• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Stretch Shortening Cycle

Aaron

The stretch shortening cycle can be applied to virtually all movements - from picking up a barbell, pressing it, squatting it, or even to throwing a tennis ball.

Do you utilise the power of the stretch shortening cycle in your lifts?

I only recently learned what it is, and found that, by utilising this in my technique, it enables me to steer my efforts in the right direction.

Are you thinking about this whilst you train?

He means like for instance Benni's deadlifting style, before he rolls the bar to him he pops his bum back and actively stretches his hammys and as soon as it rolls to him his hamstrings switch from an eccentric to concentric contraction and then are fully loaded.
Basically the reason behind this is obvious, a more lengthened muscle will have a stronger contractile force, and thats what we want.

For the squat its like pushing your hips back to sit down, your actively stretching the hammies and when you bounce out of the hole you go straight into a concentric.

Im not sure if its exactly like a stretch reflex but I think stretch reflex is within the muscle where as stretch shortening cycle is the connective tissue.

He means like for instance Benni's deadlifting style, before he rolls the bar to him he pops his bum back and actively stretches his hammys and as soon as it rolls to him his hamstrings switch from an eccentric to concentric contraction and then are fully loaded.
Basically the reason behind this is obvious, a more lengthened muscle will have a stronger contractile force, and thats what we want.

For the squat its like pushing your hips back to sit down, your actively stretching the hammies and when you bounce out of the hole you go straight into a concentric.

Im not sure if its exactly like a stretch reflex but I think stretch reflex is within the muscle where as stretch shortening cycle is the connective tissue.

There's a fair bit of debate as to if rolling the bar actually involves a stretch reflex (I've heard the argument for rolling the bar is that it helps sitting the weight back on the heals).

The stretch shortening cycle can be applied to virtually all movements - from picking up a barbell, pressing it, squatting it, or even to throwing a tennis ball.

I only recently learned what it is, and found that, by utilising this in my technique, it enables me to steer my efforts in the right direction.

tell minh to post his own threads

Indeed, Minh introduced me to SSS. And I have discussed the concept at length with a few of the top lifters at MU. And now, I am brining it to the table here. If you don't want to contribute Gawain, then don't! Remember this - it's a forum!

Calling all Minhs Calling all Minhs. He will write u pages on this if he allows himself on the forum. Someone dangle a titan carrot!!

In short: Yes..

However i believe that there are some issues with it..
Yes you generate more power and more force.. however form needs to be perfect.. postural speaking a lot of people have various imbalances which as soon as you speed up their form these imblances become really evident.. e.g during the squat for instance there tends to be alot of forward flexion through the knee increasing the sheer forces and knee issues.. hence the lovely benefit of knee wraps..:)

And for comp benching there is a visible pause.. so it is not even required.. plus you don't want to break your sternum like guys in the gym.. oh wait these days they don't even make it that far..:)

I've played around with anatgonist stretching with good effect.. to increase activation fo certain muscles.. but only really applicable in the deadlift..

The long answer is yes i use it consciously.. but in a controlled fashion and only in certain lifts

I have no idea what the strength shortening cycle is, but considering I'm much taller than Minh I guess he's a master of it. At 5ft11" I seem to be a bit tall compared to the russians and Ed Coan, so i'd like to hear about this shortening cycle.

this is what the Wilk's training program is predicated on
and does have its place on a benchpress raw with a pause if the pause is less than 4 seconds

the suits reinforce this to an extent that if you are perfect raw in the squat, the suit can just be attached with little adaptation

gawain is my brother and i love him, but he has a bigger head than me

no time to write today will later

Indeed, Minh introduced me to SSS. And I have discussed the concept at length with a few of the top lifters at MU. And now, I am brining it to the table here. If you don't want to contribute Gawain, then don't! Remember this - it's a forum!

Lmao? I chose not to didn't I?
Loosen your pantyhose Champ your dorothy dixers aren't going to make people stronger. Ooopps....contributed :S

I like your use of the term Dorothy dixer.

What are your thoughts on training supplements Gawain? And could you reccomend any?

Cheers

Dorothy

I have no idea what the strength shortening cycle is, but considering I'm much taller than Minh I guess he's a master of it. At 5ft11" I seem to be a bit tall compared to the russians and Ed Coan, so i'd like to hear about this shortening cycle.

I'm not sure if you joking mac or serious..? :)

I'm not sure if you joking mac or serious..? :)

completely serious, here's even more evidence of the strength shortening cycle effectiveness, I'm taller than both these guys, so I'm obviously in desperate need of this magic cycle to get shorter to be more competitive.

Powerlifting Australia Ltd.
Men's Rankings - 2010 - Top 20
NAME BWT TOTAL WILKS
1 Chris Caltabiano 114.60 940 546.704
2 Stephen Pritchard 124.90 940 535.943