• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

rusty metal shit

Headley

BigRed Kunce
Hey guys,

I been thinking of expanding my list of hobbies (from just 1) to include some fabrication. My idea was to head on over to the local Scrap Metal dump and have a look around for some decent/appropriate bits of metal i can salvage to turn into various things like a squat rack, bench, t-bar rower etc.

Might have a look around this weekend but will be calling my local tafe to do a short course in welding and oxy cutting.

Then i will need to buy a cheap welder, drop saw and a grinder...

Last edited:
an arc is the cheapest and easiest welder to pick and the easiest type of welding to do

while your buying a welder get yourself an angle grinder too , so when you stuff up the welds you can grind them back and start again

I reckon mig is the easiest to use but then you either need gas or gasless wire. Arc is definitely the simplest though

Yeah dont need anything fancy at all, a cheap arc welder would be fine. That and a pick. And a grinder.

Gonna check out a scrap metal merchant after work, they are just around the corner too

Points for initiative m8 ... last thing I tried to make with my hands (other than self pleasure) was a tool box in metal-work 2nd form...

Thing was phucked up man. Couldn't barely close the lid on it lol...

Well the last thing i made was a lawn mower trailer for my parents (they do a lot of landscaping). 20 years later its still going strong.

Nice! Post up some progress pics. Well if the trailer is still going strong you must have a few trade skills! You can pick up some pretty cheap arc welders which would do the job. Or depends on how much you want to spend maybe a gasless mig for around $800.
I know in Bris you can do a day course in which it will cover the type of welding you wish to learn. You probably wont need to do a great deal of oxy cutting...a good quality 5" grinder with the 1mm thickness cutting discs cuts like cutting through butter

I plan on starting the build of my own power rack and adjustable bench in the coming weeks.

Cheers

Buy a cheap cut off saw, the secret to good welding is tight fabrication. The neater the joints the easier they are to weld. Trying to cut nice mitres or butt joins with a grinder is a terrible idea.

Gasless mig is much easier to use then arc, worth the extra dollars. Also nothing ever really goes wrong with basic welders so buy a decent one second hand. Kempi, wia would be two brands I'd look out for

Then i will need to buy a cheap welder, drop saw and a grinder...

Get a little horizontal metal band saw. They are about the same price. The friction saw is loud and disk particles go everywhere. They also leave a magnificent bur that makes a safety razor look like a dull cutting implement. I was in the shed one night cursing the kids for spilling paint on the floor before thinking what would they be doing in here? Then you start looking for where the blood is coming from. You learn to knock every bur off the cut with a file pretty quick.

Cut off saw would be good but they are bloody loud, might need to speak to the flatmates first about getting one. We also have a small shed in the backyard I may be able to do that up I reckon into a small workshop, and weld on the grass outside or something

I would love a motorised hack saw for straight and maitre cuts, might see what bunnings offer

It's cool, i have a helper to bring me drinks
otisready_2005-09-03.jpg

Im not a big fan of the friction cut off saws. The blades are about 3 to 4mm thick and they don't cut that accurate as the blade can tend to flex.
If you can mark out your cuts and angles accurately a 5 inch will do the job....but I guess it depends on how much fab work you plan to do in the future.

You mentioned building a power rack.... A lot of holes to drill about 25mm diameter for the J-hooks etc. An electric hand drill will be a tough on the wrists so maybe a pedastal drill or hire a magnetic drill for the day when u get to this stage of your project.
Cheers

Cut off saw would be good but they are bloody loud, might need to speak to the flatmates first about getting one. We also have a small shed in the backyard I may be able to do that up I reckon into a small workshop, and weld on the grass outside or something

I would love a motorised hack saw for straight and maitre cuts, might see what bunnings offer