• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Squatting

tudorsi

Hey guys and girls, new guy here, been lifting for around 3months. Anyway I have a slight problem with squatting, whenever I squat I always seem to hurt my knees, even with next to none weight on it I always hurt them? I am not exactly sure what this means but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Simon

PS sorry if i posted in wrong section

Somewhere I read that taking a slightly wider stance can help with sore knees. I'm not really sure as squats actually stopped me from getting sore knees, so can't speak from experience on this one.

It could have a lot to do with proper form, there are a lot of good articles around that cover this. Mainly make sure your knees aren't going out in front of your toes and keep feet at a 30-45 degree angle instead of pointed forward.
Also keeping the shins as straight as possible and sitting back into it is very important. Check the weight your lifting just in case make sure your not overreaching.

A wider stance will involve more glutes
a more narrow stance would involve more quads
and a shoulder width stance should keep things even.

Experiment with little or no weight to get comfortable, and going to the doctor to get it checked out wouldn't hurt at all.
hope that helps

Try and get a video front and side on so we can have a look at your squat.
That will give us a better idea on if your squatting correctly and how we can help fix it.

It could have a lot to do with proper form, there are a lot of good articles around that cover this. Mainly make sure your knees aren't going out in front of your toes and keep feet at a 30-45 degree angle instead of pointed forward.
Also keeping the shins as straight as possible and sitting back into it is very important. Check the weight your lifting just in case make sure your not overreaching.

A wider stance will involve more glutes
a more narrow stance would involve more quads
and a shoulder width stance should keep things even.

Experiment with little or no weight to get comfortable, and going to the doctor to get it checked out wouldn't hurt at all.
hope that helps

Incorrect.

Feet should be in a 'normal' position. If you walk with feet out squat with feet out, if you walk with feet forward or slightly pidgeon toed, squat with feet straight.
As far as knees in front of toes, it largely comes down to the individual but there is not necessarily a right or wrong answer (for every day squatting, for a powerlifter you want to sit back as much as possible to engage more of the posterior chain)

As far as knees in front of toes, it largely comes down to the individual but there is not necessarily a right or wrong answer (for every day squatting, for a powerlifter you want to sit back as much as possible to engage more of the posterior chain)

With your knees behind your toes there is less stress on the knee joint and more on the hips where the musculature is greater. For an everyday person (office worker, stay at home mum, retail clerk etc) lifting weights for health this is a much better position as to reduce the wear on the knee joint and teach them to use their hips properly for general movement, picking up objects, staving off knee and hip replacements etc.

Try and get a video front and side on so we can have a look at your squat.
That will give us a better idea on if your squatting correctly and how we can help fix it.

I've seen ppl get good results by doing this on other forums, seems like a very good idea

Incorrect.

Feet should be in a 'normal' position. If you walk with feet out squat with feet out, if you walk with feet forward or slightly pidgeon toed, squat with feet straight.
This is actually the sort of idea I've always leaned toward, (specially in relation to diet) in where things have to be more tailored to the specific individual and not so much a preset.
Thanks for the correction, I've been reading lately about powerlifting, some online articles and my latest book is "Starting and Progressing in Powerlifting A Comprehensive Guide to the World’s Strongest Sport" By Gary F. Zeolla. Maybe not the best source, but he goes in to such wonderful detail about his whole experience during the actual competitions and equipment. Anywho, Your right (and I think u coincide with Mr Zeolla) I actually miss quoted in that the indication made by him is 20-45 (not 30-45). Also I applied my own interpretation (thinking on what has worked best for me :/) the actual reference is "The toes should be facing somewhat outward, about 20-45 degrees, but again, you need to experiment as different foot angles can change the feel of the lift."

Also I've kept an image of foot position I found on a forum sometime ago, I believe it's from the Rippetoe book (which I haven't read yet, it's my next on the line) but I don't know how to upload here.

Speaking of that and continuing the squat subject what do you (and everyone else) think of this statement

"Keep the head looking forward or slightly upward throughout the
performance of the lift. The elbows should be elevated so as to be bet
ter able to hold onto the bar and to keep it from slipping. There should
be a slight arch in the back, with the lower part of the pelvis rotated
backwards. This position should be maintained throughout."
I've experimented with this and have found best results with eyes facing forward.

Also currently researching anatomy and leverage (which I think is good for anyone to learn about) to get a better understanding of the mechanics involved in my main lifts

woops I'm rambling, sry

Last edited:
A lot of things can go wrong in this exercise
What we know or should know;

The knee (bendy bit) must travel past the toes usually at around where the hip is above parallel to it, a lot of time spent there if one is to squat to that position along with shearing forces which is what a lot of neophytes do with a bar loaded with too much weight.

The knee (bendy bit) has got to travel in the same direction as to where the toes are pointing, as to which direction or angle they are pointing I couldn't give a shit, you've just got to find that one out for yourself.

Why are your knees hurting? I wouldnt have a fuckin clue, could be anything, but if you keep doing what you're doing you'll keep getting what your getting.

No video is going to fix it.

Learn how to squat before you stick a barbell on your back
body weight squat
Goblet squat
SLDL

Last edited:
Tudorsi are you squatting rather low? If so DO NOT bounce off the bottom. Rather pause at the bottom and then drive up with your heels. Some people can't do squats low because their knees don't let them.

Before I squat I do sets of 20-30 reps on the leg extension to get my knee's lubricated and quads slightly warmed up. This might not be a bad idea for you mate.