• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Squat stance

Brick

Alright muppets I will pre-face this post by saying I have been laid up for a month now and watching ALOT of powerlifting online which has got me thinking about my efficiency as a lifter. I have always trained to be strong but now want to train exclusively to powerlift. The competition bug has bitten.

I have always squatted feet just outside of shoulder width, low bar and very deep. For ages I only went to parallel and freako pulled me up on depth when I first visited the Gc b'bell so I started burying all my training squats, basically till my hamis touched my calves.

I'm going to work hard on just breaking legal depth from now on as I am robbing myself by going too deep. I have also noticed while looking online that compared to most gun lifters my stance is fairly narrow. I have always just done what feels natural, I want to rebuild my squat because it's fucking average so can any knowledgeable peeps provide input on wide stance and your experiences basically the following-

Is wide stance suitable to raw lifters?

Did you find it added weight to your squat?

Is it kinder on the knees?

Do you think it carries over better to dead lift (sumo or conventional)?

Come at me with answers powerlifting guns and keyboard warriors alike. Let the e-battles begin.

Last edited:
I squat wider that shoulder width, and I find it helps my deadlift.

I didnt pull for 3 months, and only squatted (3x a week), it went up by 50kg.
With that said, I was high bar at the time, and slightly narrower.

I like my stance at the moment, but tend to squat to deep.
Below is my first 600lb un-equipped squat. Just wider than shoulder width.

PTC Brisbane - Scott squats 272.5kg - YouTube

The rest of your questions are really lifter dependant. It comes down to levers and mobility. Vids would help a lot.

Last edited:
I like to mix it up a bit while moving through the weight. Usually for the lighter sets I will have a narrower stance, then when wraps are added over about 180kg it just 'feels' better to go wider.
In the end it will be what works for you, some people prefer wider, others narrow, I am sure sticky and freako will be able to sort you out when they see your vids.