• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Slingshot review

pumpedup86

Looking at picking up a slingshot to help with my bench.

Any reviews from anyone who has used it, is it worth it?

Don't waste your money on a slingshot. Just bench more.

To clarify, slingshots are good for equipped assistance but mostly useless for low level raw benching.

Ive found it good for 2 things in regards to raw lifting with the time spent playing with it..

1. staying tight on the bench.
2. Getting used to the feel of benching 10-20+ kg over your current max.

other than that its a novelty item.

Used for about 3 months last year, found a huge weakness blasting off the chest after I had used it.

was it that you got weaker off the chest? or that your lockout got stronger, and that you werw conditioned to a heavier weight so your raw bench felt light but it just wouldnt go up?
unless your raw bench actually went backwards you were jist conditioned to the heavier weight n shit

was it that you got weaker off the chest? or that your lockout got stronger, and that you werw conditioned to a heavier weight so your raw bench felt light but it just wouldnt go up?
unless your raw bench actually went backwards you were jist conditioned to the heavier weight n shit

No it was definately weaker, as soon as I stopped using and went back to raw benching, off the chest was extremely slow and felt weak, with a slight muscle strain. Took me about 4 weeks to build the strength back up. My advise is if you use it, don't neglect full range benching like I did.

I was looking to get one of these also, but not to train in it every bench session.
Skala were you doing all your bench training in the Slingshot?

No it was definately weaker, as soon as I stopped using and went back to raw benching, off the chest was extremely slow and felt weak, with a slight muscle strain. Took me about 4 weeks to build the strength back up. My advise is if you use it, don't neglect full range benching like I did.

oh shit yeah if you dont raw bench while doing it its like you havnt pressed anything from your chest for 3 months lol

also if your getting a sling shot for overload you could also look into getting a ram or super ram from titan australia. i guess you could say its like the step between raw and full equipped. awesome for overloading lockout

I still want one.
I've tried the Ram before, 60kg bench flew up. Haven't tried a slingshot. Want to add an additional bench session but start looking at equipped benching, still trying to twist Trents arm.

I've got a Reactive (blue) and Original (red) slingshot. I barely use the original. The blue slingshot gets a little pop off the chest, a lot more pliable and easy to get on. A few friends have them too and I found they threw it on too early and never utilize full range raw work until I called them on it. I'd say anybody under a 1.5x bw bench would be fine with a Blue slingshot.

Doing most if not all your work sets raw first and then putting it on so you can get some overload work done seems to be the way to get the best of both worlds. If I plan on using it I'll work to 90-95% and then throw it on for a few lifts, or half of my sets with a heavier weight when doing dynamic work.

Doing most if not all your work sets raw first and then putting it on so you can get some overload work done seems to be the way to get the best of both worlds. If I plan on using it I'll work to 90-95% and then throw it on for a few lifts,

imo this would be the best way to benefit from it.

Useful for getting used to handling heavier weights as Trent says, but there's not much use being able to lock out 100kg if you can't get 70kg off your chest ;)

Slingshot bffs Karen, I'm grabbing a blue one. Hopefully lets me get over this elbow stuff without giving up bench.

I own the titan ram, super ram, and red slingshot.

The titan ones are shit, no body uses them.

We do all our benching without it, then if tricep strength is low, we use it for some overload.
Its also good for getting used to the heavier weights.

Scott, I remember you saying the Titan ones were shit. I have seen Nina using the slingshot at PTC Frankston.

I found the ram had too much bounce off the chest. The bar was halfway up before I had to do any work.