• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

SS to split routine?

Very good post Andy, last paragraph is excellent advice IMO.

Callan, I agree with what you're alluding to....mix up the reps every now and then.

Thanks bud.

Just to add to this.
The very old rep system of double progression can also be used for a very long time safely.

Add weight that you could bearly reach 6 and fail on 7, each workout your goal is to do one extra rep, when you reach 12 and you can maintain that 12 reps over say 3 consecutive workout, basically saying you own it...add 10kg and start the process over.

Of course you would need to use excellent form, no wriggling around to get the last rep, nice smooth and controlled cadence.

Thanks bud.

Just to add to this.
The very old rep system of double progression can also be used for a very long time safely.

Add weight that you could bearly reach 6 and fail on 7, each workout your goal is to do one extra rep, when you reach 12 and you can maintain that 12 reps over say 3 consecutive workout, basically saying you own it...add 10kg and start the process over.

Of course you would need to use excellent form, no wriggling around to get the last rep, nice smooth and controlled cadence.
this is what i was doing a while back for military press because i would fatigue too fast to get say 3x8 of a max weight. i liked it :)

Edit: except the weight increase was much less lol

Joel and you seem to think that there is only one way to train for size and one way for strength and that doing one will not result in any of the other.

Sorry but as much as you hate it getting stronger is a great way of getting bigger. Then diet takes care of getting leaner.

Not at all mate - I believe all ways of weight training will result in size and strength but you wanting to use the best way possible to get the results you want.

I know I could train with a 3 day SS program and still gain size....but I wouldnt be getting the most out of my goals by doing this.

I understand you guys like things simple, squat, bench, dead but theres more to training than that and when your talking bodybuilding you guys need to expand your minds abit and look at what works.

I never post in the strength section and suggest someone does a split program....I offer advice suited to that goal.

I myself have done programs from westside/russian methods all the way to your common bodybuilding split....but I have always done the programs to suit my goals and feel at the end of the day this is what a person needs to focus on to get the best results possible.

Not at all mate - I believe all ways of weight training will result in size and strength but you wanting to use the best way possible to get the results you want.

I know I could train with a 3 day SS program and still gain size....but I wouldnt be getting the most out of my goals by doing this.

I understand you guys like things simple, squat, bench, dead but theres more to training than that and when your talking bodybuilding you guys need to expand your minds abit and look at what works.

I never post in the strength section and suggest someone does a split program....I offer advice suited to that goal.

I myself have done programs from westside/russian methods all the way to your common bodybuilding split....but I have always done the programs to suit my goals and feel at the end of the day this is what a person needs to focus on to get the best results possible.

I still think beginers all need the same thing at first though, and that is a base..

I dont disagree with that - but I was offering advice directed at what question he asked.

There are different versions, but heres one

Day 1
Chest, triceps

Day 2
Back, biceps

Day 3
Off

Day 4
Shoulders

Day 5
Off

Day 6
Legs, abs

Day 7
Off

Pick 2-3 exercises for each muscle group.

You could add shoulders to chest, triceps and make it a 3 day split. You could have a shoulder/arms day.....there's plenty of split routines on the Internet.

the only benefit i see of a spilt like this would be more time resting each muscle group for the time in between, Were as i train the same groups every second day.

just on the topic of russians, Read any of the books by pavel?

my muay thai kru in thailand swore by this guy, he was 60 and skinny as, but boy was he strong, 1 leged squats you name it.

this training is more about breathing and mucle contraction tho, i havent looked to much into it

the only benefit i see of a spilt like this would be more time resting each muscle group for the time in between

That's true, that's the main point of split routines, plus you're also able to blitz each muscle group to a greater degree. You're doing, say, a 20 set workout on only 1 or 2 muscle groups eg. chest and triceps, compared to 20 on the entire body.

There are more splits than just a typical five da.y spilt. Anyone on PPP, 531, westside programs are on splits.

I'm doing westside upper/lower split..

Only thing I dont like is by the time lats upper back come for upper day I'm fried from heavy bench then triceps.

Though moving them to another day would effect squatting.

Also don't forget bodybuilders fry the fuck out of a muscle though if you arnt repairing it due to whatever reason. Rest / natty / food , you won't see the results you want.

Changing to a full body split does not give you the results of a bodybuilder any
More then am I Donnie Thompson for doing westside.

They both take t I m e

I agress Every routine would take time, But During that time You can work out In a more efficient manner then the next bloke.

Why are begginer programs Reccomended before a split routine?

My Thought was more to do with Isolation movments, Such as build a great base with Heavy compounds before moving on to Issolations to make it more effective that way.

Or am i able to stick with free weight compounds For the whole time i lift, Dosent matter what routine.

Myofibrillar hypertrophy occurs at under 5 reps roughly working in the higher % too your 1rm

Sacroplasmic hypertrophy occurs closer to 20 reps with say %60 1rm

So going by this a program to best suit looking awesome would involve doing some exercises with reps of 5 and some exercises with reps of 20 being the target.

That is something I would love to try

From my own experiences i found its true that this forum will push more full body/strength training programs towards beginners although its probably the best piece of advice i could of been given.

I think that even though you said your not interested in your maxes, if you focus on them and kind of forget about the whole 'looks' side of things, you will probably notice that you will put on a lot of size. Sounds kinda silly but i found that when i stopped worrying about how i looked and started progressing with a set program, eating a lot and resting thats when i would start getting comments from everyone wherever i went about how much size i had put on.

I haven't properly started a split yet and i'm not planning on it although that its due to my own personal goals and experiences, i'm training for competitions as well as functional strength for other sports and activities. Although i'm not training for hypertrophy or looks, it is still important to me, but i know from my experiences that i'm not going to get any smaller by training with low volume/heavy weight.

Not taking anything away from a split program, but either way you go. you will see your results. Just be careful that if you do start a split, don't screw around with different programs, stick to one religiously. I learnt that mucking around changing the lifts and set variations of programs and changing programs themselves all the time will do nothing but see that you waste time and energy on something thats most likely irrelevant for you right now. So keep that in mind :)

I recently switched to a bb type split. Needed to freshen things up. I was taking it all a little seriously and it began to harm my motivation.

Changed it up, and really personalised everything by doing only exercises I love to do. Worked a charm and motivation has sky rocketed again.

Moral, do what you enjoy mate. Thats why we do this isn't it?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2