• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

standing rows

canned tuna

I do these once a week on my shoulders day. I'm seeing some gain in the last 5 months (30->50kg close grip).
I've been told by a friend these are bad news for your rotator cuffs though, and now that I've done a bit of googling, it seems to be a ticking timebomb
What's the go with these? can't find much posted on here.
Am I better off sticking to isolation exercises for shoulders/traps?
The first time I tried 50kg a nerve pinched and I had to take a week or so off, the pain was excruciating. I've built my way up gradually since then and have had no problems or discomfort since

I've just started upright barbell rows and i've got no problem. A lot of people can't do them though because it screws their shoulders up. If your body doesn't agree with it change to something else.

i have a wider grip, hits the side deltoids more then traps that way. also better for wrists

It carries a risk and if you want to do it then do it. Your acromion process is put into a position where it can cause impingement due to the movement. This can over time cause issues with your supraspinatus and its accompanying bursa.

It carries a risk and if you want to do it then do it. Your acromion process is put into a position where it can cause impingement due to the movement. This can over time cause issues with your supraspinatus and its accompanying bursa.

This.

Be careful when doing it.

Any movement around the shoulder where the arm is in the fully adducted or the fully abducted position there is going to be conflicting muscle action, depending on the structure of the humeral head and the glennoid will have an impact.

The safest position is somewhere in between where the arm is fully adducted and fully abducted.

To make my point clear, stand with your arms at the waist at shoulder with
Hands pronate, as if you are doing chin-ups
Now lift to 90 degrees, you will feel resistance there, you will need to supinate the hands to continue.

The reason some can get away with this, like I said is due to structure of shoulder.

This can be applied to any exercise where there is movement at the shoulder.

cb64f125-2387-ecef.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The reason some can get away with this, like I said is due to structure of shoulder.
I must be one of those then, since barbell upright rows are nothing short of phenomenal for me, hitting my side deltoids/front deltoids as well as my trapezius muscles all in one hit.

Some may find the cable upright rows much smoother, placing much more emphasis on the targeted muscles (including the rear delts) and less on other non targeted muscles such as the forearms for example.

I find high reps (in the range of 20-30) work really well, or when the exercise is used as part of a giant set and/or one single extended set.

PS: The above was not a promotion of the exercise, but rather a support of Andy's statement re different athletes with different body structure and mechanics. My two cents worth...

Fadi.

I've found my shoulders aren't too bad doing them as long as my hands aren't in a pronated position (so with a barbell basically)
Using a KB, band or anything else where I can angle my hands seems to relieve any pressure/discomfort
Ive subluxed both shoulders doing them (this was a few months before I joined on here) so unlikely I'll do the BB version any time soon
I think the weight may play a part in this too, as I never had an issue with higher reps and only hurt my shoulders attempting 5x5

That said I'm definitely in the El Freako corner of them being unnecessary.

I must be one of those then, since barbell upright rows are nothing short of phenomenal for me, hitting my side deltoids/front deltoids as well as my trapezius muscles all in one hit.

Some may find the cable upright rows much smoother, placing much more emphasis on the targeted muscles (including the rear delts) and less on other non targeted muscles such as the forearms for example.

I find high reps (in the range of 20-30) work really well, or when the exercise is used as part of a giant set and/or one single extended set.

PS: The above was not a promotion of the exercise, but rather a support of Andy's statement re different athletes with different body structure and mechanics. My two cents worth...

Fadi.

Not only different, I think the mold was lost.

Ok thought I would ask this here, the BTN press gets a similar bad reputation for wrecking shoulders. For those that know this stuff, is this justified? Can it be used safely?

Last edited:
Ok thought I would post this here, the BTN press gets a similar bad reputation for wrecking shoulders. For those that know this stuff, is this justified? Can it be used safely?

Good question.

My question to those that say it is a shoulder wrecker.

Where do they hold the bar when squatting?