• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

struggle to eat enough

Calories is the most important thing
Then macronutrients
Everything else is the 1% and you won't notice until you're very lean.
I am just starting to notice the difference between waving my calories day to day and just entering single digit body fat. I am more tired on the low calorie days for sure, never used to be. But I eat lunch on the high calorie day and I pick up really fast and training is amazing. The following morning session is also good.
Never noticed this before though even though I "naturally" waved my calories

I used to have the same issue I found palatinose to be a godsend for increasing cals without having a heap of sugar (although technically it is sugar) its got a gi of 32 it tastes like sucrose but less sweet I make up a shaker bottle with 30g of eaa's and 70g of palatinose every morning and sip it throughout the day I've heard of people getting stomach problems when they go over 50g a day but ive never had this issue, maybe this will help? Its really expensive here I get it shipped from the UK in 5kg bags and its still about a quarter the price even with shipping. PM me if you want the details

that's inneresting...
almost exactly same as sugar (ie, a glucose and a fructose molecule), but slightly different bond (1,6 vs 1,2), same energy, but low GI...
http://www.beneo-palatinit.com/en/F..._is_Isomaltulose/Palatinose-Brochure_EN_1.pdf

70g of it is about the same amount of sugar/calories as a 600ml bottle of coke...

is there any real benefit apart from lower GI? for diabetics?
if it is taste rather than GI.. then $3/kg glucose from BigW?

It's got nothing to do with taste it's a bonus it tastes ok I started using it because like most ectomorph newbies I went straight for a mass gainer full of maltodextrin which is very high gi causing a huge insulin spike & basically a one way ticket to fat arse city so I searched for something low gi with low insulin impact I first tried waxi maize but that shit's like drinking chalk it's horrible plus there was way too much debate on whether or not it was high gi or not so I tried palatinose because it's low gi doesn't spike your insulin isn't even bad for your teeth & it worked a charm so I've been using it for about 2 years mixed with eaa's or whey it's a far better alternative to off the shelf gainers

sugar is sugar, doesn't matter what the source is. Don't fool yourself into thinking one sugar is better than another- it ALL gets converted to glucose. Low GI? Doesn't matter if you're eating 50g of it in a single sitting

It's got nothing to do with taste it's a bonus it tastes ok I started using it because like most ectomorph newbies I went straight for a mass gainer full of maltodextrin which is very high gi causing a huge insulin spike & basically a one way ticket to fat arse city so I searched for something low gi with low insulin impact I first tried waxi maize but that shit's like drinking chalk it's horrible plus there was way too much debate on whether or not it was high gi or not so I tried palatinose because it's low gi doesn't spike your insulin isn't even bad for your teeth & it worked a charm so I've been using it for about 2 years mixed with eaa's or whey it's a far better alternative to off the shelf gainers

seriously, all of which is a waste of money.

go for real food. If I can eat enough, anyone can.

yes, I am an ectomorph and yes, I've made great progress this year.

no weird supps, just more food, good training, and sticking to it.

Yep.

I used to weigh 72kg believe it or not. So I started eating. Now weigh 98. :p
And probably a lower bf. I was extremely skinny fat.

Tim.

Yep.

I used to weigh 72kg believe it or not. So I started eating. Now weigh 98. :p
And probably a lower bf. I was extremely skinny fat.

Tim.

me too. I tipped just over 40kg ... now 47-47.5kg depending on the day.
And lower BF.

i was the ultimate skinny fat. :(

Yeah sugar is sugar but then again a carb is a carb right? That's like saying getting any carbs from any source has no difference what so ever which is incorrect, all carbs end up as glucose the difference is the speed of absorbtion so depending on what you're trying to achieve would determine what you'd use it acts nothing like sucrose at all, and the next point yeah just eat more food is the obvious answer but I doubt he's so dumb he couldn't work that one out he is asking for alternative solutions and I gave him one bottom line, it worked for me and i'll always use it and recommend it.

i enjoy how much debate and discussion this has turned into. i have taken everyones suggestions and really ramped up my diet looking for things which pack more calories.
yesterday i had eaten 4200cal before i had even had dinner (mind you i struggled to eat too much at dinner so i probs would have only got another 500 odd) so i would have topped out at the end of the day somewhere around the 4700cal mark. and my balance was approx 28% fat/ 35% carb/ 37% protein.

we will see how my weight is at the end of the week

i enjoy how much debate and discussion this has turned into. i have taken everyones suggestions and really ramped up my diet looking for things which pack more calories.
yesterday i had eaten 4200cal before i had even had dinner (mind you i struggled to eat too much at dinner so i probs would have only got another 500 odd) so i would have topped out at the end of the day somewhere around the 4700cal mark. and my balance was approx 28% fat/ 35% carb/ 37% protein.

we will see how my weight is at the end of the week

Nice work. The balance, was that in calories or grams?
If it was calories (4kcal per gram of carb and protein, 9kcal for fats) then that is a good balance. If you're counting grams though be careful with high carbs and fats at the same time

Nice work. The balance, was that in calories or grams?
If it was calories (4kcal per gram of carb and protein, 9kcal for fats) then that is a good balance. If you're counting grams though be careful with high carbs and fats at the same time

it was grams... :/ what am i being careful of?

and most of those carbs came from the two protein shakes i have in the day

Last edited:
Spiking your insulin followed by eating lots of fat is not really a good idea, you will put on fat pretty fast
Go for the starchier carbs if eating higher fats. So potatoes, yams and the natural vegetables avoiding the grains. If you want to eat grains then turn the fats down and go for the leaner meats really.

Insulin will clear the blood stream, this is it's job. And it doesn't care what is in the blood lol. If you post up a food log then maybe we will be able to look at it and arrange it a bit better so you can still eat the foods you like and can easily get down while minimising fat gain

@Oni; that is not necessarily true. Doesn't happen to me at all.

more likely to happen if you are insulin resistant.

Yeah it's not true 100% of the time. As I said the timing and the types of food and the rest of your diet is important. You cook very healthy, I've looked all over it lol. You eat the right types of fats, the one's high in monounsaturates which the body likes to use as fuel and can readily use up for energy. You're also not eating more than 4,000kcal a day lol. The time you eat your carbs is probably very good as well. Last thing at night after dinner or at the weekends? I am making assumptions here so sorry if I am wrong

The right way to do things would to focus on the meat first as well as the starches. Stew would work very well for this, I'd avoid most Italian food unless it was made with real olive oil personally. Then at night is the right time to binge on the carbs or sugars if you want to.

The bad way would to get up, drink a glass of orange juice, have a massive bowl of porridge and syrup on top and then some eggs and bacon on the side lol. As soon as insulin is spiked and remains spiked with the combination of sugars and starches the body will not burn any fat at all! Then through the day you're eating your fats, the body won't use them for energy so will just store them- what else would it do with them? Remove the fats from the breakfast and have a light lunch and then you'd be much better off. By dinner rolling around insulin will be at a sensible level again and you can get away with some more shenanigans

This is why I am asking for the full diet plan, just to check everything is fine and there isn't fat being gained unnecessarily

Good way = low fat breakfast, light lunch, big dinner. Low carb breakfast, starchy lunch any sugars at night

Bad way = big spike of insulin that will last all day followed by loads of polyunsaturates