• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Smolov Squat Questions

Brick

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if any of the smolov veterans can give me some feedback? I have just completed the base mesocycle. Before starting my 1 RM squat was 130kg, I plugged in 125kg as my 1rm for programming the base cycle.

Managed to complete the entire cycle without failing any reps and squatted 140kg in the 1 rm test in week 4. Form was good very deep and the squat went up fast, felt like I had another 5kg in the tank. I have some questions for anyone who has gotten through the whole thing

1. I am going to skip the speed phase, (everything on the web is vague about this phase) and I think it seems uneccessary, is this a good idea?

2. I am tempted to plug in my real max of 140kg for the intense phase without knocking off 5kg, is the volume/workload as physicall demanding as the 4 day a week base cycle (seems like you get alot more recovery), should I be dialling it back a bit?

3. What sort of gains did you guys get from the intense phase? I have heard of guys running back to back base cycles anyone tried it?

Thanks

My advice would be that at 140kg 1RM you (probably) don't need to utilise something as 'extreme' as smolov to progress.

My advice would be that at 140kg 1RM you (probably) don't need to utilise something as 'extreme' as smolov to progress.

I am sure that there are other programmes I could have used but in terms of looking at the three lifts I thought I needed to do something drastic to bring my squat up to speed. Before starting this cycle I BP'd 110kg paused, conventional dead of 190kg, and atg squat 130kg @ 83kg bodyweight.

Squat seemed to be miles behind deadlift and stagnant in terms of progress, I have had very little gains in the past 6 months on squat, after 1 x 4 week base cycle I added 10kg to my 1RM.

Maybe I didn't need to run Smolov but I certainly responded well to it, so far.

in a previous life I did smolov. Not really needed for a squat <140kg.

If the program says to deduct 5kg your 1RM, then do so. If you're cooking an applie pie and decide to use pears instead, it's not really apple pie. If the recipe says to use 5 apples but you chose to do 2 because that's all youv'e got...then you're going to not get the full effect.

It's a good program. There are better though. I swear by 5x5 and the 20 squat programs.

Hey mate,

The first time I did Smolov I skipped the speed phase too and instead went to Munich for Oktoberfest. Result: 30kg gain after completing the full cycle.

I dialed back my max the first and second times I ran the cycle. I didn't this last time and it beat the shit out of me (althugh there were other factors involved). I suggest you should dial back your max to be safe for your first run, the intense cycle is pretty brutal stuff. Its not actually a necessary part of the program as written but is more of a bit of advice from other people who have run the program. Not everybody can have everything as dialled in as those in the Russian sports programs.

I can't remember the exact split of my 30kg gain but it was close to 50/50 for both the cycles.

Thanks Freako really appreciate your input. I will be stoked if I can pick up another 10kg in the intense phase.

Only advice I can give is use a max 90% of your 1RM
Then when you go to do the intense phase, use 90% of the 1RM you hit at the end of the base phase

I'd also ditch the lunges as well, if you want to stretch the quads there are a million better things to do

I have only ever run the intense phase. 3 months worth back to back :).

That is a solid effort. Can't imagine how you felt at the end. What sort of gains did you see? Any injuries?

When I looked at the raw numbers before I started the base cycle I thought no way I can get throught this, by the end it was ten triples 5 kg off my inputted starting max. Crazy how quickly your legs adapt.

Once piece of advice: even if you stretch the base cycle out to 4 weeks with 3 sessions a week, it is nigh impossible to combine this with 3 deadlift variations a week as well.

Last edited:
Wanted to report back on my progress so far. First off thanks to everyone that gave me advice in this thread. Good to be able to bounce around ideas and get some feedback from all you blokes.

I finished the programme on Friday with the last week been a bit of a taper. Saturday before that I got through ten triples @ 132.5kg. I went to see Freako at GC Barbell yesterday hoping to squat a max of 150kg. After warming up I hit 140kg and it felt good. Had a decent rest and tried for 150 but failed with my spotter stepping in about a third of the way up. Had a rest and tried for 145kg same result. Definitely felt a little pissy that I didn't get anymore progress from the second part of the cycle. Spose 15kg gain in 8 weeks is ok.

Ben suggested I might be fatigued still and should probably try again next week. I will do this and report back on the result. He also prescribed bulk food intake.

Oddly I felt fine on Monday when I worked out but yesterday and today I have been fighting the flu and feel wrecked. I may well have a case of fatigue/flu combo.

I didn't bench much during the whole time I ran Smolov but still pressed 105kg on Friday so at least my Bench hasn't regressed too much. Overall I think I have lost some size in my upper body but it will come back quick. Funny though all the squatting has made my traps blow up.

Big shout out to Ben for all the advice and coaching even though I have stopped training at his gym after buying my own gear he still goes out of the way to help me out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the update mate. Very interesting.

Thanks JZ it was an awesome experience. Alot of people told me before starting that unless your squatting really heavy (160kg+) the programme is not 'doable' because in the base cycle weights go up weekly in fixed increments rather than a % of your max. The more your squatting the lower the % of your max your adding to your lift.

I can honestly say I performed every single rep to depth without cheating or skipping any sets. It was the most mentally taxing thing I have ever attempted. It has opened my eyes to my potential work capacity.

For anyont that is interested I have attached a link that I found really useful.
Smolov Squat Cycle

Also if anyone is keen I have setup a spreadsheet just PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

I got a s/sheet off stronglifts website for it & it said to put you're max in lbs in. I just did it in kgs and I'm thinking second week in and I'm adding 20kg to everything already! I'll get crushed! haha Then I realised it was fixed increase not %.

Just wondering if you've tried a 1rm on deadlift lately? From what I've read doing something like Smolov will generally help with DL's as well even without actually doing them.

Did you do any assistance stuff or stick to the program only?

Sent you a pm for the s/sheet :)

Am going to try maxes on all three lifts next week to reset for my next programme will report back on DL. I did 190kg kg before starting Smolov, I will be happy if it is still 190kg, my squat was lagging miles behind my DL at a pathetic 130kg.

For upper body I ran 5/3/1 main lifts with none of the assistance exercises for Bench & OHP for the base cycle. By the time I was ruinning the intense phase I backed off to just alternating bench 1 week OHP the next. I was too fried to do anymore than that.

You will also need heaps of rest between sets on the really taxing days toward the end of the workout I sometimes needed 10mins between sets. Like I said though I got through without failing a single rep and I think the rest periods were a big part of that.

FYI the intense phase is only 3 days a week as opposed to the base cycle 4 days but miles harder to get through.

Thanks for that mate :) I take it you went the "eat like a horse" method?

+1 for what moons said. Ate everything in sight and was constantly hungry. Did try to keep it reasonably clean no junk food just upped my portion sizes and added an extra protein shake. I am hopeless at counting cals.