• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Strength & Conditioning for footballers

Thats right Gareth.

Most actually push really hard, its just theyve never had the right tools or information.

Before I moved in, the equipment consisted of bikes, 2 bench presses, 3 flat benches, 4 sets of DB's, an A Frame with little BB's, 1 Olympic bar with 2 x 20kg and 2 x 15kg plates, 1 chinning bar and a Smith Machine, bouncy balla, medicine balls, speed ball and big punching bag.

They are able to get cheap membership at Core, some pay there own PT's.

None had squatted.

All the groups squat first now, sets of 10, so far up to 90kg, followed by 40kg x 50.

They also did UDL's for 90 seconds, 1 boy got 51 reps, beating Cory by 1 rep. They managed between 25 and 35 reps in the most part.

So for most, the effort is there, some will never get it. They are a cross section of society, so no surprises there.

On Monday/Wednesday/Friday the guys will do really tough circuits.

Today they all (over 100) did a KB complex, some before training, some after, some before and after, some 3 times

UDL 64kg/30cm
UDL 56kg/15cm
DL 48kg

Thrusters 12kg
Thrusters 10kg
Thrusters 8kg

Cannonballs 24kg
Cannonballs 20kg
Cannonballs 16kg

KB C&P 12kg
KB C&P 8kg
KB C&P 4kg

Swings 24kg
Swings 20kg
Swings 16kg

Thats 150 consecutive reps.

On Wednesday it might be Kegs, Sandbags, Fat Bars and Atlas Stones

On Tuesday and Thursday, its traditional squat/bench/dead/clean, 3 x 5

The boys trained very hard tonight

What's the Cannonball KB move, Markos? I've looked up a lot of KB stuff (thinking of buying a bunch for my PL club) and I know what the other moves are, but can't find Cannonball.

An upright row from the floor.

I've never seen it done or demonstrated in any manuals.

As far as I can tell, I invented it lol

I have an extensive library of books/manuals, including plenty of KB ones, never seen it in any of them.

I have heaps of guys who can get 10 reps with the 64kg KB on Cannonballs

Thanks, that's a good movement. Did the footballers handle that complex okay, or did they get totally fried?

Fried. A couple did okay, some did it 3 times.

My guys did it as well, Rory, Jack, Dim, Mick, Kat and Pierre did it twice.

Two of Maxs boys also did it, Joel and Michael

Ben, I reckon I can get a few one handed.

The boys had their first session of their strength program tonight. We had 14 boys do the optional session.

The program is

Squat
Bench press
Trap bar dead
C&P

All for 3 x 5.

We had 2 boys squat 100kg x 5 x 3 sets

A couple benched 100kg x 5 x 3 sets

Two boys did 167kg x 5 x 3 in the Trap bar deads

I think the best in the C&P was around 70kg

We didnt max the boys out, Russ benched 100kg x 11 on his last set.

Ben, I reckon I can get a few one handed.

The boys had their first session of their strength program tonight. We had 14 boys do the optional session.

The program is

Squat
Bench press
Trap bar dead
C&P

All for 3 x 5.

We had 2 boys squat 100kg x 5 x 3 sets

A couple benched 100kg x 5 x 3 sets

Two boys did 167kg x 5 x 3 in the Trap bar deads

I think the best in the C&P was around 70kg

We didnt max the boys out, Russ benched 100kg x 11 on his last set.

The footy boys will do very well. I think given some time we will see some excellent lifts from these boys.

Great work Markos.

Tonight they did their work on the field.

23kg keg C&P x 5
30kg Fat bar C&P x 5
30kg keg C&P x 5
35kg Fatter bar C&P x 5
36kg keg C&P x 5
40kg sandbag, shoulder it x 10
42kg keg C&P x 5
45kg FATTEST bar C&P x 5
46kg keg C&P x 5
50kg keg C&P x 5
56kg keg C&P x 5
36kg KB's Farmers walk 150m

Only one boy could do the whole lot, and he did it 3 times.

The kegs really tested their wrist strength

Last edited:
They ended up all doing it. I spoke to Goosey and the captain.

One boy that caught softcockin is being cut on Friday. He keeps avoiding me. I asked the captain to have a word. Goose said he was gone.

I explained that softcockin is contagious and it spreads, dont want none of it in my gym

Markos, I'm interested in your thinking behind the conditioning/metcon work coming before starting the strength program?

What's the Cannonball KB move, Markos? I've looked up a lot of KB stuff (thinking of buying a bunch for my PL club) and I know what the other moves are, but can't find Cannonball.

An upright row from the floor.

I've never seen it done or demonstrated in any manuals.

As far as I can tell, I invented it lol

I have an extensive library of books/manuals, including plenty of KB ones, never seen it in any of them.

I have heaps of guys who can get 10 reps with the 64kg KB on Cannonballs

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbPl4oybOhc"]YouTube - Strength Training - Kettlebell Squat Pulls[/ame]

Looks something like that right, but in the video he's not doing them from the floor?

Just skimmed through Kettlebell Training for Athletes by Dave Bellomo, it's the second exercise they demonstrate, under the heading 'Building the Foundation'. They call it the squat pull and it starts from the ground like a deadlift.

Thanks Alvin.

Pete, the footballers have weak hips and glutes, very weak, they cant swing a 24kg KB in good form.

we are doing it separate, Mon/Wed/Fri they train for footy, we do KB complexes, Strongman complexes on these night

Tue/Thur/Sat we do heavy compounds.

Only 10-15 showing up for strength. Whole team must do complexes. Currently have 141 kids at training, not possible to have 141 kids go through a strength program. Its only me and Max.

Goosey is cutting kids every night. Tonight he told the group that anyone that doesnt do my complex can f u c k off now