• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

[Article] Shoulder Health

Nowhere on here has anyone mentioned a strict press.
I did...

Thing is though who presses more overhead then on flatbench? pretty much noone, so isn't it logical that of course bench press is going to attribute more to shoulder injury simply because you're using a lot more weight then you'll ever press overhead?

Markos your posts just reaffirm what I was saying.. if people overhead pressed what they flat benched then maybe that would result in shoulder problems commonly only associated as a result from bench pressing.

The only real way to know, is to take someone who has never done any pressing, and have them only do overhead pressing, and see if they develop shoulder problems.

All forms of pressing need to be done you morons

That is the message, nothing magical for fuck sake.

I did...

Markos your posts just reaffirm what I was saying.. if people overhead pressed what they flat benched then maybe that would result in shoulder problems commonly only associated as a result from bench pressing.

The only real way to know, is to take someone who has never done any pressing, and have them only do overhead pressing, and see if they develop shoulder problems.

The big difference is in the bench your scapulars are trapped on the bench and can't move like they need to. With overhead (strict if you want) they are able to move freely and do the job they are supposed to. That is why there are more bench injuries than overhead.

I can strict press 95kg and push press 135kg had no issues, but benching 130kg raw and 150kg shirted wrecked my shoulders. Scapular movement is the difference.

The big difference is in the bench your scapulars are trapped on the bench and can't move like they need to. With overhead (strict if you want) they are able to move freely and do the job they are supposed to. That is why there are more bench injuries than overhead.

I can strict press 95kg and push press 135kg had no issues, but benching 130kg raw and 150kg shirted wrecked my shoulders. Scapular movement is the difference.

Yes I have said that here and probably no one understood the statement because most have theirs heads firmly inserted up their arses, but scapula movement is not the difference between a healthy shoulder and a fucked shoulder.

Fuck shoulders...

HARDEN UP

But seriously i believe if you balance row and mp press with bench and not become so fitness first bench warrier then you should have a better chance.. Its all about balance and common sense.

The shoulder is the most fucked up joint in the body. Why on earth would the creator of the human body make a joint that can rotate so much, that is so heavily relied upon by other ligaments and muscles in the upper body and then be relied upon to withstand so much pressure. Pretty silly if you ask me! :)

Why on earth would the creator of the human body make a joint that can rotate so much, that is so heavily relied upon by other ligaments and muscles in the upper body and then be relied upon to withstand so much pressure. Pretty silly if you ask me! :)
Interesting point.
I would say the shoulder wasn't designed/evolved to withstand much pressure (from overhead i mean). I can understand pulling something (a log or carcass), picking something off the ground (a rock or something), pushing something (get something out of the way, fighting someone), squatting (carrying something)...but why would a human need to push something overhead?? In modern times maybe, with the invention of second story housing/roofing.
Maybe its not a natural movement?
Anyone have any examples?? Im happy to be proven wrong. Just throwing ideas around.

Building a cabin?
Pulling from overhead makes more sense (climbing trees)
I think vertical pushing would be the least commonly performed of the primal patterns

Have some imagination, people!

Lifting a big arse rock up to smash some guy on the ground.

Lifting some guy overhead then throwing him over a cliff.

Lifting your kids up for the cavemissus on the treehouse or higher up cave to get them to safety.

Same as above but substitute kids with food.

Push-pressing someone onto your shoulders so he/she can pick higher hanging fruits off the tree.

I think vertical pushing would be the least commonly performed of the primal patterns

simba1.jpg

on a serious note, pushing is a very important step for infants learning up to crawl and stand upright. I am currently watching my little one, who is on the verge of crawling. It's pretty fascinating watching the little drills that are programmed into them to teach them the necessary motor patterns to crawl.

He started off with superman type positions while on his stomach. Then he was able roll over. Then he progressed to propping himself up on his elbows. He then got enough strength to press up on his hands with his chest high - a bit like the cobra yoga pose.

Now he has figured out that if gets up on his hands and rocks back with his hips he can crawl backwards and he can get around pretty quickly like this. He is also practising rocking back on his hips while he's being held. Apparently once they've got comfortable doing this, they're about to start crawling. He can even press himself to a full bridge on his tippy toes with his arms outstretched overhead and shoulder blades upwardly rotated, like he's about to stand up. All of this involves similar mechanics as an overhead press.

Amazing how 'natural' babies look doing a lot of movements. Obviously the motor patterns arent quite all there but I've never seen an infant use spinal flexion to pick something up - they always squat down

Amazing how 'natural' babies look doing a lot of movements. Obviously the motor patterns arent quite all there but I've never seen an infant use spinal flexion to pick something up - they always squat down

So true. My little girl has great squat technique. Never taught just starts like that. I just need to make sure it stays like that;)

My shoulders never hurt after shoulder press but that hurt sometimes during/after bench.
My way of thinking is if you want a strong/healthy back, do deads/rows, a strong/healthy legs squat, don't avoid exercises that build these areas.
I've been lucky to never have an injury though.

Youre not lifting heavy enough! haha

The following is not a personal attack on anybody, just an observation. No offence intended

It's amazing how many guys on here stress about injuries, or are in fact injured at the moment. I have been training weights since my teens, a few years mens health style, but lifting nonetheless. Yes I have had days where I have felt stiff or sore, or something has been sore for a week or two. But I have never had a serious injury caused directly by lifting weights.

I have always done bench and mp no matter what program I have been using. My left shoulder has been dislocated over a dozen times at footy, and my right 4 times. I have some funky shit going on in my left shoulder all day, it sounds like bubble wrap every time i move,yet I still get under the bar and do one of the presses every couple of days.

Stop worrying about injuries while sitting at your computer and just lift ffs.