• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Sternum discomfort

Simple

Last day or so i've had some discomfort just sightly right of centre. It gets a bit worse if a breath in heavy or move my chest around in certain ways.

I assume it's from Deadlifts, MP or Bench a couple of days ago when i tested 1RM's, as i think i've had this before and it goes away in a couple of days. It didn't occur during / straight after the session, so assume its just a bit of inflamation or a slight strain that's surfaced after the fact.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there anything to help it resolve itself?

Could be a rib cartilage/joint inflammation, most painful at a deep breath IN. An absolute bitch to treat and take ages to heal. Hopefully minor.

I've had it, went away. Sorry never had it checked so no idea what is was, i assumed same as you did.

Not in the actual sternum but on the far left hand side of my right pec, next to the sternum. Apparently your back muscles are connected to your chest muscles in rings around your body, so it could have happened from something in the back. Personally, I find it pops up with chest dips a little, so I'm just careful. However, if that's not the same as you then sorry can't help out.

I've given it a couple of days, and its pretty much gone now so must have been minor (or i'm just soft). No more discomfort when i breath in deep or move in anyway, only when i cough hard.

Will give it another day and back into it.

Cheers

I saw a physio today and my chest discomfort is caused by a shoulder joint. I have 3 places of chest discomfort. Left rib joint at sternum, armpit and everywhere between.

Yes, I had this injury (caused by weighted dips) and continued to train for a long period of time (like an idiot!!), made no gains as was constantly trying to minimise discomfort in sternum region. At worst point a regular breath caused me discomfort, a deep breath agony and hunching over was painful. Since deciding to lay off completely to repair I have been circa 7 months without active weight training, and would say I'm around 90% repaired, just the odd thing here and there. Self diagnosed that I had costchondritis but after seeing a sports doctor was diagnosed with a micro-cracked sternum. No prescription just rest. My advice would definitely be to lay off until your 100% or you could set yourself up for a long stint out like I have had.

My sternum/chest discomfort has finally ceased after 14 months! Worst problem was a self diagnosed tight pec but the issue was in the scapula. Had so much treatment for chest and it was only when I did a ball exercise I saw on YouTube that the pain almost instantly went away. I get some tightness now and again when working with weights in wide grips but nothing like I had last year.

I actually have decent videos/booklet type thing called fix my shoulder pain on my google drive if you are interested