• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Stopping Point

If you have the time I know a lot of us 20-somethings would appreciate your thoughts on what we should do to ensure we can still be active when we're 50.

I can only speak for myself and most will not like the answer but I feel my longevity is attributed to not performing one rep lifts-that and Olympic lifts.

Actions verify priorities.

I can only speak for myself and most will not like the answer but I feel my longevity is attributed to not performing one rep lifts-that and Olympic lifts.

Actions verify priorities.

Fair enough I'll keep that in mind.

Did you ever compete as a powerlifter? Or are you just referring to not performing 1RM's in training?

I should have said at the start I was referring to seasoned lifters that started young that lift through out there lifes not people starting lifting later in life.

Interesting article out today on this topic with some good information in it.

Avoiding the F-word: frailty

article said:
“Losing muscle strength starts a bit later, at around 45 or 50 when we lose around 1.5 per cent of strength each year until 65 or 70 when the loss speeds to about 3 per cent each year,” he says.

As for how rapidly we lose the amount of muscle in our body – by the time we get to 60 plus, we can have lost as much as 40 per cent.

That’s assuming you’re doing nothing to fight back.

article said:
In a perfect world where we’d be doing everything possible to resist frailty – and the nursing home - we’d all be picking up weights in our mid-40s, women included, and using them into old age.

“We need more affordable and accessible exercise programs for middle aged and older adults, that specifically focus on improving muscle function – but we also need to learn to train our muscles in a specific way to get the most benefit,” stresses Daly.

That means not relying just on standard gym machines where exercises are often done sitting down, but by using weights or doing exercises with movements that mimic those we do in real life such as squats or step ups, he says.

Shit, so I've got 5 years until I start losing muscle strength. No more cutting, lets get bulking!! ;)

Cheers,
Mike

I'm only staring down the barrel of thirty and I'll admit training and recovery have become harder in the past year. My hips and knees are constantly beat and I have difficulty sleeping due to cramping some nights. But I feel that with careful control of my programming and paying a lot more attention to recovery I will be lifting well into the next 2 decades. As long as I can get a few good years of competition in and achieve a few personal goals I'll be happy, I won't mind having to wind a few things back after that. I can already see myself quitting benching in the long term and concentrating more on overhead work and learning oly lifts.

I'll never stop deadlifting though, ever.