• Keep up to date with Ausbb via Twitter and Facebook. Please add us!
  • Join the Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Ausbb - Australian BodyBuilding forum is dedicated to no nonsense muscle and strength building. If you need advice that works, you have come to the right place. This forum focuses on building strength and muscle using the basics. You will also find that the Ausbb- Australian Bodybuilding Forum stresses encouragement and respect. Trolls and name calling are not allowed here. No matter what your personal goals are, you will be given effective advice that produces results.

Please consider registering. It takes 30 seconds, and will allow you to get the most out of the forum.

Subacromial Burstitis - Shoulder pain from squatting

A

Annihilation

For the past 7 weeks I have had pain in my right shoulder, have not been able to press overhead and limited flat bench press work. The injury occured squatting. Now this week i have done the same to my left shoulder. ( I am half way through the Smolov base cycle, so squatting 4 times a week).

Went an had an ultrasound and was diagnosed with subacromial burstitis causing impingement. Has anyone dealt with this? Any treatments or exercises that have helped? The doc said to take Ibuprofen and rest, if it doesnt heal in a couple of weeks to get a cortisone shot.

Any help would be appreciated, cheers.

A fiend of mine as bursitis in her hip and it causes a a great deal of pain and discomfort, mostly when trying to sleep. Unfortunately, the best treatment is actually doing nothing to aggravate it further. Anti inflamatories and steriods, as the Dr suggested, is the most common treatment.

Looks like lifting restrictions for you for several weeks.

I had burtitis in my shoulder, dont remember if it was subacromial.

I beat the shit out of it.

Went and got dry needling on the shoulder area, released a shitload of tension. Then did tonnes of rotator cuff work with bands. Kettlebell shoulder presses with the bell centered behind. It eventually healed.

When I had it I couldnt press vertically but could press horizontally. Or it may have been the other way around.

^^ had the exact same thing, couldnt press vertically but could press horizontally with DB`s if i didnt go to heavy.

Google the 7 minute rotator cuff solution PDF mate, or i can email it to you if you PM me your addy. Its got some really good rehab stuff in there to get you back on track.

Stay away from the cortisone shots if you can, if you work on it enough and rest well you will get it back to 100% again. Took me around 2-3 months for it to go back to normal and yes squatting was pretty bloody painful with this issue, i cant remember what i did instead it was so long ago now, i think i concentrated more on deadlifts and sprints etc. and on things that didnt cause pain.

I've had a very similar issue and it took me forever to find a solution. As per above had shots, did exercises from physios etc nothing really helped for over 8 months. Constant aching and very uncomfortable feeling in the shoulder, especially anything over head or shoulders back in the squat position.

My advice is don't lift anything heavy over head during rehab, No heavy bench press, back squats or anything that involves the stabilising muscles in the shoulder.

What helped me in the beginning was constant stretching, approximately 10-15 times per day of the effected shoulder. Do a google search for shoulder stretches and begin trying them out, as soon as you find one that gives you the pain at the end of your shoulder mobility, It will probably be an over head stretch that mimics the shoulder position of the back squat, use this stretch. Now continue until you find another stretch that gives you pain at the end of your shoulder mobility, you may only find one that hurts and that is good :) if you do find another include it in your stretching routine.

Hold each stretch for 2m in total, you can break it down to 30sec rest, 30sec etc. Repeat at least 4-5 times every second day for first week then every day after that.

Once you are comfortable with the stretches and you feel like progress has been made, introduce self massage of the shoulder muscles giving you problems (probably rear delts but could even be muscles of the thoracic spine area.

Let me know if you need further explanation, I'm happy to elaborate.

I had the same issue and sometimes it does come back like recently.

As others had said take a rest on the upper body and concentrate on the supporting muscles around the shoulder. I did end up having a cortisone shot and was pescribed diclofenac to calm the inflammation.

I was working in construction and do a bit of manual labour so the shot and the tabs helped me along with light rehab/strength training on the rotar cuff.