• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Strength Progression

The first thing to remember is that these are strength standards. They're standards for people seeking strength and not caring much about other stuff. Some people are taking them as "standards for anyone training whatever their goals," and getting offended.
IMO grading like this is used to compare, I dont see how you can compare someone who weighs 140kg to someone who weighs 85kg without taking their weight into consideration.
The 85kg person can get bigger. Especially since the 140kg person is unlikely to be low bodyfat, so we're not talking about adding 55kg lean mass, more like 25kg.

Of course many people don't want to get bigger. But that will limit their strength. Staying 85kg and wanting to get stronger is like staying 140kg and wanting to be a better gymnast. You want incompatible things, you have to choose between them.
trofius said:
Say for instance for max or myself to get to elite we would have to nearly increase our pre training body weight by 100% if that is even possible naturally...
There are certainly natural limits to how much lean bodyweight a person can put on, based on frame size and so on, beyond that they have to take Vitamin T, as Markos calls it. However, I would suggest that most people - including most Vitamin T users - never come anywhere near their natural limits of growth. They simply don't train hard enough or eat enough.

I understand setting goals based on bodyweight rather than absolute weight. That's my own approach. I do it this way because most people have physique goals which will also mean a bodyweight change. For example, the runty 60kg guy wants to be bigger, well if he pursues a bodyweight bench press, by the time he gets to benching 60kg he'll very likely be 65kg or more, so his goalposts shifted. The chunky 100kg woman pursues a 1.5x BW squat goal, but by the time she gets to 125kg - her old 1.25xBW - she's now 80kg, and has achieved her goal. And so on. The pursuit of the strength goals based on bodyweight makes bodyweight change, and changes the goals - and also changes body composition. Runty and chunky people will reach limits in their strength, limits they can only break by eating good food - which will also change their body composition.

However, most people aren't training specifically for strength. And if you're training specifically for strength, well, as Markos says, strong is strong. Your bodyweight is too small to do the lifts? Then get bigger.

If strength is not your goal, then don't worry about strength standards. I mean, running fast is not my goal so I don't worry about 100m, 200m and 400m sprint standards, do I? ;)

Last edited:
I'm enjoying this topic very much.

Strength is easy to obtain, bodyweight much harder for most.

Simply look on this forum. Nathan said he weighed 92kg at one stage and had impressive lifts. He now weighs 108kg and is mind numbingly strong.

Nick walked into PTC weighing 90kg and could only manage one of the D Grade standards. He now weighs 112kg and is B Grade, a mere 2.5kg shy of A Grade.

Max started at 51kg, he knows he'll need to be 85kg to get B Grade.

Kelly is the one who has stayed at the same weight and got stronger.

In Sept 08 he weighed 80kg and wasnt D Grade. Today he weighs 80kg and is C Grade. His clean is his weakness, he needs to add 10kg to get to B Grade.

For most of us, we'll need to get heavier to get stronger. Most of us will fail because of this.

Thats why I ignore bodyweight when doing these standards. It should be going up all the time, unless you specificaly want to stay in a certain weight class, but thats the decision you'll need to make.

I dont have those limitations when I set standards.

I definitely cant use multiples of bodyweight, because that favours the light lifters by way too much. Max and Kelly are extremely close to 10 x bw for the 5 lifts, Nick is 200kg away.

Nick is rated a B Grade lifter though, way above the other two, simply because he is stronger and has added bodyweight. Just like Nathan has.

So anybody that doesnt like the fact I havent used bodyweight in my calculations, go eat something.

Paul, I reckon we agree on most things. The only thing we will NEVER agree on is.

No strength athlete should EVER miss a lift because the bar was too light.

Think about that and remember why you started lifting.

Good luck at the Nats.

Kyle, Im trying to eat as bloody much as I can hehe.
Eating is like lifting, you have to do more than you thought you could.

That's where milk and milk powder and eggs and protein powders come in, a lot easier to drink a shake than eat a steak.

But I mean, the stomach can expand to 4lt volume. Even at 2lt volume and allowing expansion of volume once chewed up, plus the stomach being full during digestion time, you should be able to eat 6kg of food a day. You won't WANT to eat that much, but you can... :)

If you want to get bigger and stronger, you should look at your meals the way you look at a deadlift. "Wow, that's a lot, can I manage it? I'll do it!" Your lifts should give you a little shiver of fear, and so should your dinners. Epic lifting means epic eating. You may enjoy these crazy guys, especially their food page.

What do I eat?
Anything that has a face and can run/swim/fly away from you. Anything that comes from such animals. Pretty much anything that grew in the ground, on a vine, or in a tree. Use some common sense, but select the most caloric dense items you can find.

what's the world coming to when I start agreeing with what PTC says.
I did my first comp at 90kg, then progressively moved up to 110kg class.
Your body will start telling you when you're getting too fat, for me once I get over 110kg I start snoring too much, which doesn't help my sleep especially when the wife whacks me to stop snoring.
Bro- thats the body telling you its time to get a cpap.
When I first starting competing my lifting weight as a tiny 97kg. Last night I jumped on the scales: 130.1kg. 5 and a half years, added 30kg onto my frame- 130kg on my squat, 102.5kg on my bench, 80kg on deadlift.

Last edited:
Mac, I've been asking myself the same thing. What's the world coming to when I agree with PTC.

It's looking more & more like I'll have to move up into the 77kg weight class for weightlifting. No real biggie really, As long as I move cool weights.......

Bro- thats the body telling you its time to get a cpap.
When I first starting competing my lifting weight as a tiny 97kg. Last night I jumped on the scales: 130.1kg. 5 and a half years, added 30kg onto my frame- 130kg on my squat, 102.5kg on my bench, 80kg on deadlift.

Is that you in ur avatar u nugget?