• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Rest between Sets

It makes sense to me that I add a clock on my wall now so I can be more precise with my training. I think this is a good way to keep yourself in check, and also allows another real terms measurable way of progression when you just cant add weight.
Helped heaps, thanks Fadi
Graeme
Well done Graeme. Come to think of it, by doing what you and I have chosen to do with our wall clock, we can actually tell if we're recovering properly or not based on the time factor. In other words, you may feel that you need an extra 10 seconds or so to complete a set that you've completed with 10 seconds less on the previous week. This (recorded) information would point out to you that may be a closer look at your carb intake (for example) or sleeping pattern (or whatever the case maybe) could need some adjustment.

So basically, it's another record that when looked back at, would/could possibly help you adjust and tweak whatever is needed to get a more desirable result from your workout.

A one off drop in energy etc. is not what we're talking about here, but rather when one constantly fails to achieve today what he consistently achieved on a previous occasion, is a marker, a sign for close scrutiny on one's part.

All power to you Graeme and take care now.

Fadi.

Last edited:
I'm one of those who time myself between sets, just using stopwatch function on wrist watch. My driver to do this was to make sure I wasn't bludging between sets, to keep the 'pressure' on the muscle group being worked on. It's usually 90 seconds (at my age, it seems a good figure) but if I think I need more, I'll take more - especially with exercises like deadlift or squats etc. Might have less rest if I am trying to shock a muscle group or if I'm trying something in terms of weight/rep ratios.

I probably take too long rests, but I just rest as long as I need to to get the set out. For a new PB, sometimes it takes a while to psych yourself up. I'd rather that, than risk injury from rushing a set.

I think there is some merit to keeping recovery times constant, but I think I would fail far more often which would be highly demotivating.

I probably take too long rests, but I just rest as long as I need to to get the set out. For a new PB, sometimes it takes a while to psych yourself up. I'd rather that, than risk injury from rushing a set.

I think there is some merit to keeping recovery times constant, but I think I would fail far more often which would be highly demotivating.

but I just rest as long as I need to to get the set out.

This is a very important statement.