• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Standing Shoulder Press

PowerBuilder

I've been diong some reading on the 5/3/1 workout lately.

One day is devoted to the core lift of the shoulder / military press

Has anybody ever done a 1RM test of the shoulder press? I've found 'a lot' not all, but a lot, of bodybuilders, or so called bodybuilders don't do 1RM tests enough. Which actually really bugs me, as how do you know your actually working in the 80-85% of your 1RM? Sorry, I digress...

Is there some type of % that i can use as a target, based on what my flat bench press current max is, so at least i have something to aim for when i do the test ?

Thats a pretty good question.
I know what weight I can max out on, but I cant say I really know wot my 1rm would be. Not without 2 spotters.

dont have one of those in our gym, guys just use the squat rack for that.
I dont think it would be all that hard to work out wot your max would be, seems to me as I was doing em the other night. I was failing at 75kg on my 2nd rep, so Im guessing my 1rm max would be 70 or 75kg. For me it is benefical to go as heavy as I can handle on each and every exercise. If I was doing 10 reps of 60kg then obviously that weight is too light and not doin much.

I operate a strength and conditioning gym in Frankston and EVERYBODY performs the standing military press. We do it 2 ways, you either clean the BB off the floor, the same as we do in our comps, or you take it from a rack, which doesnt count to your total.

The lift has to be done with absolutely zero knee bend or leg drive, I am quite anal on this.

I regard pressing bodyweight overhead a a strong lift. Currently I have had 5 lifters achieve this.

Alen 82.5kg @ 82kg
Kelly 90kg @ 83kg
Adam 90kg @ 85kg
Ghosty 60kg @ 60kg
Dineth 60kg @ 57kg

I have done 102.5kg @ 95kg, my brother has done 115kg @ 130kg

All these weights were cleaned from the floor before pressing. No belts or any assistance equipment allowed.

Be aware that you cannot calculate a 1RM by doing reps on a lighter weight. The lift starts from a disatvantaged position, the bottom, no bouncing or momentum is available. For instance, I did 90kg x 6, but could only do 102.5kg x 1. This would be very different on the bench press.

Cheers

Markos