• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Skipping breakfast may actually be good for you

No matter what you eat a meal your body is going to store some as fat to use it up later.

Just because some gets stored as fat after a meal doesn't mean it can't be broken down for energy later. In fact storing energy as fat then breaking it down isn't 100% efficient and results in some energy loss.

Insulin spikes. Unless you are do diabetic you won't have a problem with that. Your body regulates blood sugar in a fairly narrow range. If you are getting huge swings in blood sugar causing highs and crashes go see a doctor.

I agree that the human body is incredibly efficient in storing fat but it does matter what you eat and insulin just corresponds to that as it responds in a bigger way to processed calories or those high in sugar than it does to the same calories from whole foods which are more resistant to digestion than processed foods .

Insulin spikes are very important to factor into what type of calories are eaten as there are many many skinny people who are pre diabetic or diabetic and have obesity type illnesses . Which means that calories are not equal .

Personally Im not having spikes or crashes but have seen good results from cleaning up my diet without having to change too much :) .

If anyone actually does research, the reoccurring theme is that one size does not fit all. Some people lose more fat cutting back their calories at night, some lose more when skipping breakfast and intermittent fasting. Some people perform better with small frequent meals and some people prefer fewer larger meals a day. Find what works for you.

Why So Many Diets Fail - BodySmart - A beautiful figure is not strictly a matter of fitness

Myth number 2 in the link is worded better than I could explain .

I agree that the human body is incredibly efficient in storing fat but it does matter what you eat and insulin just corresponds to that as it responds in a bigger way to processed calories or those high in sugar than it does to the same calories from whole foods which are more resistant to digestion than processed foods .

Insulin spikes are very important to factor into what type of calories are eaten as there are many many skinny people who are pre diabetic or diabetic and have obesity type illnesses . Which means that calories are not equal .

Personally Im not having spikes or crashes but have seen good results from cleaning up my diet without having to change too much :) .

Wrong again.

If you have found a way to get more calories out of food than is actually in there document it and claim your Nobel prize.

Sorry Bazza20 but I just dont understand your hostility on the subject.

There has been a lot of research on how calories arent equal by many different sources . None of it has anything to do with me but I do tip my hat to those who have .

The link posted by steveP says it all . There is a definite and measurable difference in the way High Glycemic Index Foods interact with the body compared with Low Glycemic Index foods of the same calorie value.

I've found that I stay full, for longer, if I eat foods that that have dense micro-nutritional profiles than something that may have the same amount of calories but less nutrients.

I've found that I stay full, for longer, if I eat foods that that have dense micro-nutritional profiles than something that may have the same amount of calories but less nutrients.

Thats groundbreaking there my friend, probs because of the extra fiber in these foods i.e broccoli compared to rice bubbles

Sorry Bazza20 but I just dont understand your hostility on the subject.

There has been a lot of research on how calories arent equal by many different sources . None of it has anything to do with me but I do tip my hat to those who have .

The link posted by steveP says it all . There is a definite and measurable difference in the way High Glycemic Index Foods interact with the body compared with Low Glycemic Index foods of the same calorie value.

Yes and that link is anything but a scientific resource. It's advertising lol.

Glycemic index is a waste of time in regards to a diet.

Read actual research rather than fad diet information.

I wouldnt sculpt diet purely around GI , just use it as a pointer to certain foods impact on the body .

IE whole foods high in fiber have low GI in general which gives good prebiotic and probiotic health results boosting immunity and healthy body function.

My only point in regards to calories is that while they have equal measurement in energy they can have very different energy release times which has an impact on visceral body fat .

I wouldnt sculpt diet purely around GI , just use it as a pointer to certain foods impact on the body .

IE whole foods high in fiber have low GI in general which gives good prebiotic and probiotic health results boosting immunity and healthy body function.

My only point in regards to calories is that while they have equal measurement in energy they can have very different energy release times which has an impact on visceral body fat .

More jargon. You can't boost your immune system. A boosted immune system is an auto immune disease.

With calories you are thinking at a single point in time. It's what happens over days and weeks that matter for fat loss. So what if a food is stored as fat at a single point in time. This happens with any decent sized meal no matter what the GI is or supposedly how slow release the energy is.

Baz check out this show

Catalyst: Gut Reaction Pt 1 - ABC TV Science

Catalyst: Gut Reaction Pt 2 - ABC TV Science

I think it will change your mind on boosting your natural defense through what you eat , if your open to it that is.

Also check out the young gymnast , obviously no problem as far as calorie in v calorie out , but is he healthy ?.

You are correct as far as calories over time , all Im saying is it isnt the only part of the story and the other part is very important and can have some serious consequences if ignored.

Don't post shows conducted by educated people with with PhDs! We'll have none of that nonsense around here.

The link I posted had plenty of real world studies. Yes, at the end of the large body of studies and information the author was trying to push a product. But what gym/fitness article isn't. So as normal, this insignificant detail disproves all the hard science.

[MENTION=17828]lilcuda[/MENTION]; you know that whey protein is insulinogenic also right?

And that you can store fat without the presence of insulin.

@lilcuda ; you know that whey protein is insulinogenic also right?

And that you can store fat without the presence of insulin.

The human body and its digestion and food reaction is way more complicated than I can explain .

The only point I wanted to make about insulin is peaks and troughs and how what we eat plays its part in whether those are in extremes and the following damage that could do .

I know the key for weight loss.
There are two options, but I've only experienced one myself.

First option: Dysentery
I got sick from some water overseas. Lost 10kg in 8 days.

Second option (long term weight loss): Amputation
Got a limb you don't use much or don't like? Why not cut it off. Guaranteed instant weight loss results.

The human body and its digestion and food reaction is way more complicated than I can explain .

The only point I wanted to make about insulin is peaks and troughs and how what we eat plays its part in whether those are in extremes and the following damage that could do .

Unless you have a disease the body can handle peaks and troughs of insulin just fine.

I wonder how many hours after your last meal before the body switches to catabolic mode? Certainly not the 3-4 hours as some supp companies are trying to get us to believe, but far longer I reckon. 16-24 hours?

I know the key for weight loss.
There are two options, but I've only experienced one myself.

First option: Dysentery
I got sick from some water overseas. Lost 10kg in 8 days.

Second option (long term weight loss): Amputation
Got a limb you don't use much or don't like? Why not cut it off. Guaranteed instant weight loss results.

You can't argue with the logic there.

I wonder how many hours after your last meal before the body switches to catabolic mode? Certainly not the 3-4 hours as some supp companies are trying to get us to believe, but far longer I reckon. 16-24 hours?

Your body is constantly growing and catabolizing tissue. The net aggregate over time is what is important e.g. muscle protein synthesis being greater than muscle protein breakdown = net muscle gain.

Worrying about the acute response to a meal in regards to fat loss or muscle gain is pointless basically.

Unless you have a disease the body can handle peaks and troughs of insulin just fine.

Certainly true for someone eating well and when talking about 1 meal in many , problems arise for continuous response to insulin a la diabetes a growing problem.

I dont think anyone is worrying about a single meal jzpowahz , very few people would eat clean all the time.

Back to the OP though fasting has been shown to have positive effects , problems would only arise for people who reward themselves with a treat just because they have fasted instead of building upon on the result for a better result as StrungOut suggested.