• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Strength Progression

I reckon the only lift that may be a challenge for Nick is the 150kg overhead, the rest seem very realistic.

Impressive stuff, shows what consistent effort over time can do. Well done to all.

Not so keen on smashing on clients that way, though.

To the OP.

This is a chart I have in my gym

They are standards I have set for 100% raw lifters at PTC (no belt)

Remember, these are only intended for PTC lifters, they are my standards, I'm not asking for criticism, just thought they would give you some motivation, its the sole reason for their existence.

There will be many more PTC comps next year, I'm going to wind back my involvement from CAPO a little. We concentrate on the 5 lifts. For some that dont, they seem high.

Anyway, everything is explained in newsletter # 137

[FONT=&quot]PTC STANDARDS[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]ELITE [/FONT][FONT=&quot]--------------------------------- B GRADE[/FONT]
Deadlift 300kg---------- Deadlift 220kg
Squat 250kg----------- Squat 180kg
Bench press 180kg----- Bench press 130kg
Clean 150kg----------- Clean 120kg
Overhead 150kg------- Overhead 120kg

[FONT=&quot]MASTER------------------------------ [/FONT][FONT=&quot]C GRADE[/FONT]
Deadlift 275kg ---------- Deadlift 200kg
Squat 235kg------------ Squat 160kg
Bench press 165kg------ Bench press 115kg
Clean 140kg------------ Clean 110kg
Overhead 140kg-------- Overhead 110kg

[FONT=&quot]A GRADE----------------------------- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]D GRADE[/FONT]
Deadlift 250kg---------- Deadlift 180kg
Squat 200kg------------ Squat 140kg
Bench press 150kg------ Bench press 100kg
Clean 130kg------------ Clean 100kg
Overhead 130kg-------- Overhead 100kg

You must clear each lift in each Grade to move up

Last edited:
^ Seems fair, Would you say the average noob gets to D grade by the 6 month mark and would A grade within 2 years be fair ?

LOL, I have no one at PTC in the A Grade. Nick is closest, he needs to clean 130kg, he's up to 127.5kg.

I have a few guys in C Grade, 3 in B Grade, a few in D Grade.

Most novices dont make D Grade. The clean & overhead slows them down. I reckon 12 months for the average lifter to get to D Grade, starting from scratch.

Even though Max can do the clean and the overhead in B Grade, and is a mere 5kg off the deaslift and squat, he is 20kg off the bench. Max is D Grade, Kelly is C Grade.

I reckon 5-10 years, dependant on bw to reach Elite.

Bodyweight is no excuse Paullie, Max will be B Grade in 12 months (bench), if a 19yo weighing less than 85kg can do it, anyone can.

Kelly will actually find it harder to get to B Grade, because of the 120kg clean, he has cleaned 110kg once in his life.

Im not making any excuses, Im weak, and to be honest, I dont go for all this grading stuff, you lift what you lift.

IMO grading like this is used to compare, I dont see how you can compare someone who weighs 140kg to someone who weighs 85kg without taking their weight into consideration.

Ok, Nick been training around 2 years now yeah ?
And if you were to sub overhead for MP what would you rate a D Grade MP ?

Last edited:
Markos, I'm curious - why don't you use a strict MP instead of a general Overhead lift (which includes push press and jerk) since you always stress how great a lift the MP is? Is it because of the difficulty in judging?

After 8 months of training, I think I can make the lifts in D grade by the end of the year. Not too confident about the clean though. Can already do the 3 powerlifts. My OH jerk should be around 90kg right now. Only cleaning 75kg atm. :/

Damm, I need to eat more....

Realistic???,

To acheive a lot of those A grade or better you will need to increase you body weight considerably, Say for instance for max or myself to get to elite we would have to nearly increase our pre training body weight by 100% if that is even possible naturally... most people at that elite level would be well over 120kg in body weight..

Body weight and the bodies genetic structure would have to play a part, you cant make your skeleton bigger! stronger yes , but only to a point.. A bloke starting out at 6 foot or more and 90+kg will have a much easier time acheiving this.

Just my thoughts...

I agree trofius that's a big part of it but tendon strength also comes into play as i have know some lanky big buggers that where incredibly strong from working hard years of manual labor.

Im not making any excuses, Im weak, and to be honest, I dont go for all this grading stuff, you lift what you lift.

IMO grading like this is used to compare, I dont see how you can compare someone who weighs 140kg to someone who weighs 85kg without taking their weight into consideration.

Ah, thats an easy one Paulie

STRONG IS STRONG

Okay, lots of queries in the gym tonight, Max is not happy as I've been calling him a D Grade lifter all night lol

I came up with those numbers based on time training.

Anyone training correctly from day one, should easily achieve D Grade in 12 months. If not, you've been f u c k i n g around.

Elite would take a lifter close to 10 years of consistent heavy training, no breaks. A couple of the bigger PA boys would give this a shake, not sure about there ability to clean or overhead press.

Everything else in between. Max is coming up to 2 years training, he needs 5kg on his bench to be C Grade.

He will need another year to add 30kg on his bench to be B Grade, he already has the clean and overhead covered, handful of kg for the squat and dead. So 3 years of consistent training will have him at B Grade.

You can see the natural progression. It works for all lifters, if they use these 5 lifts and train consistently. Weight will make it easier, so eat more to get bigger.

Fat Dave is 30kg heavier than Max, he cant do D Grade. Weight isnt everything.

I have the overhead because MP is too hard to judge. I hate PP, I love MP, I have MP more than I have PP, but its not about me. Recently a member on here said he only MP with a little leg drive???????????????????????

Most dont understand the lift. This is only for PTC lifters anyway, where I can judge, but using the overhead allows everyone at home to play if they wish.

I've had big issues with MP at my comps, thats why I eliminated it and replaced it with the overhead. If you wore long pants, and the wind blew them, I called leg drive lol

Its funny how so many talk about bodyweight, Max complained that I favour the BP, the gayest lift on the list lol, he doesnt give a rats about bodyweight

I dont see how you can compare someone who weighs 140kg to someone who weighs 85kg without taking their weight into consideration.
I see your point Paullie and that is why we have weight divisions in boxing, weightlifting, etc. So just compare your strength (if need be) with someone who is in your BW category.

In the old days bodybuilding competition also had a weight class/height etc. Remember the movie Pumping Iron? Franco won the short (200lbs and under class) and Arnold won the tall (over 200lbs class). Now it's free for all in the IFBB. I may have digressed a bit I think so I'll leave it here and thank you for your patience.

Fadi.

Clearly its an advantage being heavier

Its a bigger advantage being stronger

Chris is a B Grade lifter......he only weighs 93kg.

I have 6-7 lifters in C Grade who weigh between 110-140kg. Kelly is C Grade at 82kg.

STRONG IS STRONG

Markos, I'm curious - why don't you use a strict MP instead of a general Overhead lift (which includes push press and jerk) since you always stress how great a lift the MP is? Is it because of the difficulty in judging?

After 8 months of training, I think I can make the lifts in D grade by the end of the year. Not too confident about the clean though. Can already do the 3 powerlifts. My OH jerk should be around 90kg right now. Only cleaning 75kg atm. :/

I can see your point mate. That being said....if Allan was to weigh 75kg, if he was to do the following lifts..

1.5bw bench press, his bench press would be 112.5
2xbw back squat, his squat would be 150
3xbw deadlift his deadlift would be 225kg.

So although Allan becoming elite would be pretty tricky, it wouldn't be impossible. Becoming an A class athlete is within reach. the human body is able to produce a damn lot more force than we initially think!

[FONT=&quot]D GRADE[/FONT]
Deadlift 180kg
Squat 140kg
Bench press 100kg
Clean 100kg
Overhead 100kg

Most novices dont make D Grade. The clean & overhead slows them down. I reckon 12 months for the average lifter to get to D Grade, starting from scratch.

Markos,

I love your scales as they're tough but inspirational. I'm a lazy weak old man, but I've been at your PPP now for only one cycle and I'm now benching 90kg, squatting 130kg and deadlifting 140kg. At the end of my current PPP cycle I should be benching 100kg (D Grade), squatting 140kg (D Grade) and Deadlifting 160kg (Not quite). So a bit more work to do, but D Grade in my sights. I weigh 74kg at my last weigh in but am upping my calories. These lifts are taxing on a little fella but that's just more incentive to eat more so I can lift more.

If a 5'6" 40 year old sedentary office worker who weighs 74kg dripping wet can aim at these results, any young buck with test leaking out his veins can do it blindfolded. STFW...

Thanks for posting this up.

Cheers,
Mike