• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

squat form check

Alpha Moth

just a quick check, weight isn't too heavy, just 85kg or so.. my form is the same as on 110kg but i can't find the vid, so i just uploaded this one - anything super wrong? its a low bar squat from marks books.
[YOUTUBE]982uNFWgc5c[/YOUTUBE]

Looks like your leaning over too much when standing, push your chest out more proud before initiating the movement. I have to remind myself to do this aswell.

Ok so try and not lean so forward, anytihng else in the lift?

oh and eyes up? i know a lot of you guys do that here, i'm just doing what was said in marks book SS

I have my eyes on the floor just like that, anyone who says head up isnt a good person to listen to.

It looks pretty good man. You could possibly go a tad lower and drive more with your hips but otherwise your fine. You just have to get weight on the barbell now :p

I have my eyes on the floor just like that, anyone who says head up isnt a good person to listen to.

It looks pretty good man. You could possibly go a tad lower and drive more with your hips but otherwise your fine. You just have to get weight on the barbell now :p

He's leaning too far forward because his chest isn't up, because his eyes are looking at the floor. Well that was my thoughts anyways. If it works for you then I'm sure it's right.

Edit

Last edited:
He's leaning too far forward because his chest isn't up, because his eyes are looking at the floor. Well that was my thoughts anyways. If it works for you then I'm sure it's right.

Leaning too far forward according to what?

At his start position he has the barbell over the midfoot, with correct spinal shape. What is wrong with that?

My comments would be that unless it is a camera trick, your bar path travels forward - 'sit back' more and keep the weight on your heels rather than transferring it forward towards your toes.

In addition to sitting back, Olivers' suggestion of more hip drive is good to.

You also seem to only just, if that, hit depth - are you pushing your knees out? If not, do so.

yea im forcing my knees out, my depth is below parallel. i'll film it again on thursday with more angles for better judgement

Might be the angle but it looks that you at best touch parallel at worst are a tiny bit above it.

Oli gives good advice just focus on the hip drive.

Edit

Rippetoe said:
Looking up at the ceiling when squatting has so many detrimental effects on proper technique that some law against it will eventually have to be adopted. It is the enemy of correct bottom position, hip drive out of the bottom, and correct chest position, the three most important factors in a safe, correct squat. This bizarre neck position is inherently unsafe anyway. To place the cervical spine in extreme hyperextension and then to place a heavy weight on the trapezius muscles directly underneath it is, at best, imprudent.

Try this: assume a good deep bottom position as described earlier, with knees out, toes out, and heels down. Put the chin slightly down and look at a point on the floor five or six feet in front of you. Now drive your hips
up out of the bottom, and make note of how this feels. Now do the same thing while attempting to look at the ceiling (fig. 2-25). You will discover an amazing thing — that chin-down (looking down keeps the chin down) with the neck in a normal anatomical position enables your hip drive. And it helps you keep your chest up, so that your upper back is in the normal anatomical position for the thoracic spine under load. Correct chest position is an important factor in placing the lumbar spine in the correctly extended, slightly arched position. Correct lumbar position is essential for full utilization of the hamstrings and glutes out of the bottom, because when they are stretched more completely they can contract more completely and generate more power over a longer range. So bad neck position sets up a series of bad positions that greatly diminishes the safety and effectiveness of the squat.

Slightly down or straight ahead.

Oli, You used that same quote against me last time.

Read the first 5 words.

Nobody had mentioned looking at the ceiling here (or last time for that matter)

I have my head pointing straight ahead, with my eyes always fixed at that point. Thats how I was taught.
But by all means, look down at the ground if that what works for you.... It just doesnt work for everybody.

Oli, You used that same quote against me last time.

Read the first 5 words.

Nobody had mentioned looking at the ceiling here (or last time for that matter)

I have my head pointing straight ahead, with my eyes always fixed at that point. Thats how I was taught.
But by all means, look down at the ground if that what works for you.... It just doesnt work for everybody.

Rippetoe is venomously opposed to looking up in any capacity. Most lifters look straight ahead, and Rippetoes looking down some 10 feet away is pretty close to that.

Im critiquing this because its a specific style of squat, one he'll eventually adapt for himself over time as the weights get bigger. Throwing in advice from a different squat style is just going to confuse and make what hes already doing more awkward.