• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Set back :( stupid back.

pumpiniron

I wasnt feeling very motivated to train after a long day at work, but i forced myself to the gym anyway. i was trying a deadlift 1 rep max (170kg) and my form got a bit sloppy, then i felt a sharp pain just above my tailbone. The next day i woke up hell sore so i iced it 3 times a day and took 1 week off the gym. The pain was gone so i went back to the gym and did a light workout, then the next day i woke up and it was even worse then when i first injured it, so i saw a chiropracter and she reckoned ive done a disc :(.

I wasnt feeling very motivated to train after a long day at work, but i forced myself to the gym anyway. i was trying a deadlift 1 rep max (170kg) and my form got a bit sloppy, then i felt a sharp pain just above my tailbone. The next day i woke up hell sore so i iced it 3 times a day and took 1 week off the gym. The pain was gone so i went back to the gym and did a light workout, then the next day i woke up and it was even worse then when i first injured it, so i saw a chiropracter and she reckoned ive done a disc :(.

go see a doctor, get xrays, and ct scan. and look after it. I have a few buklging disks at the moment , pain is chronic, and movements are limited, its been 2-3 months.:(

I feel your pain with lower back injuries...been suffering from them for about 6-7 years now!

When my back would go I to would feel a very sudden sharp pain just above my tailbone...I have had xrays etc etc...and all they can put it down to is tight muscles....so all I could do is stretch....

After injuring it about 3-4 times in 4 years and then in 2010 injuring it about 3-4 times just in that year...was focusing alot more on powerlifting during this time (2009/2010)...and injuring it to the point on a few occasions where I could not WALK! - I thought bugger this...i'll look after my lower back, but cut out all exercises that may cause me to re-injure it....It has been over a year now and even tho sometimes I might get abit of pain in my back, or tightness I have not injured it again...

For me doing deadlifts, squats, leg press, etc etc just isnt worth it...you can get the same results by doing other exercises (unless your focus is powerlifting)....over the last 14 months I have had the best results of my life, without doing those exercises....so see what the doc etc suggests...really weigh up the pros and cons of doing squats, deads etc....by all means get back to 100% and do them if its really part of your lifting goals...but if your lifting for health and to look abit better...I honestly wouldnt do them if its going to cause you dramas with your back...training should be fun...not something you need to worry about...

Sorry for the rant!!!!

I do mean that in the nicest way and I'm not calling you stupid, we just need to look after our backs.

I hate hearing or reading about people injuring themselves while working out.

Shit man, that sux bigtime. :mad:

Well, the only thing for it is rest and recuperation mate, don't over do it and start with light weight after about 2 weeks I'd suggest.

Remember, 2 weeks feels like ages, but in the grand scheme its nothing.

G

Best of luck healing mate. Avoid anything that may trigger it for a few weeks. I did exactly the same a few months ago doing deads, then thought the next week I was fine and did it again. Rest up, evaluate what happened and more importantly why.

Thanx for the advice guys, i will take more time off and do the stretches my chiropracter told me to do and keep icing it everyday.
When i do get back to deadlifts and squats i will make sure my form is perfect, along with doing more reps with less weight.

No good dude to hear.I get lower back pain aswell,so i only limit the exercises that make my lower back sore.When i starts to hurt i still lift and lift heavy but i try to keep the form correct,have a good rest and rest up a couple of days and the back into it.

I wouldn't settle on the diagnosis of an initial visit to a chiropractor. Proper diagnosis of a slipped disc requires a scan.

I suffered a deadlifting injury in 2009 and visited 2 physios who diagnosed it as a slipped disc. I don't blame them for the diagnosis necessarily as I did present with many of the symptoms, but in the end they were wrong. I did all the standard exercises (Mackenzie stretches etc), but it didn't help.

Anti-inflams and ice completely fixed the problem in the short term and I was able to get off the meds within a few days - there is no way you could recover that fast from a disc injury.

But I was treated as if it was a disc injury and I reinjured it.

Third physio actually knew what he was talking about and sent me straight for MRI. No disc bulge at all. The problem was actually a facet joint sprain and lower back muscle strain. This is the opposition problem to a slipped/torn disc in that extension aggravates a facet joint and flexion relieves it. The Mackenzie stretches you would use for a slipped disc made it worse. The radiculopathy was actually due to piriformis syndrome - i could completely get rid of the butt and lower leg pain on the LHS simply by doing a stretch. If the pain was due to irritation of the nerve roots at the lumbar spine, then stretches would do nothing.

What has prevented me from reinjuring it was a ground-up rehab program designed to bring up to par (1) my completely dormant and weak glutes; (2) deep external rotator activation exercises designed to reduce dominance of piriformis muscle (which when it becomes overactive causes me shooting pain down my leg); and (3) transverse abdominus/core exercises (dead bugs, bird dogs, ab wheel rollouts).

The lesson out of all of this is that proper treatment requires proper diagnosis. GPs, osteos, chiros, physios it doesn't matter who - many fail to do this and rely on experience of what people usually present with. They are often dealing with weak sedentary people who injure themselves gardening, or at work. They hear 170kg deadlift and assume the worst. However, diagnosis should be evidence based. In my case, had they done a scan at first instance, disc injury could have been easily ruled out.

I got ct scans, no evidence of disc herniation or spinal canal narrowing, no bony abnormality identified. The doctor said its torn ligaments, so i asked if there was anything to speed up recovery and he said it should heal itself in about 2 months but i could see a physio if i wanted, altho he said rest, ice and time is all that is needed. Thoughts?

Im into my third week of recovery after having a prolapsed disc caused at the gym, no work, no exercise, 4 days in hospital and pain like Ive never have before.
Ive only just started to be able to walk again and still have at least 3 weeks off work according to my doctor.
Like everyone thats had the same injury I am going to have to change my gym sessions to get the same results using different exercises because theres no way I want to go through this again. Best of luck to everyone thats had a chronic back injury, listen to your doctor and above all be patient.

I got ct scans, no evidence of disc herniation or spinal canal narrowing, no bony abnormality identified. The doctor said its torn ligaments, so i asked if there was anything to speed up recovery and he said it should heal itself in about 2 months but i could see a physio if i wanted, altho he said rest, ice and time is all that is needed. Thoughts?

Short of having an MRI listen to your doctor, see a good physio and be patient

As far as disc injuries to the spine, Xrays show very little in the way of detail. CT scans show a fair bit more, while MRI's are the king of detail.

Unfortunately, since Xrays are the cheapest on the public health system, that's what we get sent for.

In all honesty, if any of you guys suffer a back injury that's causing significant discomfort, don't waste time with xrays. Ask for a referral for an MRI, pay the extra and know that what ever they find will be the most accurate answer you can hope for. It will then place you in an excellent situation to get advice on the best remedy.

If you've read my training diary, you'll see I've had more than my fair share of disc injuries, only fixed by surgery. In many cases, that is one fucked up road to travel and something quite easily avoided with a bit of due care. I can assure you, 2 months of no gym training sure beats 1.5years of hardly being able to get out of bed.

Please take care of your backs. They are never the same once injured. Never. Ever.

As far as disc injuries to the spine, Xrays show very little in the way of detail. CT scans show a fair bit more, while MRI's are the king of detail.

Unfortunately, since Xrays are the cheapest on the public health system, that's what we get sent for.

In all honesty, if any of you guys suffer a back injury that's causing significant discomfort, don't waste time with xrays. Ask for a referral for an MRI, pay the extra and know that what ever they find will be the most accurate answer you can hope for. It will then place you in an excellent situation to get advice on the best remedy.

If you've read my training diary, you'll see I've had more than my fair share of disc injuries, only fixed by surgery. In many cases, that is one fucked up road to travel and something quite easily avoided with a bit of due care. I can assure you, 2 months of no gym training sure beats 1.5years of hardly being able to get out of bed.

Please take care of your backs. They are never the same once injured. Never. Ever.

Agree 100%.

I fucked my back bad enough that I couldn't get out of bed but after finding exercises that helped it my back is stronger now than ever.