• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Stopping Point

Totalstrength

Hi Guys,

Just thinking about the age when we stop getting stronger, and from then on only can maintain
I don't know much about it but off the top of my head if staying injury free around 50?

Anyone alse got some ideas?

i would also ask at what level of strength? for example, will i ever be able to bench 200kgs? or will that be beyond my natural potential?

i'm not sure whether it would be a particular age, or at a particular weight which would be the limiting factor for future gains...

I often think about this..

Oliver reckons its not possible for a natural to get above 90 within 8-10%.

Is it the same for strength gains, i guess they are all comparative.

50 is a very arbitrary number. Why 50 as opposed to 40 or 60?

The age that we should stop or at least slow down is dependent on the individual. If you (and your doctors/physios) believe you're mentally and physically able to bear massive loads into your 90s then by all means continue. I personally don't believe many people will ever reach their strength/muscular genetic potential, requires focus and dedication most of us don't have

Well it ain't 40. I'm 40 and still making natural gains. I want to put at least 20kg on every single one of my lifts this year. I actually want a 200kg dead by the end of the year when I'll be 41. Watch my log, you'll find out soon enough I suppose... ;)

Cheers,
Old man Mike.

I often think about this..

Oliver reckons its not possible for a natural to get above 90 within 8-10%.

Is it the same for strength gains, i guess they are all comparative.

100kg was the number I gave at 5'10-6'. Get it right.

Please link me to the 100kg+, 5'10, 8% natural you have seen.

You know Wim the old fella who competes with PA? He's still getting stronger at 79 years young. Recently he did 2.5 comps (a raw 3 lifts comp, a raw bench-only comp and an equipped 3 lifts comp) in one day.

He started lifting at 70 though, so had he started earlier, he might've peaked younger.

Before Markos gets in.... His old client James is over 65 I think..
he's been getting stronger over the year or so he's been training there..
last deadlift was 202.5kg??

You know Wim the old fella who competes with PA? He's still getting stronger at 79 years young. Recently he did 2.5 comps (a raw 3 lifts comp, a raw bench-only comp and an equipped 3 lifts comp) in one day.

He started lifting at 70 though, so had he started earlier, he might've peaked younger.

Before Markos gets in.... His old client James is over 65 I think..
he's been getting stronger over the year or so he's been training there..
last deadlift was 202.5kg??

you guys are both getting at the same point that i was, i don't think its necessarily about age, its about training age and ultimate genetic potential.

Your genetic potential for muscle growth is going to be mid 40s, as this is when the metabolism decreases and your body reduces the amount of testosterone created.

As for strength gains, and increases in fitness, who knows. You hear stories of people you would think came out of a coffin running a marathon, or lifting a car.

Lets post some facts

Test levels drop from age 28 or so

training age is irrelevant, James has less than 2 years, started at 59, and deadlifts more than most on here, in competition, not gym lifts

I set PB's at 45 and I've been training since I was 16

All your limits are in your head, I've seen mental weakness and I've seen mental toughness (Nick 162.5kg squat x 20)....you cant teach it or obtain it.

For you guys in your 20's, its all guess work, you have no idea, and you wont till you get older, Andy can chime in here, and Fadi.

You guys think its age or injuries, I'm here to tell you its kids, wife, job, mortgage that plays a bigger role.

I guess you guys will find out in time, meanwhile, just lift FFS

Nina got stronger at 45, set her first WR, Sussy is strongest at 41, started lifting in her early 20's, then got married, had kids, mortgage etc, training hard now, should be past her peak, but shes not, Vicki is the same, Spiros squatted a best raw squat PB at 44 of 215kg.

Laurie Butler deadlifted 300kg @ 82.5kg and 63 years old.

Nuff said.

Who says you have to stop?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxlY9LjACTg&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Fred Peterson's 640 lb Dead Lift 4/21/08[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RTkHz06mQ8&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - WORLD RECORD -by 60 yr old[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miumxGLk1_8]YouTube - Great-grandmother and powerlifter[/ame]

I had not done any weight training since I was 23 and only got into powerlifting when I was 40 and I feel stronger now than I did back in my twenties when I was training so yeah I would have to agree that age has really nothing to do with it - just lift. I honestly feel I am nowhere close to where I could be lifting and look forward to what I will be lifting at 50 and at 60 when I have actually got some decent training behind me

50 this year.
I still train with the same intensity as I did when I was 30.

Progression is slow but still there.
When I was 30 I made a decision to train in a way that ensured I could still train when I was 50, fuck, fifty was old back then, my goal is to still lift into my more senior years.

As I've aged I've realized the strength in my hips is the first to suffer, machines have also become my friend.

I had the fortune to listen to my elders, it's helped.

50 this year.
I still train with the same intensity as I did when I was 30.

Progression is slow but still there.
When I was 30 I made a decision to train in a way that ensured I could still train when I was 50, fuck, fifty was old back then, my goal is to still lift into my more senior years.

As I've aged I've realized the strength in my hips is the first to suffer, machines have also become my friend.

I had the fortune to listen to my elders, it's helped.

If you have the time I know a lot of us 20-somethings would appreciate your thoughts on what we should do to ensure we can still be active when we're 50.

Why concern one self with something you have no control over.

Instead focus on that you can control, training, eating and resting.