• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

rep range & progression question

fqqs

if i'm doing for example 4 sets with same weight in 6-10 rep range and my routine says that I should increase weight slightly next workout once I hit upper rep range for all sets

and i did db bench press:

100x10
100x10
100x9
100x8 (last rep with a tad of partner assistance)

then i must wait till I hit 10,10,10,10 reps or can I increase weight only a little bit (smallest increment available) next workout?

to sum up: when my program says 4x6-10 with same weight - can I increase weights if i caompleted ALMOST all planned reps or should i wait until i finish all 10 reps in all 4 sets

or am I ovethinking it and it doesnt matter as long as I put a lot of effort into each set and go close to or to failure ?

This all depends, however, for myself I increase when one set reaches my target reps then drop the second set back till the second set reachesctargetted reps before increasing weight.

Does this make sense?

Fqqs, you're over thinking it!

In terms of waiting until you hit 10, 10, 10, 10 etc - this is a common prescription given to beginners (ie someone who has never trained before, the complete novice). It is a measure used so they don't progress too quickly or injure themselves.

As you start lifting heavier weights, you need to break barriers. You might struggle at a certain weight to get 4 sets of 10, so you can do things like overload (put on 5-10kg more, and do less reps) then go back to the original weight, and you may be able to push out 4 sets of 10 in subsequent sessions. Lifting heavier weights and doing only the negative can also help in this regard.

You will get benefits across all lifts too, some of them like shoulder press impact your flat and incline pressing. On the lifts you feel you can push a lot of weight, do so. I have noticed simply dead lifting / leg pressing / squatting heavier have aided lifts that don't relate at all.

if i'm doing for example 4 sets with same weight in 6-10 rep range and my routine says that I should increase weight slightly next workout once I hit upper rep range for all sets

and i did db bench press:

100x10
100x10
100x9
100x8 (last rep with a tad of partner assistance)

then i must wait till I hit 10,10,10,10 reps or can I increase weight only a little bit (smallest increment available) next workout?

to sum up: when my program says 4x6-10 with same weight - can I increase weights if i caompleted ALMOST all planned reps or should i wait until i finish all 10 reps in all 4 sets

or am I ovethinking it and it doesnt matter as long as I put a lot of effort into each set and go close to or to failure ?

This ^^^

I was doing 3 sets of 8 of a beginner type program. My goal was to increase weight whenever I hit all sets to 8. This was so when I increased the weight I wasnt struggling big time on the next weight increment, only pumping out 4 or 5 reps for example.

It just felt like a good marker for me to up the weight.

Fqqs, you're over thinking it!

In terms of waiting until you hit 10, 10, 10, 10 etc - this is a common prescription given to beginners (ie someone who has never trained before, the complete novice). It is a measure used so they don't progress too quickly or injure themselves.

As you start lifting heavier weights, you need to break barriers. You might struggle at a certain weight to get 4 sets of 10, so you can do things like overload (put on 5-10kg more, and do less reps) then go back to the original weight, and you may be able to push out 4 sets of 10 in subsequent sessions. Lifting heavier weights and doing only the negative can also help in this regard.

You will get benefits across all lifts too, some of them like shoulder press impact your flat and incline pressing. On the lifts you feel you can push a lot of weight, do so. I have noticed simply dead lifting / leg pressing / squatting heavier have aided lifts that don't relate at all.

so basically i shouldnt bother with this so much and I am gold as long as I lift heavier and heavier over long period of time. and it doesnt matter when i up the weight as long as i stay in good rep range, yes?

so basically i shouldnt bother with this so much and I am gold as long as I lift heavier and heavier over long period of time. and it doesnt matter when i up the weight as long as i stay in good rep range, yes?

Pretty much mate

I try to use a weight that allows me to stay within a targeted rep RANGE; so say I am doing 6-8 reps, as long as I am getting at least 5-6 reps in my last set I will up the weight etc.

It's not as technical as it sounds because some days you will smash heavy weight and others you will get in there and think how the fuck did i do that shit last time LOL. So use reps as a guide not a rule.

Ill do as you suggested, ill up weights when i hit upper rep range in all sets or almost all. either going to failure in last two or in none of them.

but it should not mean i wont lift with great effort in each set, yeah? for example in first two sets i can do slower negatives and "more clean" reps than in last sets. you know what i mean? or is it bad idea?

and another question - is it acceptable to take longer rests between sets as i move to further sets? for example when im fresh 2 minutes between sets in db press suffice. but after a couple of sets i feel like i need to take more time, even up to 3-4 minutes. is that ok or should my rest between sets stay fixed?

and for your info, my routine is:

MONDAY: Squats 5x5-10
Leg Extensions: 3x15
Leg Curls 3x6-10
Stiff leg Deads 4x10

TUESDAY: Incline DB Press 4x6-10
Weighted Dips 4x6-10
Cambered bar Skullcrushers 4x6-10

THURSDAY: Weighted Chins 3x4-6
BB Rows 3x6-8
Deadlifts 3x8-10
Cable rows 3x10-12
BB Curl 4x8-12

FRIDAY: Seated BB Press 3x6
Seated DB Press 2x8-10
Standing Calf Raise 4x10

Stick with the program you posted in that other thread....the one I made the changes to...

Its not rocket science mate...just go in there and fuck things up!