• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

rest period between sets

tasgymbrah

Hey,
I was just wondering if any one can offer their opinion on what is the optimal time to rest between sets of squats, bench press, and deadlifts.

Do you use shorter rest periods for accessory exercises such as bicep curls, skull crushers, flyes, etc?

thanks

Take resting heart rate just before you start training
After you finish a set, wait until heart rate is within 5BPM of your resting heart rate and then do another set

It will depend so much between exercises and fitness levels that it's impossible to give any better recommendation. I know people that wait 60sec between sets and 10m between sets

Take resting heart rate just before you start training
After you finish a set, wait until heart rate is within 5BPM of your resting heart rate and then do another set

It will depend so much between exercises and fitness levels that it's impossible to give any better recommendation. I know people that wait 60sec between sets and 10m between sets
I've never measured my heart rate to organise rest between strength exercises, but I do wait until my heart rate's fairly calm (maybe not within 5BPM of resting, but definitely under 100BPM) before the next set when doing strength training. Seems to be a good guage.

Yeah I don't actually measure it, I go by feel as well. It's something most people are aware of
There was some Russian text (I think it was Verkoshansky or Roman) that stated this method so it's what I tell people

BTW measuring your HR take 15 seconds... just count heart beats for 15 seconds then multiply by 4 and you have your HR

I actually do something along the lines of what Oni does on heavy sets, I wait till my heart rate has lowered a little. Just a quick 5sec pulse check helps me gauge when I've recovered. On lighter sets I give myself a minute or 2 tops...

An 8 minute rest between sets? How long are your sessions ?

When I'm doing 5x5 plus assistance it takes well over an hour.
When I'm doing less volume heavier reps plus assistance about one hour.
Rest between assistance exercises only a few minutes.

10-20mins at the latter end of my programming.

5-7mins in my 5x5.

Rest as long as you need to make the next set.

1 minuite is tops for me - especally when doing 3X10 squats, bench, MP and curls in 40min to be able to be back at work

I find about 4 mins seems to be the go for my top working sets on squats & deadlifts.

Much shorter for assistance. Sometimes SS antagonistic movements with no rest.

My HR would never really drop back to resting level though as I can't just sit around doing nothing during rest breaks. I normally kick the heavy bag for 30 seconds or so and then pace around and do some mobility stuff.