• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Spritcha on Training

Thanks for sharing your thoughts with us it was a very interesting read.

within months I was squatting 180, benching 100 and deadlifting 180.

Wow that is amazing progress, I was happy to squat 185 and pull 200 within 12 months of learning to squat, and at a higher bodyweight to boot. Had you ever done any strength training before this?

EDIT:

Yes, along with general strength increase

Serious enough to give it their all when under the iron, but not seriousness enough to want operations on fucked ligaments and muscles

Up to 2 hours, every night of the week

In time? 12 months

Quit describing me. :p

Last edited:
I have learnt a lot of lessons and would do things differently.
It has taken a lot of time and research for me to get me to where I am now.
Previously I had no understanding of programming- strength development- exercise selection etc. I just followed what was recommended.
Suppose someone comes into your gym and (whether male or female) is around 70kg, and pretty deconditioned, can just do a few reps of SQ40 BP30 DL60. The males might be able to bench more, sometimes. Their goal is to get stronger. They don't really have any idea just how strong they could get, if you talk about a double bodyweight squat they think that'd require drugs and maybe a decade of training, really it seems impossible to them.

I ask because that's a very typical beginner in most gyms. While you were obviously ahead of those typical beginners - probably since you'd been physically active - I wonder if your beginning time is also one you'd do differently?

Last edited:
SP

Thanks for taking the time to give your thoughts. Great stuff.

This bit in particular caught my interest.

When I relocated to Australia I ran into some powerlifters in a gym- they suggested I give it a go. They also recommended changing my training.
So I switched to linear periodisation.
Basically I followed something like the following.
a couple of weeks of 10s, then 8s, then 6s, then 5s, then 2s then competition or test.
The programs were basically written backwards- starting with goal weights then writing backwards with 2s, 5s, etc.
This did not work well for me at all. I felt that during the weeks of 10s, 8s etc I detrained so much and then as the intensity and loading increased I struggled to adapt.

I am observing something similar with linear periodisation with respect to my squat. This is coming from someone who is a little bit unco and coming from many years of sedentary lifestyle with less than ideal movement patterns. The earlier weeks are fine, and allow you to recover and work on technical flaws, but I do feel undertrained and your body is almost taken by surprise once you get to 5s. The movement pattern gets thrown out because it is completely unaccustomed to the intensity and the last few weeks almost end up being counterproductive - they introduce bad habits.

I've recently found linear progression, periodised over 4-6 week blocks to work much better for my squat right now.

But then again as you know our club has a very good history of churning out excellent squatters on the classic linear program.

I think that possibly linear periodisation over 10-16 weeks duration is more likely to be suited to an advanced lifter, or a beginner or intermediate who is a good technical lifter already. That's my obversation.

Deadlift I didn't get this so much because my technique is a little bit more sound and well grooved. The other way the detraining effect is avoided is the introduction of a box (deficit deadlift) for the first half of the cycle, either a high box or less box depending on your sticking point.

For bench press, we use a number of different templates depending on level. The guys who can bench 150kg+ raw would use a linear program, but most of the guys are on volume-specific or intensity-specific programs depending on their level, because as a beginner/intermediate, you'd detrain massively during the first 4-6 weeks.

I would love to give Sheiko a go. I think the volume approach would work very well for my squat in particular. Was looking at the 12 week reduced volume program Dave Bates put together. Only thing holding me back is time constraints and the need for flexibility having an infant.

Do you think it would be possible to fit the beginner sheiko routines into 3x60-90 minute sessions a week? This is non-equipped.

When I relocated to Australia I ran into some powerlifters in a gym- they suggested I give it a go. They also recommended changing my training.
So I switched to linear periodisation.
Basically I followed something like the following.
a couple of weeks of 10s, then 8s, then 6s, then 5s, then 2s then competition or test.
The programs were basically written backwards- starting with goal weights then writing backwards with 2s, 5s, etc.
This did not work well for me at all. I felt that during the weeks of 10s, 8s etc I detrained so much and then as the intensity and loading increased I struggled to adapt.

I just got started on linear periodisation at the you-know-where club and I'm a little worried about precisely that. I've only been training for a bit over a year, but I'm used to lifting (particularly squatting) heavier with higher volume & more frequently.

I'll give this a go for one cycle and see how it goes.

Thanks for the insights, Steve.

When I have a double bench or a double squat I run them together like a pyramid. It makes it a little tougher, but it cuts time

That's an interesting adaption Steve, do you maintain the programed reps/sets for the way down? It looks like you drop the first set of the 2nd group.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes, and how recovery is effected.

That makes perfect sense. One way I know that our linear program seeks to try to balance out the phases to maintain strength is to manipulate the accessory volume and intensity so that it is highest in the 8-6s phase, and also the introduction of a light/speed days for each lift very similar to Westside DE. But I think I would benefit, for squat at least, spending more than 4 weeks every 3-4 months in the "critical zone" at this stage of my development. I've been back training for 5 weeks after a 4 or 5 month break, but once I get back up to my PBs, I'll see if I can sheiko a shot.

I plan to get back to Melbourne Uni soon, so I might see you around.

Dancer, you'll probably find that given your history you'll need the high volume..but give the linear periodisation a go and see what happens.

It really comes down to trying different things and identifying what works best for you, it may be different for each lift too. It takes time and patience and so long as your total keeps heading north it's all good.

For my squat I've had success with 5/3/1, Sheiko (reduced Vol and full vol) and linear periodisation. Dead and bench are different, I really need the volume to keep moving so reduced vol sheiko was no good for either of those but Metal Militia was good for bench and Mag/Ort good for dead along with full vol Sheiko.

I just got started on linear periodisation at the you-know-where club and I'm a little worried about precisely that. I've only been training for a bit over a year, but I'm used to lifting (particularly squatting) heavier with higher volume & more frequently.

I'll give this a go for one cycle and see how it goes.

You must have started after I took a break for the birth of my boy, but I'll be sure to introduce myself when I come back. Don't be afraid to give it a go for a few cycles. I've observed some of the best gains others have made have been in the 2rd and 3rd cycles done on the program.

That's an interesting adaption Steve, do you maintain the programed reps/sets for the way down? It looks like you drop the first set of the 2nd group.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes, and how recovery is effected.

yeah, if I am short on time I drop the last 50%, but normally when I drop a set I either add a few reps on the other sets or add 5%.

Yeah I started at the club in August 2010. Would be good to see you when you get back. :)

In the previous two cycles, I was doing some other routines and got a lot of stick for it. :p I still got stronger though, but this time I'll do the typical club cycle to see if it works for me. That's only for dead and squat, I'm doing the Volume program for bench.

Will do at least two cycles, then if it's not super effective, I might try some of the other programs, like jonnie suggested.

Edit: thanks for that advice Spritcha. I'd like to work with the coaches & the guys (we're a club after all), which is why I'm going on the linear periodisation cycle now, although the previous routines were working just fine for me.

steve, coupla q's if I may....
how much do you think the extra bw has helped your progression?

why and when did you decide to move up to the 125's?

where do you think you'd be total wise if you'd stayed in the 110's?

Spritcha, hope you don't mind me asking but what kind of injuries have you has to deal with and how have they affected your lifting? Reading the info you've given it doesn't seem like you've had any major setbacks other than the bicep tear. I'm surprised since you do so much raw lifting. Have you got any secrets or tips for staying injury free?

steve or anyone expierienced with sheiko.. how long do you run the programs before testing your 1rms ? do you run the whole 4 weeks then test or do you test every 2-3 weeks ad adjust the program accordingly ? or do you continue the program with your original weights then adjust next cycle.

there are competition templates that have test days in them. I'd say run at least 4 weeks prep then a 4 week comp cycle.

The only real injury has been the bicep tear. I occasionally get little niggles like a sore back or sore knees, but I seem to manage them ok.
I do light flys after I bench to stretch out my pecs and do some a bit of stretching.
Maybe I am lucky, but I think if you are careful then training the way I do prepares your body for lifting. I think in the past most injuries I have had are either from poor preparation or doing something stupid.

Okay, thanks. Was the bicep tear just from a heavy deadlifts?