• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Straight Bar or EZ Curl ?

What do you use for bicep curls

• Straight Bar

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • EZ Curl bar

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters
My original statement was that the main function of the biceps brachii was elbow flexion and not supination being its primary function. I'm confused now as well lol

Read somewhere the main purpose of the bicep is to rotate the wrist outwards so ezy bar would defeat the purpose?

I have a theory on straight bar and supination that I want to run past you lot. Any thoughts are appreciated.

A straight bar basically locks the wrist in a supinated position throughout so the movement involves elbow flexion and an isometric element for supination at close to full contraction.

The ezy curl bar also involves elbow flexion but the supination element is either an isometric at 50% contraction or a normal contraction as the bar rotates in the hand.

I see no value in an isometric at 100%. I can't exert any supination force on a straight bar whereas I can with an ez curl bar. In my opinion the exact reason that all the gurus use to extol the virtues of the straight bar is the reason to avoid it.

I rarely see one work the bicep curl as hard as most other exercises, when i say hard i mean the intensity of work, one or two sets is enough, anymore is too much, I'll attempt to explain why, and why the ez curl bar is not the right tool to use.

you have 3 muscle groups;

biceps- attaches to scapula, inserts to ulna and radius (inside and outside forearm)
brahioradial - inserts to humerus, attaches radius (outside forearm)
brachialis - inserts to humerus, attaches to ulna (inside forearm)

The brachialis muscle originates at the humerus.
It inserts on the ulna bone of the forearm.
Although it is a single joint muscle, it effects what goes on in training.

the bicep, long/short cross over the shoulder, the main function is to lift the arm, along with supinating the hand and bending at the elbow..

Using the ez curl and its design tends to initiate the brahioradial as it inserts into the Radius, outer bone of the forearm.

Doing multiple low intensity sets, over time will irritate the elbow caused by strength imbalance around the elbow joint.

Using an ez curl on a preacher bench is like squatting in the smith machine, they should be banned.

Not being able to maintain position on your straight bar is an indication of muscle weakness (lack of strength) at the elbow and not the wrist.

I've mentioned before how the straight bar is more than just a bicep exercise and should be done hard and heavy and seldom.

Last edited:
The majority of </SPAN>bodybuilders believe the only function of the biceps is to be the flexion of the forearm, that is, bringing the forearm from an extended position to a flexed one closer to the upper arm. This is only the secondary function of the biceps. The primary function of the biceps is to supinate the hand, or turn the palm up. Before the biceps can fulfill its secondary function of flexing the forearm, its primary function of supinating the hand must be fulfilled first. What this means for the bodybuilder is that the palms must be facing directly up when performing biceps work. In order to achieve this position, a straight bar or dumbbell must be employed. The E-Z curl, or kambered bar, which so many bodybuilders use, is actually counterproductive in working the biceps as it causes the hands to be placed away from the supine towards a prone position.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/33063613/Mike-Mentzer-s-Heavy-Duty-Training

I think the upshot is that if your biceps aren't facing directly up while under tension, you won't get the full benefit. Maybe I'll just take into account that I should just do 1 or 2 intense sets of what 10-12? (of barbell curls)