• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Squat grip problem

nazzysmith

kuncesmith
Gidday crew....

I am doing the starting strength 3x5 program....

Have never squatted before... so I started with an empty bar and currently follow Mark Rippetoes methodology for form... It still needs work... but let me just say that Squatting is AWESOME!!!!! Squatting is now a labor of love for me....

Currently squatting 90kg... And adding 2.5kg to the bar every workout...

My issue relates to a niggling shoulder injury that is starting to show up which I suspect is related to this... As the weight increases the issue is becoming more noticeable... I think that its a rotator cuff...

When I un rack the bar up it feels fantastic... I use the low back position.... My thumbs and fingers are on top of the bar and my hands are resting... ie not carrying any weight on the bar...
I use a high elbow position as per Rips teaching....

When I squat it all feels good.... I finish my reps strong....

Then when I rack the bar I tend to struggle getting it in the slot... And I step away with tightness in my shoulders...

Kinda feels like ive hyper extended something in my left shoulder... Im wondering if it is to do with a lack of flexibility????? Although its also possible that im using my arms and shoulders to get the bar back in the power rack.... (After the last rep Im not exactly thinking the clearest)

Anyone care to offer an opinion????

Try lowering your pins, it may be that your reaching to dump the bar back in. If they are slightly lower you could just walk into the rack until the bar touches on both sides and lower onto pins.

EDIT: And dont put the bar down one side at a time, just walk it in and dump it down. You shouldn't have to look at the pins on each side, just focus ahead of you and dump it down controlled like etc.

Last edited:
nazzy as discussed pop around some time soon and i will go through this with u in person. Most of what the guys here have said will make sense alot more afterwards.. If u feel sharp pain now and your only starting out it is a cause of concern in your technique imo.. Always best to learn good habits from the start.

Cheers Trentzor....

I whole heartedly agree... And its great that you offers such an awesome service....

Rest assured that I will be in to see you some time soon... Im so keen to build strenght...

Try lowering your pins, it may be that your reaching to dump the bar back in. If they are slightly lower you could just walk into the rack until the bar touches on both sides and lower onto pins.

EDIT: And dont put the bar down one side at a time, just walk it in and dump it down. You shouldn't have to look at the pins on each side, just focus ahead of you and dump it down controlled like etc.

Ram thats exactly what I do...

its not pins... Its a power rack....

So you have to find the hole... Which does not neccesarily align to my natural hight...

So I do feel that I am reaching before I dump the bar.... And I look left before dropping the bar....

Grrrr.... Stupid equipment....

How do I get around this.....

A possibilty could be tightness through the lats/delts.

With your hands up in the air, how far can you get them behind your head?

Hmm, go and see trentzor at PTC, or you could post a quick vid so we could check you out. Sticky and trent will be able to give better advice than me as they are trained in this area mate, so get it sorted straight away so you can focus on your training.

I would suggest it relates to grip width, mobility and how you re-rack.

Go see Trent and/or post a picture. Extremely hard to correct these things without a visual.

Cheers Rams....

I used the next peg down.... And did it barefoot to drop my height...

Got no shoulder pain... I think you might have nailed it...

I have to drop down a little to get the bar home... But its definitely a hell of a lot better then trying for the next peg up...

The power rack is not the pin type... Its the one with the shark teeth running up both sides...So If you miss the bar bounces back...

Also I took some time to really stretch the back of my shoulders before starting... The pain could also relate to my lack of flexibility here... Something I will work on...

Eitherway all good... Nailed 92.5kg and on track for 100kg next Sunday...

Trentzor...

Im still coming to Sydney PTC sometime soon... Ill be certain to call a couple of days in advance to book and let you know...

Got lots to work on... Power clean, squat, bench, press and deadlifts....

I might even drop in on the power lifting comp just to watch... Will see how I go for time...

Cheers all...

Attachments

• Power rack.JPG
    Power rack.JPG
    10.7 KB · Views: 19
No probs, glad I could help, sometimes it can be the smallest of things. Ahhh, now I see what you mean about your rack, my old gym had a rack like that, I never used it for that exact same reason, it just couldn't line up properly for me.
Glad to see your still going to PTC, you will learn allot I'd imagine and it will be well worth your time.
Good progress there, and good luck.

Cheers...

Never been to a gym like PTC before... But love the positive vibe it gives off when I read about...

Looking forward to learning... Got lots of things Im not sure about...

And yes the cage in my gym sucks.... Got about 3 months of membership left then Im going shopping for another gym!!!!!

Not sure what the designers where thinking when they created it... Definitely not designed for heavy squatting...