• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sharp Groin pain while squatting.

SWH

I've been getting pains while squatting around the groin area, all around, when i drop down into the whole, i sometimes get a sharp pain right in my leg just above my quad and around the groin area. I'm pretty sure the other day I strained it or something getting out of the car and since then i've been having troubles squatting. Is this a mobility issue or something that can be fixed? all feedback appreciated

When this happened to me very recently i'm pretty sure it was a strained adductor, treatment is to lay off it for a couple weeks and then gently stretch and ramp back up.... Although i'm no expert.

I think mine is pretty much completely healed now, it took a good few weeks to settle properly.

Check hips and glutes Sam...

A physio would be able to identify your problem areas pretty quickly... I had identical pain from what I thought was my right adductor...

Physio found problem in my glutes and hips... Mobility to these areas solved the issue...

I think this pattern of "I lifted heavy / tried a brand-new exercise" followed a day or so later by "I strained a muscle doing something totally innocuous" might be fairly common.

My physio talked of a "grade 1 tear" or something like that: a small tear that doesn't even register with you at the time, but sets you up for something more serious when you stretch it later on, eg getting out of the car or pulling on a jumper (when you're cold, I guess)

Your physio would be your best bet for advice. Mine often prescribes stretches or massage; sometimes high-rep, very light weights

I think this pattern of "I lifted heavy / tried a brand-new exercise" followed a day or so later by "I strained a muscle doing something totally innocuous" might be fairly common.

My physio talked of a "grade 1 tear" or something like that: a small tear that doesn't even register with you at the time, but sets you up for something more serious when you stretch it later on, eg getting out of the car or pulling on a jumper (when you're cold, I guess)

Your physio would be your best bet for advice. Mine often prescribes stretches or massage; sometimes high-rep, very light weights

This. Plus rest for a week or so. Everyone does it. Did you widen your stance at all lately?

Nazzy pointed out issues that you may have that may contribute to the issue.

This. Plus rest for a week or so. Everyone does it. Did you widen your stance at all lately?

Nazzy pointed out issues that you may have that may contribute to the issue.

Yeah might take a week next week i think i'm due. I actually narrowed down my stance about a month ago actually to hit full depth. That was fine but I might of accidently started lingering wider and wider.

Did you widen your stance at all lately?

out of interest, what's the issue with going wider? my ankles, hams and hips are all relatively in-flexible so without width i have very poor depth.

i have ongoing issues with SI joints and hip/groin pain and i know that without loosening up properly before a gym session that i'm just asking for trouble. for me that means a short, brisk walk or run followed by stretching calves, quads, hams and groin followed by a few physio exercises to get my SI-joint in the "right" spot then a few sets of bar-only squats.

not sure if this actually helps directly in terms of injury prevention, but without it my form is definitely poorer for the first few reps under weight. my ankles in particular prevent me from getting any sort of real depth without my lower back falling apart.

out of interest, what's the issue with going wider? my ankles, hams and hips are all relatively in-flexible so without width i have very poor depth.

i have ongoing issues with SI joints and hip/groin pain and i know that without loosening up properly before a gym session that i'm just asking for trouble. for me that means a short, brisk walk or run followed by stretching calves, quads, hams and groin followed by a few physio exercises to get my SI-joint in the "right" spot then a few sets of bar-only squats.

not sure if this actually helps directly in terms of injury prevention, but without it my form is definitely poorer for the first few reps under weight. my ankles in particular prevent me from getting any sort of real depth without my lower back falling apart.

When you start out with a wide stance you can get some sore adductors due to the extra work whilst under more of a stretch. When I went wider I had some soreness getting in and out of the car etc for a few weeks. Now I am more than used to it.

If you need to go wide due to your issues then go for it, just be sure it is not hampering your pelvis issues. If you are working on your hips and ankles a lot you will hopefully find less issues occurring.

Bit left of field, but it could also be a pubic symphsis missalignment issue that is causing your problem. Nothing serious, but it might cause you to stress one leg adductors slighty more then the other when squatting. Sometimes itll "pop" back into alignment by itself, like when you try use the inside of your foot to kick a heavy object (like a box filled with books or something) and you feel that weird crack from your groin...

Last edited:
To be honest its not really a groin issue, it still lingers but its manageable now. Its more like the very top of the quad muscle just before the hip bone

like aiis (anterior inferior iliac spine) area?
Any discomfort on adduction or resisted adduction on the sore side? Any pain/discomfort on hip flexion at all?

like aiis (anterior inferior iliac spine) area?
Any discomfort on adduction or resisted adduction on the sore side? Any pain/discomfort on hip flexion at all?

no pain on hip flexion but yeah i get pain when flexing the quad muscle and resisted adduction as you said.

Sounds like you could have strained one of you short adductors.
How long have you had it and Do you think its getting any better on is own or has it gotten to a point where its manageable but not really getting back to where it was?

Sounds like you could have strained one of you short adductors.
How long have you had it and Do you think its getting any better on is own or has it gotten to a point where its manageable but not really getting back to where it was?

Well its bad at some times and sometimes its alrigjt. It hasnt changed heps to be honest

If its preventing you from training at full capacity, maybe rest it for a while and/or go and see someone about it.

Its definately an adductor. I'll train through it for now but if not i'll see somebody

To me it sounds like the rectus femoris tendon.

This is such a common squatting injury. It is basically caused by relaxing the hammies and allowing the knees to dip forward at the bottom of the squat to squat deeper. When this happens the rec fem (which cross the hip joint and knee) stretches suddenyl tugs hard on the tendon at the hip. It becomes very inflamed and this particular tendon can take 4-6 weeks for the pain to subside.

The solution is ensure that once knee position is established in the top part of the squat motion, they don't move at all. To achieve this, you have to learn how to sit back more in the squat. This places more emphasis on the hamstrings.

Same injury...bloody annoying

Hey
There just experienced a similar issue. Left adductor near insertion point in the groin is sensitive when I hit squat depth or during pull on the deadlift.

Thankfully I managed to get to my PB's on Wendler 5/3/1 but looking to rehab for a month now.

For anyone in Perth I would recommend Kym or Sean at Floreat physio..excellent bunch.

Thomo