet potato is a lot of fucking sweet potato lol and should be plenty to keep hunger at bay. But as you said, it's personal preference and experimentation will be needed to get the right macro ratios to stay full

Protein Requirements for Strength and Power Athletes | BodyRecomposition - The Home of Lyle McDonald
Key points:

We don’t know how much protein is required to optimize all of the potential pathways important to athletes.
We know that a protein intake of 1.4 g/lb (3.0 g/kg) isn’t harmful and may have benefits that are too small to be measured in research
As long as eating lots of protein doesn’t keep an athlete from eating too few of the other nutrients (carbs/fats), there’s no reason to not eat a lot. And there may be benefits.

So here’s my recommendation, strength/power athletes should aim for 1.5 g/lb protein per day (again, this is about 3.3 g/kg for the metrically inclined). So for a 200 lb strength/power athlete, that’s 300 grams of protein per day. For a 300 lber, that’s 450 grams per day. If you’re Jeff Lewis, I imagine your protein requirements are basically ‘All of it’ or perhaps ‘A cow’. Per day.

so.....after reading and taking recommendations onboard I have changed goals
to below

opinions again on this please

Yeah I can't exactly find fault with that.
You just need to try it out now and see if it fills you up and keeps you energetic
Make sure you eat natural foods, they are far less calorie dense, you'll be able to eat more and they are generally better for your health

Yeah I can't exactly find fault with that.
You just need to try it out now and see if it fills you up and keeps you energetic
Make sure you eat natural foods, they are far less calorie dense, you'll be able to eat more and they are generally better for your health

thanks
I generally do eat natural foods,mostly just take a protein shake with me and some sort of sandwich,the sandwich I can toast when I get to my destination each day and then the shake I can have while travelling back.

Dinner is generally fish/chicken and veges/salad

I'd say 10 days should give you a pretty good idea of how its going to go.

@oni; Agreed. Personally I find high carb has a greater satiety, reducing my meal frequency down to 3 also really helped. Only time will tell I guess.

Yeah I always found carb fests stopped me from eating anything at all- until I started ketogenic dieting when they had the complete opposite effect lol

When I start bulking again, I'll have maybe 2 carb days a week, one cheat day and one clean day. Just enough to keep glycogen full. The other days will be an all out saturated fat fest on two days, with the rest being lean meats only. Maybe something like:

Monday: Low calorie keto
Tuesday: High calorie keto
Wednesday: Low calorie keto
Thursday: Medium calorie keto
Friday: High carb/low fat stew day
Saturday: low calorie keto
Sunday: cheat day

That or I'll just have the two carb days and wave keto calories based on energy levels at lunchtime

I get that you do all that for energy/hunger levels etc but wouldn't it just be easier to average total cals over a 7 day period with same results. Do you find that your energy levels and results are effected that greatly to warrant the mix up of cals per day.

I get that you do all that for energy/hunger levels etc but wouldn't it just be easier to average total cals over a 7 day period with same results. Do you find that your energy levels and results are effected that greatly to warrant the mix up of cals per day.

Wouldn't it be simpler to spread out your calories across the entire day instead of do intermittent fasting?
Waving calories has many benefits. I find it keeps my metabolic rate going strong, lowering calories will cause your metabolic rate to drop in the long term so you're essentially eating at a deficit one day and a surplus the next hopefully averaging a deficit if your goal is to lose weight. There are a number of studies that I spent all of 2 minutes trying to find that suggest following periods of undereating by overeating produced favourable body composition changes. I think it's in "The Warrior Diet" somewhere.

There is also a psychological aspect, dropping calories fucking sucks. 250 or 500 less a day makes no difference to me- I'm still fucking hungry. So I'd rather drop my calories on the low side for a day and then know the next day I get to eat a lot

Here's what I've always done, take it for what you will.
Some days I eat a lot, other days I eat a little and every now and then I don't eat anything.